Fellow long distance runners, how much do you run?

Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    3 5-mile runs and two half-hour strength sessions per week if I'm not training for anything. Add in a weekend long run if I'm training. I also do short hikes of about 2-4 miles on many weekends. I run half marathons; no desire to do anything longer than that.
  • _em_soph_
    _em_soph_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I run 5-6 days per week and about 25 miles per week. One day of kilometer repeats, one day tempo (5 miles), one day ladder (200, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 200), 2-3 days easy.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It varies spending on where I'm at in the training cycle and injury. In the last year it's been as little as zero and as much as 60 miles per week. On average it's been 23 mpw but that's skewed greatly because my running volume goes way down in the summer.

@7lenny7 As a fellow Tree Basher-Trail Hound mine is the opposite. It goes up in the summer as the Northern winter close's 99% of the trails forcing us onto the roads or paved park paths. The cold/snow has been miserable this year so that has really set a lot of us back. That darn Boat of yours :) keeps you off the trails. Although it's great family time and a real learning experience for the kids.
    35km/week which makes it easy to pickup any HM's that catch my eye at the last moment.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great to read what others consider distance. I run 5-6 days per week, and I hit about 30-40 mpw.

Hoping to do Pittsburgh 1/2 marathon in May.

Thanks everyone

I'll be running Pittsburgh Half (and the 5K the day before). I ran the full last year. Great race.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Great to read what others consider distance. I run 5-6 days per week, and I hit about 30-40 mpw.

Thanks everyone

I'll be running Pittsburgh Half (and the 5K the day before). I ran the full last year. Great race.

Cool to see some people doing Pittsburgh. I'm sitting it out this year, but will likely be there cheering on others.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Varies..usually minimum of 70 Miles per week..split up between running, walkingand elliptical. I am active 7 days a week..my body is used to it..I also do spin at least twice a week and core, pull-ups and abs everyday..some weights..I need to stretch more and better nutrition..hike when I can..there are a lot of long distance runners here..some folks have different opinions on what long distance is..I try to do s tempo, intervals with some speed up and long runs and just plain running or walking as I feel
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I run a little over 10km, 5 days/week. I guess that works out to a little over 30mpw. Not really interested in racing, just in staying healthy.
  • mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 3-5 miles 5 days a week and a longer run(6-10) on the weekend. I do strength training 2?days a week as well. I want to do a Yoga class once a week, but haven’t been able to make that happen yet. I don’t have a race I’m training for, but may look for a half in early summer and one in the fall. I’m doing my first trail run- just a 5k this weekend to see how I like that.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hum...Only 23 miles this week I guess.
    Also swimming, biking, and trying to lift 3x + yoga once every 1-2 weeks though.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Also swimming, biking, and trying to lift 3x + yoga once every 1-2 weeks though.

And impressive hand Stands on the Beach as X-Training. Balance & strength
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »

And impressive hand Stands on the Beach as X-Training. Balance & strength

My core is usually killer strong. Plus I try to practice yoga.
    Thanks.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Depends on what season it is and if I'm training. 45-70 miles a week, I guess.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I run about 25mpw. I do it because I'm nearly 50, and if I didn't do it I'd blimp out. Not just that..It puts things in perspective. A seemingly big problem can look a lot smaller after 6 miles. There's one more reason, a beer never tastes so good as after a good long run.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a hiatus (due to burnout and the flu from last month). I did 100 miles in February, got 150 miles planned for March, and a half marathon planned for April. weekly mileage is low for me as I am trying to build my speed back up.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone

Pittsburgh's a great one! I'm also doing it this year. Love love love the crowd support. The hill at mile 11.5 is evil, but the rest of it is awful. (And I'll always love the woman who had a sign last year at mile 12.1 saying "One more mile to go!")
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I began running about 19 years ago, and still do, but I'm not consistent. Currently I'm working on losing a few more pounds before increasing mileage again, since I hate running with extra weight. Hubby and I did a half marathon almost a year ago, and a 10k in November. We've done a couple of marathons and about 12 half marathons in the past--mostly before having kids. Nowadays races are a good motivator for me to get out and pound the trails.

We're currently signed up for a 10k in November, and planning to do the Hog Pen Hill Climb in Jan. 2019 (11or so miles up a big mountainous hill--??).
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Running four years now. I have Race to robie creek elevation half marathon in April. Mostly cross training right now. Making progress.