App to track running

Options
2»

Replies

• woodruffsteve1467
    woodruffsteve1467 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why do they cut the calorie count? Is it not accurate? Just got a vivosport today
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Garmin & Strava. But friends are also on Strava so that was a big driver for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think mapmyrun will give you the info you mention, I haven't used the others.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I usually use MapMyRun although for awhile I used the Nike running app. They changed with an update mid training for a 10k and I lost everything so I stopped using them. I also keep a copy of my data else where in case along with the training plan.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ Running and like it. I also use Strava for bike rides.
  • RoseAllisonx
    RoseAllisonx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies! :)
    I’m currently using strava, but it has been too cold to run outside (-10 degrees celsius, not good when you’re asthmatic) so I haven’t been able to use it on an outside run yet.

About the GPS watch, I’m looking into buying one when I’m getting more serious about running! :)

Someone also mentioned that they don’t care about their kph - I know pace is more important, but I’m so used to being on the treadmill and seeing the kph, I guess that’s why I want to know my kph. :) but so far strava has been my favorite app, it might change after a few runs though. I’ll see!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    A phone is fine, no need to buy the watch, unless you really want one (they are lighter and they track HR with some degree of accuracy). I don't believe that the GPS is any more accurate on a watch than on a phone.

If you want to track HR on your phone, get a bluetooth HRM (Wahoo fitness, etc.). The chest ones are a bit more accurate than on your wrist (if you care).

As for apps, there are so many. I end up using the Wahoo Fitness app, which is simple and gets the job done. It also automatically uploads to MFP.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 920XT (only because it's multi-sport & has a built in triathlon setting etc) and Garmin Connect as my primary app for tracking (it's free) & Strava for seeing what everyone else is up to.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that the GPS is any more accurate on a watch than on a phone.

I'm a mobile phone the tracking app is in contention with a number of other services for the attention of the GPS, which may not be a dedicated function on the sensor set. As a result is getting less data than in a dedicated device like a watch.

That may not be hugely important, but in general the pool of error for a phone is going to be bigger than for a watch. The cumulative effect of that has the potential to be significant.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options

I'm a mobile phone the tracking app is in contention with a number of other services for the attention of the GPS, which may not be a dedicated function on the sensor set. As a result is getting less data than in a dedicated device like a watch.

That may not be hugely important, but in general the pool of error for a phone is going to be bigger than for a watch. The cumulative effect of that has the potential to be significant.

Not buying it. I have a GPS app that tracks both accuracy as well as location on the phone ("US Topo Maps"). The biggest factor affecting accuracy is sky-view. In other words, GPS sucks under foliage, in canyons (natural or artificial), in heavy rain, and also when your phone or watch is blocked by your body. When the sky-view is good, the accuracy goes below 10m (absolute), which is about as good as is theoretically possible. In the past, I found that the phone was as good or better than a Garmin hiker's GPS, whose sole purpose was GPS tracking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Not buying it. I have a GPS app that tracks both accuracy as well as location on the phone ("US Topo Maps"). The biggest factor affecting accuracy is sky-view. In other words, GPS sucks under foliage, in canyons (natural or artificial), in heavy rain, and also when your phone or watch is blocked by your body. When the sky-view is good, the accuracy goes below 10m (absolute), which is about as good as is theoretically possible. In the past, I found that the phone was as good or better than a Garmin hiker's GPS, whose sole purpose was GPS tracking.

Constellation visibility is certainly important. The more space vehicles that the device can see the greater the accuracy in three dimensions. Within the GPS constellation the maximum visibility is 12, and most devices cap out at 12 channels. Most of the time only 9 SVs are visible, hence the value in accessing GLONASS.

Physical obstruction of the signal is easier for the processing to deal with as the signal is just absent. If it's attenuated by water, either rain, foliage or human tissue, the change for the processor is the effect on the timing component of the message content.

Notwithstanding all of that, given that diff-GPS is no longer necessary then a 10m pool of error is quite poor.