Afraid of pain and loose skin...

Options
Hello all!

My name is Chantelle, I am starting a sugar detox and health eating journey and looking to work my way down to 200lbs from 340. I am one of the folks who works a desk job, minimal exercise, likes snacks/sweets and has tried many diets out there.
I joined to track and hold myself accountable because even though I have done well and have lost about 5 lbs after starting a sugar detox about a week and a half ago and 18lbs total in about 2 months, I find im myself holding back because of my body aches and fear of loose skin.
Anyone else have these aches or fear? How did you overcome it?

Replies

• gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You should fear being obese, diabetic, getting a heart attack ,etc. more than loose skin. If your body aches, see a doctor or do light exercise like walking, or no exercise at all till you get to a lower weight and it doesn't hurt your body to move.
  • chantellecalgary
    Options
    You should fear being obese, diabetic, getting a heart attack ,etc. more than loose skin. If your body aches, see a doctor or do light exercise like walking, or no exercise at all till you get to a lower weight and it doesn't hurt your body to move.

Thank you! I'm assuming the back aches will go away as I continue to loose weight and my body will become more accustomed to the new exercise.
    Yes I was totally afraid of being overweight or in bad health forever, that is why started this journey. I guess it's just a fear of change or being the new me.
    Lol I guess everything just takes some getting used to!
  • raychfelix24
    raychfelix24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it
  • chantellecalgary
    Options
    You can do it

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I agree here--you are afraid of the wrong things. Joining MFP is the first step. Get your daily calorie goal and stick to it everyday. Get a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. You don't have to go to the gym, you can start with walking. Every week try to up your distance slightly, or go just a little faster. Take your measurements once a week and write them in a journal. This will show you over time how much progress you're making. Don't ever give up. Best.
  • chantellecalgary
    Options

I agree here--you are afraid of the wrong things. Joining MFP is the first step. Get your daily calorie goal and stick to it everyday. Get a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. You don't have to go to the gym, you can start with walking. Every week try to up your distance slightly, or go just a little faster. Take your measurements once a week and write them in a journal. This will show you over time how much progress you're making. Don't ever give up. Best.

Great advice! I actually didn't think of keeping a journal. I will try this.
    Thank you!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Loose skin doesn't come over night. I'm down almost 50 lbs and have so, so little loose skin... only noticeable when I actively scrunch it up.

