Hygiene Moan

Options
Hi All

I just wanted to have a little moan about hygiene in the workplace.

I am the youngest in my building at 27. (the youngest by about 10 years)

I go to the gym sometimes at lunch - i have a shower after and come back to the office clean and smelling lovely.
Several colleagues (women) dont do this and the smell is horrid, i could understand it if there are no gym showers in the gym they attend, but there are two showers in my building!!!

I use the restrooms on my floor - and i make sure that the toilet is flushed and i have washed my hands before i leave.
Several colleagues (women) dont do this.... and then theyre sticking their hands all over the homebaking!!!! (which thankfully im not eating)

If per chance i do have to...erm...go #2 at work...i make sure the toilet is clean for the next person to use.

TWICE!! today alone, i have gone to the bathroom - only to be greeted by someone elses POO not only in the bowl, but splattered all around it!!! as well as bloodied toilet paper left in the bowl, and no less, A USED Tampon....in THE SINK!!!!! WTF

Now forgive me, but surely, in a building full of adult professionals, the simple act of not leaving your *kitten* for someone else to clean up should be ingrained in our brains by now... I know these bodily functions are completely normal, im not saying i dont do this...of course i do! but i have the common decency, courtesy and respect for my fellow colleagues not to leave a disgusting mess for someone else to clean up!!!

I cannot believe that women would be this gross!

And of course they are all immaculate so you cant even guess at who it would be

Ive put a sign up now that says - "if you WONT clean it, DONT use it".

RANT

What are your office HATES! x

Replies

• esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    :noway: ewwww. Is this an office or a zoo?
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options
    Gross! I have worked at places where people didn't wash their hands but never to that extreme. Now, I do have this same complaint about public restrooms. It's not that hard to tidy up after yourself. The tampon in the sink tops it all though. That's just plain nasty. :sick:
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    I know right!!! all these people get paid whopping salaries too!! its revolting.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My Mom always taught us to leave a restroom so clean that no one should know you even used it. Apparently these folks were not taught to clean up after themselves. I used to work in a place like that--just nasty. It just amazes me that folks can be so ignorant and thoughtless. I feel your pain.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    That is seriously disgusting behaviour. I'm always incredibly clean in public places such as the workplace. I mean, I am at home too, but probably even more so when I'm sharing an office bathroom. For someone to leave a tampon in the sink & feces floating, is entirely gross. I'm not surprised though. Women's bathrooms are ALWAYS the most dirty & disgusting. It's like they think they don't have to clean up after themselves because it isn't their house. That gives me MORE of a reason to clean up, but whatever.

Gross. Just gross.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would say something to your HR department about that... that is completely uncalled for!!! Gross!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read David Sedaris's essay "Big Boy"?

http://www.dearmitt.com/sub_fast/big_boy.php3

It goes right along with this topic, and it's hilarious. :)
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That is beyond disgusting .... I used to work with a man who was the biggest chauvinist. He would complain at lunch if his wife didn't make his sandwich correctly, and he would leave the seat up in the unisex bathroom. We knew it was him because the year before the two men who used it NEVER did that, they were clean and respectful even though they acted like frat boys more than teachers sometimes. I would even find pee on the floor sometimes, it made me sick, but my only other option was the student bathroom and that was even worse. Your story tops anything I have ever heard though! The SINK??? Ugh!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I see plenty of guys leave the bathroom and not wash there hands! I now use a paper towel to open the door on my way out. People are gross!
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Some people have no class!!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Okay wow, I luckily have never encountered the problems you have. That is just gross!!! Print out a sign and put on the mirror, inside and outside of every stall that says to clean up after yourselves. That is horrifying!
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As I read this I am so thankful to be one of 2 girls in my work place. If there is a mess I know who left it!!! On a side note when I deploy and have a community bathroom with countless other women who work on the base I never fail to be disgusted! Sorry you have to deal with this. Maybe the signs will help... hopefully
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I work in a very professional building & experience the exact same things. UGH! :explode: Really, now? I think the only thing worse than doing this is doing this while your are in the company of someone else! :explode: :explode: :explode:

I live on a farm & my animals aren't this bad! :laugh:
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I run a daycare in my home, and the kids that can use the bathroom by themselves leave it in better condition than your co-workers.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    That's gross. I teach young children (last two years it was first grade, this year will be kindergarten). I've always used the little girls bathroom in our hallway because I didn't want to walk all the way to the other side of the building to use a staff bathroom. Even the little girls room, used consistently for 7 hours by 5, 6, and 7 year olds has never EVER been as bad as you describe the one your coworkers use.

It's sort of disturbing to me that you have to put up with grown women who can't be as clean and respectful as 5, 6, and 7 year old little girls!
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I discovered women can be just as gross as I always thought only men were during my Navy days. Girls would use the head attached to our berthing, and pee all over the floor because they wouldn't sit on the seat...but it would be clean enough to sit on if THEY weren't peeing on it. Found a turd in the shower stall once. Tampons hidden in all kinds of crazy places. Nasty, majorly streaked underwear put in the communal laundry. Some people just aren't ever taught to clean up after themselves, I guess...
  • k1229
    Options
    exactly!!!

There are signs in each cubicle - that say to maintain hygiene and a clean environment - please flush toilet and wash hands.

Is it too much to ask?

We dont have a HR Department as we are a peripheral site to a larger company (The NHS) and i cannot imagine given the current NHS Climate that they would care unless it was a patient related service - which we arent providing - the general public has no access to our building.

RANK RANK RANK!! Disgusting!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Kind of reminds me of my last trip to the Walmart bathroom. My girls had to go & we had to wait forEVER because there were 2 stalls open and both of them were so gross. Poop on the seats and everything. First of all, how does that even happen?? Second why would you leave it for someone else to see? & that is nothing compared to what my bf had to deal with when he used to work at a gas station with a unlocked bathroom that was outside. He had to clean walls with feces on it, more than once.

I think people just are so gross in bathroom because they know someone else has to clean it up. Not fair. I don't want someone else to have to clean up my waste. I don't get people.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    seriously?! I've seen my share of disgusting bathrooms (I worked at a bar where the servers were responsible for cleaning them. ugh.) but....as a woman....how does a tampon even end up in the sink? I mean, if we're just talking foulness and laziness, doesn't it take more effort to throw it in the sink than to drop it in the toilet...even if you dont flush it? I just can't understand it (which honestly, is a good thing I think. If i DID understand it, something would be very wrong.)
  • k1229
    Options
    seriously?! I've seen my share of disgusting bathrooms (I worked at a bar where the servers were responsible for cleaning them. ugh.) but....as a woman....how does a tampon even end up in the sink? I mean, if we're just talking foulness and laziness, doesn't it take more effort to throw it in the sink than to drop it in the toilet...even if you dont flush it? I just can't understand it (which honestly, is a good thing I think. If i DID understand it, something would be very wrong.)

Even worse thought - theres a sanitary disposal unit next to the toilet!!
    These people are crazy! Im putting out an anonymous memo!