Help with picking a smartwatch!

Options
richardgittens
richardgittens Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! So, as the title suggests, I'm looking into buying a smartwatch but I'm having real trouble deciding.

Things I really would like:
Easy connection to MFP,
Good, accurate heartrate and activity tracking
GPS tracking for runs

Things I'd like but could go without:
Onboard music
Contactless pay
Water resistant

Has anybody got any suggestions? My phone is an android if that affects your suggestion.

Thank you so much!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I recommend a forum search, there are probably a dozen recent conversations about all the options.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I were to get a smart watch I'd first and foremost look for compatibility with my phone. I have a samsung galaxy, so the obvious choice would be a samsung smart watch for me.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 645
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I second the Samsung. I have the Gear Sport and love it, but I also have a Samsung phone.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Go to dcrainmaker.com It has detailed reviews of most of the fitness watches.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Samsung is terrible about standing by their products. I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. It doesn't have the on-board music, but I think they just released a new one that does. Had I been able to wait a few extra months, that's the one I would have purchased. I am very happy with my Garmin!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I second the recommendation of looking at DC Rainmaker and starting with this post more specifically - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/winter-technology-recommendations.html . Skip around to the bits about watches and trackers.
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 645

I'm stalking Garmin's website to order this with music. I wish they'd release it already :)

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin VivoSmart HR+
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    kimhski1 wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 645

I'm stalking Garmin's website to order this with music. I wish they'd release it already :)

One watchout...for onboard music, make sure that the watch can get a quality bluetooth connection while outdoors.

I stopped using on-board music on my Apple Watch (2nd gen) because it couldn't establish a good BT connection with my headphones while outside given the distance from the watch to the phones and the fact that the signal had no walls to bounce off of. Add in the fact that BT signals hate moving through body mass and sweat and it was pretty miserable. I ultimately just started carrying my phone and learned that I really don't mind it at all.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I second the Samsung. I have the Gear Sport and love it, but I also have a Samsung phone.

I used Gear Sport for a month. Missed my old Fenix 3 so much. Now, that I have it back, I wouldn't change a Garmin Watch for Samsung one voluntarily. Depends of course what you look for in a watch. Few advantages of Gear Sport didn't outweigh all the disadvantages for me.

Also, for both Garmin and Samsung, doesn't really matter which phone to use. Samsung watches do work better with Android phones than iPhones, but if it is Samsung or some other brand, doesn't matter. Garmin and Polar watches work virtually identically with both Android phones and iPhone.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For a decent HR monitor plus GPS and an app that syncs well to MFP you could try the Polar M430. I don't use the smartwatch function linking it to the phone for alerts and so on, but it does have that function.

For me the Polar range feels better for tracking activity than some of the others out there, and I always use a chest strap when monitoring HR during activity as that's better than the wrist monitor.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like my Fenx 3HR, but a big issue for me is I cracked the screen on a VAHR so I wanted the sapphire lens. Was $440 Cdn at Costco (but I see they are $400 now). No music but I'm just trying out Gear Iconx earbuds that have onboard music.