Depression the day after a workout

Options
I've recently started a new fitness routine and I absolutely love it. I look forward to going to class - I miss it on days I don't. After the workout, I feel all the good things from exercise: I feel excited, happy, accomplished, energized, strong, etc. This feeling lasts for several hours. While I have always been rather active, this is the only time that I've had a fitness activity that has left me feeling this way. The other things I do either have no change or I just feel tired. The other activity I engage in I do for the love of the activity and not for the fitness benefits but they do have fitness elements to them. The new thing I entered into purely for the fitness benefit but have discovered that I love just for itself. It's only been a few weeks and I'm already noticing some positive changes.

I'm being vague about the activities on purpose because I don't think what they are really matter.

The problem is the day after the new workouts. I feel sad, and depressed. I long for the next training session. This is NOT a matter of just being tired/fatigued. It is completely emotional depression. I do not believe this is a nutrition problem nor a sleep problem. I've always been somewhat of a depressive-leaning person anyway, it just manifests more strongly on my rest days. It makes me want to skip rest days, which is obviously not a good idea because I do need to physically rest and I definitely do not want to overexert and injure myself and not be able to train at all.

Any advice?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    This is where it might be helpful to know what the activity is. ;) Since you prefer not to say, I'll try to be generic.

For sure, if you're new to exercise, you want to increase activity gradually. And you definitely need recovery from intense sorts of exercise.

But you might be able to cautiously introduce another activity on alternate days that challenges or stresses your body a bit, but in a very different way. For example, if you were running, perhaps you could swim; if you're strength training, perhaps you could bike; etc.

You don't want to get overtired, you don't want to stress the same body systems or muscle groups hard every single day . . . especially at first. But you might be able to cautiously mix it up a little. I'd still recommend at least one actual rest day weekly, which could be something very mild like a walk, stretching or gentle yoga.

I've been working out regularly for years now. In summer, I routinely do something pretty energetic 6 days a week, usually on-water rowing M-W-F-Sa, spin classes Tu-Th, and often some weight training a couple days a week, plus random bike rides & such. Sundays are rest days, maybe a walk, but not much more. Winter is less routine, but still two days spin, one or more days rowing machine, some weight training, the occasional brisk walk or swim. (BTW, I'm pretty old - 62 - so daily activity is not just for puppies. ;) ).

Best wishes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree, it depends what the activity is, to what would be suitable to do on rest days.
  • WildBlackRose
    WildBlackRose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's more info :)

I'm fairly active and regularly do 1-3 hours of movement activity per day, in addition to my job which is very physical. By movement activity, I do include gym exercise, but also stuff like hiking, dance, horseback riding, biking. I had been doing at least 1 group fitness class per day, 5-6 days per week (Typically a Les Mills format since that's what my gym offers). The classes would vary - sometimes Yoga (which I hate, it's so boring), BodyPump, etc. Outside of that, I would sometimes have dance practice, or a class, or ride my horse, or hike with my husband, or bike, etc. When I would finish the fitness class, I had no emotional change. I did not feel any of the benefits of exercise people talk about - I did not feel energized, or like I had accomplished anything, or even good. I just felt about the same level of meh as before the class. I wasn't getting results which made me start talking to my friends to see what they all enjoy. My best friend had been encouraging me for months to try my new activity since he also trains.

The new activity is martial arts. I'm now doing martial arts 3x per week, about 2 hours each time. I am doing less gym classes, but still have the other stuff I enjoy sprinkled in as normal (dance, horseback riding, hiking, etc). After a training session, I DO feel all of the good things people talk about. I feel alive, full of energy, and I want to keep going, etc. All of the things a gym class did not provide. On days I don't train, I miss it. I go home and watch videos in my downtime. I look forward to the next time in a way I've never experienced before. The day after a training, I feel depressed.

I am typically rather downtrodden. That is my normal.

This is NOT fatigue from overexertion. People with depression will get it - there's a difference between feeling crushing sorrow and your body struggling to function because you overexerted yourself. Yes I am getting body sore from the new training, but I am still able to function. I'm not falling asleep all the time or anything you think of when you think of excessive fatigue.

What is new is that when I was just hitting the gym, I did not have the emotional swings as frequently, and now I do. When I was just hitting the gym, I did not ever get the exercise high. It makes me want to keep training martial arts, but I also realize that would definitely put me into the overtraining/burnout risk, and also puts me at an increased risk of injury which would take me out of training altogether. It feels like I want to chase that high feeling I get after the class.

I'm mostly curious as to if anyone else has experienced something like this and has determined the cause. I'd like suggestions on active rest day activities bearing in mind that I am always somewhat active anyway.*

* (Please do not suggest yoga. Yoga is awful, and boring. I tried it for several months, including different types of yoga, and it's always awful. Not doing it anymore.)
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Go for a long walk. I look forward to my rest days bc I can catch up on podcasts and spend my alone time taking a 5 mile walk. I am able to learn something new and give my body the rest it needs.

Or maybe try to learn a new sport? I joined a non competitive volleyball league this winter where I don't burn many calories bc the team is awful but I have to jump, sprint, move my body enough to feel accomplished. I took tennis lessons this summer also but that was a crazy workout lol wouldn't be a rest day activity in my opinion.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm fairly active and regularly do 1-3 hours of movement activity per day, in addition to my job which is very physical. By movement activity, I do include gym exercise, but also stuff like hiking, dance, horseback riding, biking. I had been doing at least 1 group fitness class per day, 5-6 days per week (Typically a Les Mills format since that's what my gym offers). The classes would vary - sometimes Yoga (which I hate, it's so boring), BodyPump, etc. Outside of that, I would sometimes have dance practice, or a class, or ride my horse, or hike with my husband, or bike, etc. When I would finish the fitness class, I had no emotional change. I did not feel any of the benefits of exercise people talk about - I did not feel energized, or like I had accomplished anything, or even good. I just felt about the same level of meh as before the class. I wasn't getting results which made me start talking to my friends to see what they all enjoy. My best friend had been encouraging me for months to try my new activity since he also trains.

The new activity is martial arts. I'm now doing martial arts 3x per week, about 2 hours each time. I am doing less gym classes, but still have the other stuff I enjoy sprinkled in as normal (dance, horseback riding, hiking, etc). After a training session, I DO feel all of the good things people talk about. I feel alive, full of energy, and I want to keep going, etc. All of the things a gym class did not provide. On days I don't train, I miss it. I go home and watch videos in my downtime. I look forward to the next time in a way I've never experienced before. The day after a training, I feel depressed.

This is NOT fatigue from overexertion. People with depression will get it - there's a difference between feeling crushing sorrow and your body struggling to function because you overexerted yourself. Yes I am getting body sore from the new training, but I am still able to function. I'm not falling asleep all the time or anything you think of when you think of excessive fatigue.

What is new is that when I was just hitting the gym, I did not have the emotional swings as frequently, and now I do. When I was just hitting the gym, I did not ever get the exercise high. It makes me want to keep training martial arts, but I also realize that would definitely put me into the overtraining/burnout risk, and also puts me at an increased risk of injury which would take me out of training altogether. It feels like I want to chase that high feeling I get after the class.

I'm mostly curious as to if anyone else has experienced something like this and has determined the cause. I'd like suggestions on active rest day activities bearing in mind that I am always somewhat active anyway.*

* (Please do not suggest yoga. Yoga is awful, and boring. I tried it for several months, including different types of yoga, and it's always awful. Not doing it anymore.)

With your martial arts, do you have poses/stances you can practice on rest days so you still get the "boost" of feeling you're progressing in the activity you love? Pardon me if this question is silly, I don't know much about martial arts.

