What do you put in your Oat meal?

Options

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing to put in oatmeal is QUINOA! It's better protein and low glycemic and tastes just as good.
    A nice mix of steal cut oats & quinoa is great...toss is some soy milk, flax/chia seeds, unsweetened chocolate, agave or truvia and top with chopped walnuts. Pumpkin pie spice is also great in there! It might sound weird, but sometimes I stir in baby food, like bananas or some greek yogurt or protein powder. Toss in whatever you like! PS You can also add pudding mix... i use sugar-free chocolate pudding mix all the time to make it taste more chocolatey :)

PB2 is also great..its powdered peanut butter and has a lot less fat/sugar than the regular stuff... stirs in better and works great in protein shakes too.
  • agrabau
    agrabau Posts: 35
    Options
    I love craisins and cut up apples!
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I prefer steel-cut oatmeal to other kinds (though I'll eat the other kinds just fine, too.) When it's cooking, I make enough for a week. I put in some real vanilla extract and some "baking spice" (all purpose spice mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, etc.) It reheats just fine.

While I find it doesn't need anything, sometimes I put on a splash of rice milk. Or, alternatively, I put on blackstrap molasses, which I don't exactly love, but I do it anyway, as it's a great hit of iron and calcium. I like to think the oatmeal covers up the taste of the molasses.
  • maximummuscle35
    Options
    just plain oatmeal with water no sugar or anything?
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I too was looking for a way to like oatmeal and a friend gave me her recipe...I eat it every day either for breakfast or lunch and love it!

1/2 c old fashioned oats ( I like to use the 1 minute kind or the reg and just blend it a bit first for a better consistency)
    1 c skim milk
    cook in saucepan for about 10 minutes until thick and creamy
    1 T promise light margarine
    1 T sugar

Super yummy!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    craisins
    chopped almonds
    chopped apple
    flax seed
    enough milk to make it slightly runny

YUM!!!!! I love oatmeal - eat it almost every day!
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    yogurt, raisins, almonds, coconut, brown sugar, banana, maple syrup, mixed nuts and berries. I like this idea of peanut butter ...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, a chopped up pear, sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I put wheat germ in my oatmeal and yogurt. Yummy and increase your fiber intake :)
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I make several different variations of baked oatmeal with either apples and raisins or bananas or peaches. I make a huge batch that lasts the entire week and it even taste better cold the following day. I found a recipe online but motified it to make it healthier and lower in calories. My recipe has oats, almond milk , fruit, eggs and spices.
  • jrn1115
    jrn1115 Posts: 35
    Options
    I have been obsessed with oatmeal! I make plain instant oatmeal with water (a little less than suggested, because i don't like soupy oatmeal), and then I add a little bit of almond breeze vanilla almond milk, a little bit of honey, and depending on my mood i'll either add crushed peanuts, sunflower seeds, or sliced almonds. It lacks sweetness because I don't add a ton of honey but it tastes absolutely delish!

PS- all these other variations sound awesome! I may put apples and cinnamon in mine once the really tasty ones come in the fall.
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    anything and everything! im always coming up with new ideas! coffee, unsweetend dark cocoa powder, peanut butter, walnuts, a little milk, a little shaved dark chocolate on top and if ya want...break up a fiber one brownie on top, a little sweetener, stevia or truvia...brownie batter oatmeal! tastes like dessert! soo yummy
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe the other day that I really want to try, but I haven't gotten around to. Make steel-cut oats and then top with a 1/2 c of caramelized onions and some feta cheese. It sounded delicious. I haven't tried it yet because I've been eating mine cold, and this would be something better with hot oats.

Right now, I'm doing overnight refrigerator oats with steel-cut oats, vanilla almond milk and 1/3 of a container of Kroger carbmaster vanilla chai yogurt. I've found it's better if it sits for about 15+ hours with the steel cut oatmeal. Then I just throw a handful of blackberries and raspberries on it and eat it cold. It's creamy and tasty. It's about 220 Cal. It's still a little heavy on the carbs, but it's decent on protein and just enough fat.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love it with no sugar added applesauce, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and a packet of splenda. It tastes like apple crisp! Also sometimes a tablespoon of peanut butter an a few chocolate chips...Chocolate and peanut butter is my weakness so I might as well make it a little healthier!:wink:
  • wentzel2
    Options
    I love oatmeal but I like it more with flavor. To obtain a more flavorful breakfast I use Smuckers Sugar Free Low Calorie Breakfast Syrup. 1/4 cup is only 20 calories. You only use MAYBE 1/8 of a cup so it's a great addition to flavor your oatmeal.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I know it's not as healthy as the "real deal", but I actually just buy the Great Value instant Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal and add some cinnamon and frozen blueberries to it
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My favorite things to put in oatmeal are sugar (or Truvia, since it tastes the same:) and cinnamon. It's a great way to get my "sweet" for the day, since I have an awful sweet tooth! Apples are also really good in oatmeal. Oh, and if you get tired of oatmeal, try cream of wheat with some sugar in it. It's really tasty :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    All these recipes sound great! I was planning on starting to take oatmeal for a meal too. Any idea how I can store oatmeal for the week? Or is that not advisable?

My mom would always buy the container of Quaker instant oats. It come in a big cardboard cylinder with a plastic lid, and it'll keep for months! lol. I hope I answered your question...but I'm not sure if that's what you meant :)
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, flaxseeds, bananas - nyom!
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Usually honey, dried cranberries and walnuts. It used to be butter, brown sugar and cream, but I acutally like the healthy way better now. Fresh strawberries are great too!