Pregnant and MFP!

Options
Anyone else here using MFP for weight loss/gains and pregnant? Looking for some friends who can relate to my misery! I’m 27, have two awesome kids and am currently pregnant with number three! Still early though!

Replies

• Brave_Bitch
    Brave_Bitch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm 6 weeks pregnant.. Trying to lose fat while pregnant. I gained so much weight before falling pregnant and was literally just taking my weightloss seriously and losing a little weight when I fell pregnant. I don't wanna stop cos I fear I'll be obese at the end of this pregnancy if I don't continue eating well and remaining active..
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used MFP during the last part of my pregnancy to help control my blood sugar. Make sure you have clearance from your prenatal care provider before you continue with weight loss. Congrats to you both on your pregnancies:-)
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm 6 weeks pregnant.. Trying to lose fat while pregnant. I gained so much weight before falling pregnant and was literally just taking my weightloss seriously and losing a little weight when I fell pregnant. I don't wanna stop cos I fear I'll be obese at the end of this pregnancy if I don't continue eating well and remaining active..

I’m 5 weeks and trying to lose weight too :) and was really serious about my weightloss, but i still am! Losing weight during pregnancy is fine if you’re over weight and have check with your doctor. My doc knows I’m strength training (lifting heavy heavy weight etc) and is fine :) just make sure the calories you eat are good ones!

• SelenaMariaStewart
    Options
    I used MFP during the last part of my pregnancy to help control my blood sugar. Make sure you have clearance from your prenatal care provider before you continue with weight loss. Congrats to you both on your pregnancies:-)

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This makes my brain hurt to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit to grow a baby inside you you need to eat something like 500 calories extra a day than what you need I'm not judging I'm genuinely interested in how it works?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Congratulations btw
  • elisibethp
    elisibethp Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    This makes my brain hurt to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit to grow a baby inside you you need to eat something like 500 calories extra a day than what you need I'm not judging I'm genuinely interested in how it works?

I am also newly pregnant (6 weeks) and would like to lose some weight that I've gained over the last year, but I'm not stressing about it. My understanding is you only need about 300 extra calories per day while pregnant. I adjusted my goals (was set to around 0.5lb lost per week) so that it went up by 300 calories, so I'll just aim for that daily. It's really not much different than staying within your caloric goal - you are just eating a little more. The difference is that it can be challenging to A) eat enough when you are dealing with nausea, B ) avoid giving in to all cravings, and C) exercising whilst dealing with all of the pregnancy symptoms!
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yup 19 weeks pregnant here.

I have used mfp for years got to my goal weight so stopped using it and I've gained about 5lbs more than I should've so far for my pregnancy so I'm back to just keep track of where those calories are coming from.

I figured it out but I'll be sticking around not to lose what I gained but to slow my weight gain down to a normal speed. I eat at maintenance plus 150 right now in my 2nd trimester. Depending on where my weight gain is once I hit my 3rd trimester I'll up it another 75-150 calories.

• erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Also to lose losing weight

First check with your doctor.
    Second its only okay if you're over weight but this doesn't necessarily mean eat at a deficit you need nutrient rich food and moderate exercise your first trimester should be set to maintain your weight. You naturally burn calories while growing a baby. In your second trimester you should only add 150 tops to your calories unless underweight then you need more. In your third trimester you should be eating 250-300 calories more than maintenance for your growing baby.

Seems like a lot but its really just a fruit and veggie smoothie extra a day. Find something that's rich in nutrients and easy to digest.

• SelenaMariaStewart
    Options
    Yeah, everyone else has pretty much answered it perfectly. I’m overweight, so the calories I need to eat for healthy baby is still lower than the calories I used to consume and need to consume now to lose weight, if that makes sense. I’m a good 40 lbs overweight so I got lots of wiggle room :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Extra calories aren't needed until later months. Since she's in the first trimester and her doctor has okayed weight loss, she should be fine provided her deficit isn't too large.
  • brendaagu
    brendaagu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Has anyone kept using mfp and it help keep from gaining too much?