When calories on label and bar code differ

Hi guys, I'm quite new to this and I have a dilemma. I have a packet of sainsbury's crab fishcakes. The info label says they're 305cal each... But when I scanned the bar code into MFP it came up as 224cal - quite a a difference! So which one would you trust??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi guys, I'm quite new to this and I have a dilemma. I have a packet of sainsbury's crab fishcakes. The info label says they're 305cal each... But when I scanned the bar code into MFP it came up as 224cal - quite a a difference! So which one would you trust??

The label....
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Trust the label... the MFP database is crowd-sourced and often can have incorrect information (even with a barcode match).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The label on the product is what I would go with. The MFP database entries are entered by your fellow users. They could be outdated, based on a different product, or just plain wrong.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I would weigh the item and compare to the label. The scan could be pulling information based on a specific weight/serving size (i.e. per 100 gram)
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    I would always weigh such items and go by weight as written in lable. Each piece can have quite different weight, specially for item that are hand made.
  • rjdubock0609
    rjdubock0609 Posts: 19 Member
    Marilyn you're right! It turns out it's 224cal per 100g, and a fishcake is actually about 150g... So actually 336 after all that! Thanks for your help everyone.