Homemade taco seasoning

Options
jenng38
jenng38 Posts: 105
Since I started my low carb diet I also wanted to avoid processed foods as much as possible, so I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and it is so good! and for all the people trying to limit sodium, just omit the salt...it will still taste great!
1 TBS chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 +1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Just mix together and store in an airtight container! I doubled the recipe so I can always have some on hand. When I am making taco meat, I add about 1 and a half TBS to 1 lb. of meat, but you can add more if you like it more spicy!

Replies

• StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    Bumping this for later, sounds yummy and I always have those ingredients to hand! :happy:
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks for posting!
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    oooh... sounds yummy! Thanks!!!

~Sonia
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yummm!
  • akwagner25
    Options
    bump. Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely have to try this. We are using taco seasoning all the time.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    bumping the s.hit outta this! thanks!
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Bumping too - fantastic, thanks!! I thought good tacos were gone forever! haha!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I like to add smoked paprika if I have some. I started doing this to cut out some of the salt. Its just as good as the packaged stuff and so much better for you!!! Thanks for putting the word out! :smile:
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bump!
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    At the risk of sounding really dumb...what does it mean when everyone says "bump" LOL I guess I am not up to date on all the computer lingo :)
  • cherod70
    cherod70 Posts: 24
    Options
    great idea!! Thanks :)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I needed this one!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump! I make this all the time - using the same recipe, omitting the salt and adding smoked paprika. I usually multiply the recipe by 12 and make a whole big container of it!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use that recipe too! Though I've modified it a little here and there. I make 4x the amount at a time. It's great with extra lean beef.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump... for later to try it out!!!! Sound easy to make.
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    Bump
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    At the risk of sounding really dumb...what does it mean when everyone says "bump" LOL I guess I am not up to date on all the computer lingo :)

Bring Up My Post
    It puts in on the list that will be pulled up if you click on the "My Topics" tabs, so you can refer back to it easier (basically, it links you to it when you haven't got anything to say).
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably obvious, but if you are watching sodium, be sure to check the ingredients on the chili powder you're using. If it's a blend, it's almost certainly got a ton of salt in it.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to have found a homemade taco sauce my family loves. I brown ground beef and add:
    8 oz can tomato sauce
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 heaping T chili powder
    3 garlic cloves minced
    and hot sauce and salt to taste

Simmer for about 10 mins.