It won't suddenly happen. You'll have time to adjust to your body and the loose skin and if you decided that you're unhappy enough with it, you can always stop. But I PROMISE you, the results are going to have a much bigger impact on you than some loose skin.
  • tangiemilligan
    tangiemilligan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try exercising in a pool. It is less hard on your joints.
  • ysache13
    ysache13 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to keep on this site and sharing. I was shy of 300 lbs myself over 10 yrs ago, then went to 150 and sure I have that lower area that would be ideal to have removed but honestly, it's NOT that big of a deal and I was looking GREAT in my clothes no matter what - I gained and went now up to 187 (down to 183 in a week) and I keep looking forward knowing how GREAT I FELT (that's so much better than looks) - I remember hearing this one line many years ago that I still say to myself "no food tastes as good as abstinence feels" - it's the truth babe! I could freak out (emotionally) and go back up as we all know it's a lifestyle change - but we both know it's a "one day at a time" and the other thing I'll leave you with is the same simplicity - just don't "think" about yesterday at ALL - honestly- it's over and done with - enjoy today and what you CAN choose to put in your mouth - and look forward (hope) for your tomorrow's. I lost my best friend July of 2015, and lost 3 summers, I look forward to going outside - plus for you - I will also say this - I KNOW how much being 296 felt (my back was in pain ALL day long, my legs, knees, etc., all hurt) and I can promise you those pains go away - that alone I hope motivates you - and my vitals have been on target without even exercising now all these years! No joke! I'm here for ya! Together we all can!!! I send love and hugs, Yana (sorry I wrote a book)
  • Tophers_Motivation
    Options
    For me, monitoring calories and walking are what did it. Now, I did it pretty slowly, but I don't really have loose skin. I also had some back aches when I first started and was using a bike. But I don't use a bike or have back aches anymore. 90 percent walking for me. Though now that I've lost, I probably should do weights a lot more.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job, where there's minimal exercise opportunities. I decided I wanted to "eat clean" which to me meant limiting processed foods. It doesn't sound exactly like your sugar detox, but I can see the similarities. I have three thoughts to share: First, I have seen success with just using hand held weights for resistance training. I have two, three and five-pound weights, and alternate lighter weights/more reps with heavier weights/fewer reps. If you don't want to invest in weights, you can raid your pantry and use canned goods. Second, get more sleep. Our bodies get the munchies when we struggle to stay awake. I've made a firm resolution to get more sleep, and I no longer want to carb-load every afternoon to stay awake at my desk. Finally, as you start to shed pounds, the stress on your joints should lessen as well. You may want to help that along with some fish oil, but check with your doc first. If you'd like to friend me, please do. Good luck.
  • chantellecalgary
    Options
    ysache13 wrote: »
    I encourage you to keep on this site and sharing. I was shy of 300 lbs myself over 10 yrs ago, then went to 150 and sure I have that lower area that would be ideal to have removed but honestly, it's NOT that big of a deal and I was looking GREAT in my clothes no matter what - I gained and went now up to 187 (down to 183 in a week) and I keep looking forward knowing how GREAT I FELT (that's so much better than looks) - I remember hearing this one line many years ago that I still say to myself "no food tastes as good as abstinence feels" - it's the truth babe! I could freak out (emotionally) and go back up as we all know it's a lifestyle change - but we both know it's a "one day at a time" and the other thing I'll leave you with is the same simplicity - just don't "think" about yesterday at ALL - honestly- it's over and done with - enjoy today and what you CAN choose to put in your mouth - and look forward (hope) for your tomorrow's. I lost my best friend July of 2015, and lost 3 summers, I look forward to going outside - plus for you - I will also say this - I KNOW how much being 296 felt (my back was in pain ALL day long, my legs, knees, etc., all hurt) and I can promise you those pains go away - that alone I hope motivates you - and my vitals have been on target without even exercising now all these years! No joke! I'm here for ya! Together we all can!!! I send love and hugs, Yana (sorry I wrote a book)

I appreciate this, it's really shows another side of things when you can hear how happy it makes people to have the change and to be proud of it.
    Great job!!
  • chantellecalgary
    Options
    For me, monitoring calories and walking are what did it. Now, I did it pretty slowly, but I don't really have loose skin. I also had some back aches when I first started and was using a bike. But I don't use a bike or have back aches anymore. 90 percent walking for me. Though now that I've lost, I probably should do weights a lot more.

I have heard on more than one occasion that the slower it's lost the better because it gives you skin time to adjust. It makes sense for sure. Walking more sounds like a good place to start for me too :)
  • chantellecalgary
    chantellecalgary Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I also have a desk job, where there's minimal exercise opportunities. I decided I wanted to "eat clean" which to me meant limiting processed foods. It doesn't sound exactly like your sugar detox, but I can see the similarities. I have three thoughts to share: First, I have seen success with just using hand held weights for resistance training. I have two, three and five-pound weights, and alternate lighter weights/more reps with heavier weights/fewer reps. If you don't want to invest in weights, you can raid your pantry and use canned goods. Second, get more sleep. Our bodies get the munchies when we struggle to stay awake. I've made a firm resolution to get more sleep, and I no longer want to carb-load every afternoon to stay awake at my desk. Finally, as you start to shed pounds, the stress on your joints should lessen as well. You may want to help that along with some fish oil, but check with your doc first. If you'd like to friend me, please do. Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions :)
    Its funny how once someone suggests something, it just makes total sense!!
    I'll also be adding you as a friend %100. Thanks again!