The big 1200 vs. 1500 calorie debate!

Options

Replies

• saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with this post is this: There is a very big difference between, say, a slightly pudgy 5' tall woman eating 1500 calories a day vs a heavier 5'10" woman eating 1500 calories a day. For the shorter, lighter girl, 1500 calories might be too much. For the taller woman who still has a lot of weight to lose, 1500 calories a day is probably not enough. These "one number fits all" declarations are kind of worthless.
  • lottabody1
    lottabody1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, this is so helpful!, I lost about 20lbs in 3 month, but not because i was dieting, i was going through a loss and just did not eat! then i put myself on a 1200 cal diet, and sometimes i didnot eat that much, so now i began to see the weight go up, so now i know why thanks!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I tend to stick between 1200 and 1500 net calories (as in, I eat most of my exercise calories).
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Depending on size, 1200 calories could work just fine. If you're 5 feet tall, chances are that's not too few calories if you are eating your exercise calories. If you are a 5'8" woman, 1200 is probably not enough.

From personal experience, muscle mass also plays a role. I'm 5'6" about 228 right now but I had been a powerlifter and wrestler for the better part of my life and just got out of shape. At my peak, I was 185 -190or so at 12% BF. I lost some muscle mass due to inactivity but still had a good amount. Most calorie counting sites estimated my maintenance around 2400 calories per day. So the first time I tried losing weight I started eating 1700-1800, worked out about 5-6 hours per week and lost about 10 pounds the first 3 weeks. After that, the next three weeks I lost less than half a pound per week doing the same thing. I was told I was still eating too much so I cut to 1600 and the losses slowed even more.

Then I took a chance and bought a bodybugg and found out that I burn 3200 calories on average per day, sometimes up to 4200. So, I started eating around 2200 and eating a little more on days I burned a lot. Since then it's been a steady 1.6 to 4 pounds per week.
  • kochany
    kochany Posts: 32
    Options
    Under eating is as bad as over eating.
  • lissarv68
    Options
    What works for me may not work for you and vice versa, our bodies are not one size fits all and neither are our nutritional needs.

I feel at my best when I keep to 1300-1400 calories a day, regardless of how active or inactive I was. I tried eating back calories and just felt bloated and overstuffed. So I've gone back to what had me lose 55 pounds in 6 months. For me, it's all about maintaining a certain number of calories.

If I go under? My body lets me know because I get light headed, I start to see spots, and I get a headache. I have problems with blood sugar levels so the up and down of the calories just doesn't work for me.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    But Some People Claim You GAIN Weight in Starvation Mode?
    Starvation Mode itself will not cause weight gain. However, a combination of starvation mode, binges, and carb loading, can cause weight gain. Once the metabolism decreases, your energy requirements are lower. So you have to eat less just to maintain your current weight. The body has become more efficient at using and storing energy. But most people have a hard time maintaining a very low intake consistently for long periods. So if your typical intake is 1000 (just an example), but you have occasional binges of 3000 and the binge is mostly carbs, the body can’t use all of that at one time anymore. So the body shuttles it to fat storage. This won’t be a huge gain, but a lb or two a month maybe. It’s not dramatic, but if someone lives this way for years, they can gain a decent amount of weight

This is what happened to me for three years prior to joining MFP. It's not that I actually "binged" by eating until I was sick, but once or twice a month I would go out to dinner and eat whatever I wanted: high fat sauces on pasta, fries, burgers, appetizers, and nice big dessert. After weeks of less than 1000 kc a day, my body had no use for that quantity of calories, and stored it as fat. Over time, I did put on weight - 5-6 pounds a year. I was clueless as to why I wasn't losing weight. :grumble: Then, I took another year to figure out how many calories I was burning per day and with exercise, as well as learning how to actually weigh and measure food accurately :noway: . This year, I've finally gotten it right and lost weight.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i was stupidly eating like 600net cals a day last week and lost nothing! I wasnt eating my exercise cals and thats what happened to me. Im trying to be at least 1200 for the time being. Might up it to 1300 in 2 weeks time and see how it goes. My net is usually 1100-1200 a day and im 5"5 and 176lbs needing to lose 45/50lbs
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with this post is this: There is a very big difference between, say, a slightly pudgy 5' tall woman eating 1500 calories a day vs a heavier 5'10" woman eating 1500 calories a day. For the shorter, lighter girl, 1500 calories might be too much. For the taller woman who still has a lot of weight to lose, 1500 calories a day is probably not enough. These "one number fits all" declarations are kind of worthless.

There needs to be a LIKE button b/c I like, like, like this post! I love this site but diet/eating habits are not one size fits all! Just b/c someone wrote it on the internet does not make it true and does not make it right for everyone!! Been here a long time and stopped the message boards all together for over a year b/c of people telling me I am not doing it right b/c I don't eat back my exercise calories or I don't eat many carbs etc! What works for one does not work for all and I wish more people would be mindful of that!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What works for me may not work for you and vice versa, our bodies are not one size fits all and neither are our nutritional needs.

