Full Body Workout vs. 3-4 day Split?

Options
I've read that full body workouts are best when trying to lose weight. Splits for improving body parts or building muscle. Thoughts?

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've never heard that before and I think it's nonsense. In fact the opposite is generally believed.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of what you hear and read is nonsense.

My advice: Lift, rest, repeat.

That's all there is to it unless you want to take growth drugs. I don't recommend it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Don't weight train for weight loss as your goal. Manage your diet for that. Weight train for whatever is your priority, gaining strength, preserving muscle, changing body composition. Decide and pick the program based on your skill level and experience and your goals.
  • sethbrezo
    sethbrezo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Don't weight train for weight loss as your goal. Manage your diet for that. Weight train for whatever is your priority, gaining strength, preserving muscle, changing body composition. Decide and pick the program based on your skill level and experience and your goals.

I would like to train for preserving muscle and changing body comp. I enjoy splits more because I enjoy focusing on body parts, but if full body workouts are best, I enjoy those as well.
  • mmapags
    Options
    sethbrezo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

I would like to train for preserving muscle and changing body comp. I enjoy splits more because I enjoy focusing on body parts, but if full body workouts are best, I enjoy those as well.

Well the question is best for what? Splits are more time consuming but support the goal of preserving muscle and changing body comp if programmed correctly. If that's what you prefer and will enjoy doing, do it.

There sometimes seems to be a bias here for full body workouts. They aren't better or worse, they are just different. Based on some recent research I've seen, hitting all muscle groups 2x per week with at least 48 hours rest between in optimum. I think it was Brad Shoenfeld and Mike Isreateal that published it. How you accomplish that is mostly your preference assuming good programming.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • sethbrezo
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Sorry. Not sure how you delete it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I think managing yoru diet is the best way to control weight.

As for full body vs splits... full body is more efficient for most people, but ultimately, you should be trying to hit each muscle group 2-4 times per week. If splits do that for you then go for it. If full body works better, then do that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

As for full body vs splits... full body is more efficient for most people, but ultimately, you should be trying to hit each muscle group 2-4 times per week. If splits do that for you then go for it. If full body works better, then do that.

I agree with all of this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Agreed, as long as your program is structured to hit each muscle group at least twice. Some splits hit each body part once a week, that is not ideal. programs like PHUL hit each twice and is a good program for intermediates. Fully body 3x week is also good for beginners as the progression is quite fast, and early on in lifting you can progress much faster.
  • sethbrezo
    edited February 2018
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Agreed, as long as your program is structured to hit each muscle group at least twice. Some splits hit each body part once a week, that is not ideal. programs like PHUL hit each twice and is a good program for intermediates. Fully body 3x week is also good for beginners as the progression is quite fast, and early on in lifting you can progress much faster.

"PHUL"? What's that program? Also, what's considered "beginner" status? Obviously, if you're just starting off, but does it also apply to if you've been out of the gym for awhile or if you just don't feel like you're a pro. ha
  • sethbrezo
    Options
    Another question about splits, if I do something like
    Monday - Legs/Shoulders
    Tuesday - Chest/Back
    Wednesday - Rest/Cardio
    Thursday - Legs/Shoulders
    Friday - Chest/Back

Would that work or should I include arms?
  • mmapags
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sethbrezo wrote: »
    Another question about splits, if I do something like
    Monday - Legs/Shoulders
    Tuesday - Chest/Back
    Wednesday - Rest/Cardio
    Thursday - Legs/Shoulders
    Friday - Chest/Back

Would that work or should I include arms?

Honestly, don't screw around designing your own program. Pick an established one. Or hire a competent trainer to design one for you. Good program design is not for amateurs.
    jjpptt2 gave you the link to PHUL. Take a look at that and PHAT. Both well designed programs by a pro who is well respected.
  • sethbrezo
    Options

OH! I've done that before, just didn't know it had a name. Thanks!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There really is no "blanket" best way to train. The best way to train is the way that accomplishes your goals and is something you can stick to for the long-run.

1. Understand your goals
    2. If you're only goal is to lose weight, make sure your nutrition plan accomplishes that and then find a form of exercise that interests you, challenges you, and something you can maintain.
    3. If strength training is a goal, find an established program or quality trainer.

I recently read a program by Paul Carter called "Super Solider Protocol" and it sounds like it would be fun. You have a strength block and then a hypertrophy block basically, and you just go back and forth. There are a lot of ways to train, don't fall into the trap of a "best" way, find what appeals to you. But in less you have a background or education in developing strength & conditioning programs, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, find an established program or trainer.