pasta or carrots? please help

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'd personally spend the money on dried beans and rice. Soak your beans overnight before cooking to shorten the cooking time, and let them simmer on a weekend or in the evening when you're home. If you happen to have a slow cooker, it will be even easier to cook the beans. Make a big batch that you can keep in the fridge or freezer and munch on all week.

If I had money left over after buying the beans and rice, I would spend it on either frozen veggies, which are often cheaper than fresh and won't spoil, or the cheapest fresh veggies you can get.

This isn't a perfectly well-balanced diet by any means, but it's more nutritionally balanced than surviving on just pasta, carrots, or apples.

This is exactly what I would do. Dried beans, rice, and a bag of frozen vegetables. OP, if you have Family Tree/Family Dollar in your area that has groceries, this is where I have seen the cheapest prices for these items (not sure where you live).
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There’s no shame in going to a food bank! Abot 5 years ago when I was first starting out on my own I had to stop in at the food bank a few times. They provided a good bit of nutritional food, meat, canned vegetables, rice and beans. They threw in some different breads and snacks too but it wasn’t all bad food. I’m a huge budgeter now and shop at stores like Aldi and Lidl for most of my groceries. There’s a bunch of youtubers that make videos on how to eat off of $5 or $10 a week, I definitely recommend you check some out. Good luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    pasta and beans, you can get enough to last a week with £3.

also, look into food banks in your area.

This! If you can only get one, get beans. Unless you just really can not stand the taste of beans or you have some type of allergy/intolerance to then dried beans are like going to be the most nutritious bang for your buck.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot to mention that oatmeal would be a good food to buy. You can get a huge container with 30 servings for about $2. And a big container of dry roasted unsalted peanuts for around $1.50 with around 16, 1 oz servings. Or you could get a cheap loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for about $3 together. Just some other options for you. Like everyone’s said already though, dry beans are your ultimate bet. You’re going to need some protein and you can get it from the beans or lentils. I’ve seen the Jenny Os turkey hotdogs at bilo for $0.99 too. Even eggs would be good, I get the 18 count of eggs for about $1.30 or so.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Unless lentils and rice make me sick.... And not being in that situation today, but having been in the neighborhood growing up. IF you gotta eat you gotta eat. Ramen, hot dogs, and canned green beans/frozen broccoli isn't fancy, but it's relatively filling and close enough to complete macros. High sodium, but water is free. When you gotta eat you gotta eat if that means being honest enough to ask/beg for help.... do what you need, and hold your head high.

[edited by mods]
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Unless lentils and rice make me sick.... And not being in that situation today, but having been in the neighborhood growing up. IF you gotta eat you gotta eat. Ramen, hot dogs, and canned green beans/frozen broccoli isn't fancy, but it's relatively filling and close enough to complete macros. High sodium, but water is free. When you gotta eat you gotta eat if that means being honest enough to ask/beg for help.... do what you need, and hold your head high.

Yep, completely agree. Ramen was a staple for me when times where tight in college. Add some protein and some vegetables and it's a pretty good meal.

[edited by mods]
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have been poor and learned to like beans and lentils. They are staple foods of many cultures and are versatile.
    http://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/recipes/

Seek out assistance from your government or local organizations.
    I would let your family or friends know your situation even if you have already borrowed money. I would be happy to feed someone at least 1 meal a day or give them food we don't need. People helped me when I needed help and I understand it is hard to ask. If you feel bad about it offer to cook for them too, do chores or errands in exchange. People are always complaining they don't have enough time to do things.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would try to find some eggs. They keep me fuller longer. I can’t imagine not having 1-2 people in my life that would spot me a few dollars or even pick me up a few things. I am sorry you are in this situation. Definitely hit up a food bank for whatever you can. Can you receive PayPal from the US? I don’t know much about that. But I’d like to help you out.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would lean towards rice & beans/lentils as a staple food if incredibly broke. Add some canned or frozen veg (nothing wrong with canned vegetables) and/or eggs and/or chopped store brand hot dogs if money allows.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    peanut butter goes pretty far too (usually cheap store brand options available) and will supply some protein. And white bread to have it with for sandwiches should be cheap.

Oats are also good for the money.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    A potentially useful resource for you, OP: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

Hoping you can get out of this situation soon!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    TO: you are in the UK. Are you near Aldi or Lidl? The former is preferable as they tend to be a bit cheaper. You can buy lots of cheap food there.
    a fairly big bag of carrots: 25p
    the cheapest 6 eggs are about: 60p
    a cheap container of cereals/oats: 50p
    500g of the cheapest pasta: 30p
    400gr of tinned tomatoes: 25p I think (might be 40p)
    3 tins of tuna or anchovies are around 80p
    cheapest fullfat milk is way below 1p
    they often have other vegetables for around 50p. take some of those as well.

If you don't have Aldi or Lidl nearby then go to your closest big supermarket. THe cheapest products are usually at the bottom of the shelves.

Eat the cereals with milk for breakfast, the full fat will keep you full for longer. Cook a big pot of pasta with the tinned tomatoes (you can also get some with spices) carrots, tuna or anchovie and the rest of the vegetables. You should be able to eat of this twice a day and stretch it for a whole week. Plus cooking this will not need a lot of electricity. Eat carrots whenever you feel hungry inbetween.

Yirara, a sheep that mainly shops at Aldi and Lidl, and spends about £80 on groceries per month.

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I vote for pasta. And now I'm off to google how many carrots you have to eat before you start to turn orange.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'd personally spend the money on dried beans and rice. Soak your beans overnight before cooking to shorten the cooking time, and let them simmer on a weekend or in the evening when you're home. If you happen to have a slow cooker, it will be even easier to cook the beans. Make a big batch that you can keep in the fridge or freezer and munch on all week.

If I had money left over after buying the beans and rice, I would spend it on either canned or frozen veggies, which are often cheaper than fresh and won't spoil, or the cheapest fresh veggies you can get.

This isn't a perfectly well-balanced diet by any means, but it's more nutritionally balanced than surviving on just pasta, carrots, or apples.

I second this.