I feel at my best when I keep to 1300-1400 calories a day, regardless of how active or inactive I was. I tried eating back calories and just felt bloated and overstuffed. So I've gone back to what had me lose 55 pounds in 6 months. For me, it's all about maintaining a certain number of calories.

If I go under? My body lets me know because I get light headed, I start to see spots, and I get a headache. I have problems with blood sugar levels so the up and down of the calories just doesn't work for me.

Sooooo, glad to see other people who understand this!! What works for one does NOT work for all! Everybody needs to spend less time on here talking about what they read and what worked for so and so and find out what actually works for them! I personally gained weight when I ate back my exercise calories and it just led me to so much frustration. I aim for 1400-1500 a day regardless of my exercise and that is what works for me! Wish I could eat back all those calories but it just does not work for me!
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bottom line? Different things work for different people. No need for a big debate. The facts are out there for anyone to find and quote. You can find information on the internet to back almost anything.
    Find what works for you and stick to it. That will probably change a few times as you lose, plateau, etc. so switch it up as needed.
    I think sharing information is never a bad thing, each person can take it and do what they want with it. Use it or don't. The only person you're accountable to is yourself
  • cinderella29292
    cinderella29292 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Sooooo, glad to see other people who understand this!! What works for one does NOT work for all! Everybody needs to spend less time on here talking about what they read and what worked for so and so and find out what actually works for them! I personally gained weight when I ate back my exercise calories and it just led me to so much frustration. I aim for 1400-1500 a day regardless of my exercise and that is what works for me! Wish I could eat back all those calories but it just does not work for me!
    i agree ­wit u that people shouldnt follo­w others advice mindlessly but still its useful to c ho­w things work 4 others as u can give it a try in case wat ur doing is not working.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When you say 1200 calories is this before the added calories you get from exercising? I'm currently on 1280 per day but if I exercise I get around 350-500 more depending on the workout and I will definately eat those too. But, if I haven't worked out then I think that the 1280 will be fine. Or should I say, I"m trying to get used to 1280.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    so true,
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    Interesting. My endocrinologist told me I wouldn't lose until I got down to 1200-1300 calories because of my IR. I think that formula for normal people will work. It just doesn't for me. As proven by the fact from October-May I lost 3 pounds. THREE. Despite using the BodyMedia arm band, tracking what I ate, working out with a trainer 2x's week and three days on my own and putting my body in a 500-1000 caloric deficit EVERY SINGLE DAY...my weight didn't start dropping until I took it to 1280-1300 cals. And now it's melting off of me.

What does IR stand for?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Bump . . .
    Sigh . . . still trying to figure out my best daily intake.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Bump . . .

Me too!! I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm thinking it's way more than 1200. For me, it's been really difficult to even get to the 1200 because of my high calorie burn workouts. But, I'm aiming for 1300 - 1400/day this week and we'll see what happens. Bad part is I work out late and there's no way I can eat back 1000 calories burned!
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Bump . . .

Me too!! I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm thinking it's way more than 1200. For me, it's been really difficult to even get to the 1200 because of my high calorie burn workouts. But, I'm aiming for 1300 - 1400/day this week and we'll see what happens. Bad part is I work out late and there's no way I can eat back 1000 calories burned!

You don't have to eat them back the same day, after burning them. You could estimate what your workout is going to be and eat them ahead of time, or add it to the next day's calorie allowance instead. Either way is not going to gum things up, though the first will be less accurate and the second harder to track (at least on this site). Might be worth trying...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    veganbaum & thomalu,

Here is a website that should help you figure out what your daily caloric needs are. Make sure you incorporate your workouts into the multiplier. This will also allow you to be proactive and eating your workout calories throughout the day. Below is an example of mine. I weigh 195, 12% body fat, 71 inches and male. My lifestyle is fairly sedentary (i work at a desk) but I workout 6 days a week for about 45-60 minutes. This puts me as moderately active. This means, I eat 3000 calories a day regardless if I workout or not. It's an easier approach for those who workout at night like myself. I have a 33% decrease to my overall body fat (was 18% not I am 12%). Weight loss is around 20 ish lbs but have only tracked when i was about 202 lbs. This is a very effective approach and keeps your metabolism is high. I eat 7 times a day or more, practically every hour.

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2308
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2644
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2981
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3317
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3654

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

And for those who actually want to understand the science of your Basal Metabolic Rate, here is a reference. I bet when most of your run the numbers you will be surprised on how you are not eating enough.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

BTW, for those who believe 1200 is a great number, look at all the threads that are written about people plateau'd. I bet you can't find one that says I eat 2000+ calories and can't lose weight. Everyone I have seen is a person who eats 1200-1500 calories and having issues losing weight. Simply put, if you want to look like an athlete, you have to eat and train like one.