Add something new to your basket each week

Options
I read lots of people bored with their diet, struggling for ideas etc so I just thought I'd share something I've been doing the last few weeks...adding something new to my basket.

Today it was cottage cheese, just tried a teaspoon and like it, I'm sure it will go in my salads and pittas.

Last week I bought Fromage Frais for the first time, it's on my shopping list as a regular now.

These are just a couple of examples for me. I had no idea what I was going to do with them or if I'd like them, but once you have it you start looking for new ideas to use it.

Next week will be granola I think.

Replies

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    great idea. Also to check magazines, cookbooks, online for new recipes :)
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!
  • 67Brandy
    Options
    Try cottage cheese with diced tomatoes, fresh or canned(drained). I learned to like the combination last year. Shredded Asiago cheese is wonderful. Put a tablespoonful in your scrambled egg to add some flavor. Hummus is something I have learned to love on a Real Foods Corn Thin. I h ad never had it before starting the No Sugar No Flour diet.:happy:
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent idea...I do the same..try new foods, recipe, or search the internet for ideas on snacks, lunch & dinner...hey it's been working for me since January when I started my new lifestyle change...don't want to get bored :smile:
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
    I recently tried Wheatberries, it's a grain. I cooked them then added fruit( madarin oranges, apricots, dried cranberries, pineapple) and a little of the mandarin orange juice for a sweet hearty side.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Try cottage cheese with diced tomatoes, fresh or canned(drained). I learned to like the combination last year.

Put a tablespoonful in your scrambled egg to add some flavor.

Will definiately try this! Thanks.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Today I am going to try . . . sardines. :D
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try half fat creme fraiche - it's a great substitute for cream. I add it to soups and curries if I want that creamy taste without the calories.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    Cottage cheese is awesome with dried basil and black pepper!!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Before being vegan I loved cottage cheese.

My new food this week is nutritional yeast. I'm adding it in almost everything I cook for a B vitamin boost.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    Braggs nutritional yeast is great.. I have a rice steamer and season the rice with yeast and salt (or Bragg's liquid aminos!) before I cook it
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just go to your local farmers markets...there are always new and exciting and different types of things there! And they are healthy and low calories plant foods! :)
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this the past couple of months, and it really does open your eyes to new things! So far I've tried plums (fresh and dried varieties), almond milk, a lot of different varieties of the Morningstar Farms products, different cereals, etc. And like someone else mentioned, try looking online or in magazines, or even at bookstores' cookbooks, for ideas. Even if certain ingredients in the recipe aren't something you like, just substitute it with something else you DO like. :happy: