Weight training

Options
Does anyone know where I can find some good weight lifting exercises using dumbbells? I really need to start building muscle and don't know where to start. I am 63 years old if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to maintain your weight? What are your weight goals?

This link has some beginner dumbbell routines in it that may interest you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • catnippers
    catnippers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No I need to lose a lot of weight. I just need something not too strenuous, not a lot of heavy weight. Bad knees and piriformis muscle pain off and on. Thought maybe this would help.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Try DDP Yoga. It's a great way to start building up your knees and back.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Fitnessblender.com? They have some strength training videos which use body weight and dumbbells.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    catnippers wrote: »
    No I need to lose a lot of weight. I just need something not too strenuous, not a lot of heavy weight. Bad knees and piriformis muscle pain off and on. Thought maybe this would help.

I bet losing some weight will help you immensely with bad knees and pain. Stick with your calorie deficit and look for things that use lighter weights and modify your exercise around injury, low impact and no overload of the muscles/joints that cause you pain. Strengthening the areas that support the knees and weaker areas, etc.
  • catnippers
    catnippers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. It sucks getting old, but I want to change that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice beginners routine you can do at home.
    You may find it hard to keep up with and do all of it in one go to begin with. Don't worry, just watch it and make notes of all the moves then do it at your pace.

Start with the lightest weight possible, or no weight at all.

Make it your goal to be able to do it along with the video, and don't worry how long it takes you to get there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Glad you are making changes now, at 54 I was just starting and unfit, at 64 I am in pretty good shape, and feel much younger.

Cheers, h.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Try https://www.amazon.ca/Strength-Training-Exercises-Women-Pagano/dp/1465415807. It's great for beginners and most of her dumbbell exercises range from 3 to 12lbs. (I find I need more now, so I'm lifting heavier than that, but for getting the basics down it's excellent.) Some exercises do call for additional equipment, but she's got a bunch of different options for each major muscle/muscle group. So, if you haven't got a cardio step, choose an exercise that doesn't require it, for example.