Some things that help me on rest days (where I sometimes feel blah) are reading about my activity (which is running) and planning future events/races.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I was going today yoga that mimics the moves of martial arts, but I won’t.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ^^^ What Janejellyroll suggested with the martial arts and/or perhaps get a few handweights (fairly inexpensive) and do some lifting for 10-15 minutes and/or brisk walk (as mentioned above by another)
  • flosoup24
    flosoup24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also practice a martial art. I don't know what one you do but I'm sure it has some sort of pattern and some line work so why not practice those on your down time.

I go 2x a week but in between I do stretching and tuls.
  • Carrie210
    Carrie210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    heres my 2 cents as someone with depression. Depression is a beast. and it doesn't like being told no or left to the side. your new martial arts workout is killing the depressive feelings pushing them out and making room for emotional healing. Do something that you truly enjoy on rest day. Do something that makes you feel accomplished. Do something your depression will hate, no matter what it is.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have had to go back and reread this a couple of times. While my first post still stands that your 'off' days continue to do do productive things that make you feel good but also think of it as as 'on' days to train mentally. Do activities that relax you, maybe learn a new skill, hobby, things to keep your mind engaged.

I don't know a lot about martial arts but I can image its very taxing on your body. Sounds like you want to find some balance between rest/recovery and off day activities.

What you have experienced with your training is the same as the runner's high. I have and can experience this my self. I have read research on this and its not just about endorphins release but we also release another chemical called endocannabinoids. Your long bouts of intense exercise is doing this and I believe that you are searching for this same feeling on your off days, perhaps wanting to do things that can mimic this same feeling, causing you be down and longing for the next workout. Just know that this can lead to addictive behaviors, we will overreach before we overtrain, learn the signs and symptoms so you can back off exercise before you head down the overtraining zone.

You are mindful of this so I think you will do well with finding the right balance and keeping exercising at healthy amounts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Ah, now I get it, I think - something more akin to love/joy. Rowing does that for me (on water . . . machine is just a thing I do in off-season to stay in shape for the real thing ;) ).

As someone who studied MA for quite a while (around 8 years of Chinese MA; my late husband was a teacher), I can see how that could be exhilarating. Maybe easy speed bag work, or other low-intensity tech drills? If you hate yoga, you'd probably hate Tai Chi, and it's hard/impossible to find martially-oriented TC teachers in most places anyway, plus the body mechanics may be more opposite than complementary to your other MA.

Having not had clinical depression, I have no advice, only hugs.

For my mildly moody but not depressed self, doing active things on off days that advance my loved thing (swimming, strength training), and finding exhilarating or otherwise happiness-fostering non-active hobbies (jewelry-making, visual journaling, learning to play bluegrass banjo) are what keep me on a more even keel, but I know depression is an entirely different creature.

Hoping you can find something that helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find something you tolerate on rest days.

Honestly I really want to try kickboxing but can't really afford it right now. I just pass the time watching tv shows on the treadmill (I mean, I'd probably watch tv anyway, at least I feel better burning calories while I do it). When it's nice out, a nice walk is always great too.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Just a guess, but could it be possible that this depression is caused by some kind of hormonal change?
    It may be possible that what ever activity you added is stressing your body in a new way, and during your recovery it is effecting your hormonal balance? Maybe talk about this change with your doctor?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posts. Rest days are not truly "rest completely". I swim or do an intensive HIIT workout on my rest days as those are for cardio. The only rest Im taking on my "rest day" is a rest from strength training, I still exercise every day in some capacity as I find that it definitely improves my mood and outlook on life to be active everyday.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are noticing the dopamine rush from what you are doing for work-outs, and noticing the lack thereof on your rest days. The dopamine response derives in part from the physical activity in general, and may also derive from the psychological perception of bad-assery (wow that didn't *kitten* lol) from kickboxing. The "lack" might hit you harder than many folks if you are living with mild to moderate depression. It might be worth consulting with a professional about some additional strategies to lift the "bottom floor," so to speak.