WTF I’m not sore after lifting...

Options
I currently lift 4 days a week and 1 day of sled work/HIIT. I’m rarely sore on my lifting days. What is going on? I miss being extremely sore after lifting, it used to be my indicator of a great lift.

*I am still progressing on all my lifts and have had noticeable gains.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't get DOMS either. It is in no way a reflection of your workout intensity or (in)ability to achieve results.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't get DOMS any more either, been doing it too long I suppose but I agree with @livingleanlivingclean, its not a reflection of your workout.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    your body adjusts to where you don't get the doms tantrums afterwards anymore. i always assumed that's partly because doms tends to happen when you're working the muscle on an eccentric movement, and after a while your muscles just get better at lengthening for eccentric, without microtearing themselves.

it's a good thing, and doms doesn't really mean you did 'better' overall. but i relate to liking it now and then just as a sanity check about which muscles did most of the work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I only get DOMs now if I do something different or change my volume significantly. Your body is just adapting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know soreness does not indicate a good workout or muscle building. You are progressing in your lifts and that is the most important part. But I can also understand wanting to feel a little something, it is the mental part of it all. Feeling extremely sore though can actually hinder your progress especially if you aren't able to train muscles as frequently. You can try modifying your rep ranges, add holds, different variations once a week or so, also adding more stretcher exercises like squats and variations lunges, deadlifts etc .. but at the same time this isn't necessary and I wouldn't go messing with programming too much.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I never understood people who wanted to be sore. If I never got DOMS the rest of my life, I'd be elated!

The old adage of "No pain, no gain" I guess. A lot of people get the impression that they aren't working hard enough if they don't get sore and that's probably because they relate it to being a new lifter and getting DOMs was common.
  • Mikeyiscool182
    Mikeyiscool182 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who wanted to be sore. If I never got DOMS the rest of my life, I'd be elated!

The old adage of "No pain, no gain" I guess. A lot of people get the impression that they aren't working hard enough if they don't get sore and that's probably because they relate it to being a new lifter and getting DOMs was common.

Been lifting a long time just recently noticed that I’m barely sore if at all. I just miss being really sore. And yes, “No Pain, No Gain” is what I’ve revolved my lifting around.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. It usually just means you've changed something (started a new exercise or regime), or you've upped the frequency or volume, neither of which are necessary to make progress. You can also be sore after a terrible workout.

If you're still progressing and have noticeable gains I would enjoy the extra time not in pain, and continue as you are.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Use progress and gains you are making as your indicator. Heck use your mirror too.

I look for a satisfying feeling in my recovery from a hard training session that's when building happens not by having painful DOMS. My next lifting day will be that much better.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Word!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you really want DOMS, do 10 pushups every 30 seconds on the half minute. Keep going until you can't complete the 10 in 30 seconds.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I get more doms from lifting something for 15 reps than I do lifting a near max load for 1-3 reps. Which one puts greater strain on my body and results in greater adaptation? despite me not being sore at all. DOMS is not an indicator of a good workout. It's a result of inflamed tissue. Which could be from, unfamiliar stimulus, dehydration, inadequate protein and or rest. Any and all of the above can be factors that contribute to doms.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

well, call me weird but i kind of like the sensation itself, provided it's not in the extreme end of the scale.

i guess it's got something to do with such completely-reliable gratification. having a tender muscle means that it will feel ecstatic if you lay a bit of foam roller on it.

okay yeah; i'm most probably weird. but i'll own it.