What to eat at an amusement park?

Options
anphi14
anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
I'm going with my best friend to Hershey Park tomorrow. Now, if you don't know what it is it's an amazing amusement park (ROLLERCOASTERS) that is in Hershey, PA (Hershey's Chocolate). I'm not worried about eating chocolate there because it's not all about it inside the park, just decorated that way, but there is alot of junk food throughout the park like every other amusement park.
I need some tips on what I will be able to eat without feeling like I'm depriving myself from the delicious amusement park food lol.

Replies

• mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I went to Sea World about a month ago, and they had lots of fruit on the menu, it is also good for hydration it was so absolutely hot there.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My advice is to figure out the one or two things that are "must have" for you and indulge in only those. Watch the portion and you'll be fine.

Since you say you don't want to deprive yourself, none of us can help since everyone's "junk" food is different. For me, I grew up going to fairs so I HATE amusement park and fair food. But I do splurge in Lemon Shakeups when I go. I can pass on everything else. Someone else can't pass say on the Elephant Ears so that is their splurge. Just decide what it's going to be and stick to one order of that.
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Same strategy as eating fast food.

- Avoid fried foods.
    - Eat sandwiches with no (or minimum) sauce.
    - Opt for fresh fruits when available.
    - Drink water instead of soda.
    - Remember, any food is fine in moderation (keep your daily goals in mind).
    - Have the MFP app going on your smartphone, if you have one! It will help you look up food values in a pinch!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I just went to Hershey park 2 weekends ago. We stopped and ate in Amish Country first which is about 20 min or so from the park and had our fill of pretty healthy food. We also had water and healthy snacks on the drive over there in a cooler. When I got to the park I just had fries and split w/ my daughter (I'm sure not the best choice), but I was more thirsty than hungry because of the heat. I drank lots of water. I think you can select 1 amusement park food (like funnel cake yum!) and drink w/ water. It's just one day of fun :wink:
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Last time I went was to Universal a few years ago on a vacation. I ordered from the kids menu, which gives you a good amount of food and doesn't make you feel like you're overeating or induldging. Not to mention, its more wallet friendly :) Have fun at Hershey!
  • rubbyk
    rubbyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    share everything with your friend, as I recently did at our local county fair. you probably still eat to many calories but you will get to try more of the food. Count it as your cheat day
  • TracyMT
    TracyMT Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    More and more places are adding healthier items to their menus, hopefully Hershey Park is no exception. Try to look for salad offerings with grilled chicken, fruits, and drink water, lots of water. If you feel like splurging on a treat, try to eat only half, and don't feel too bad about it since you'll probably be doing lots of walking in the park. Having a treat once in a while isn't the end of the world. The important thing is to get back on track the next day.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Lets see....

deep fried cheese on a stick, chicken on a stick, deep fried twinkie, frozen banana on a stick, french fries with vinegar, Cotton Candy on a stick ( it is at least Fat Free), a loaded hot dog, Fresh squeezed lemonade, slow roasted BBQ pulled pork, beef with extra sauce!, caramel apple on a stick, Elephant ears loaded with fruit toppings and powdered sugar, I almost forgot corn dog on a stick.

I didn't post this to be evil or taunting. My county fair is this week, and all of the above have been screaming my name in my sleep and haunting me when I am awake. I am doing the bite method. One bite of cheese on a stick, corn dog, one french fry, and maybe a taste of the BBQ. I will just make my family get the things I really want and have a nibble!

Good Luck!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can get away with a little more at an amusement park because of all the walking around you'll be doing!

Just enjoy yourself and don't go nuts!
  • osucristina
    Options
    I WORK at an amusement park. Lol. Trust me, there is no "healthy" or "playing it safe" it's best to just indulge in one or 2 things and get right back on track after. If you think about all the other times you indulge, this isn't any different, except you happen to be at a place a lot more fun than a restaurant!!! And walk walk walk everywhere! :)