high heart rate

Options
KQmom
KQmom Posts: 29 Member
So I have been working out regularly for a couple months now and my heart rate still gets up to 195 when I am doing cardio. I want to be in the "fat burning zone" which is about 130 for me, but it seems like I'm at 130 as soon as I get started. When I don't push myself too hard I can stay around 165-170, but that's the high end of the "cardio zone" My doctor took my pulse and bp and said no worries, but I want to burn fat as quickly as possible and I can never stay in that "fat burning zone" Has anyone experienced this, or know anything about it?

Replies

• KQmom
    Options
    BUMP!! ANYONE???
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have problems with my heart rate... even at rest. It gets much worse when I exercise or get nervous. I have a leaky heart valve and possibly pulminary hypertension. My cardiologist said it was fine for me to excercise, but to start out very slowly... and to try to relax. Ofcourse if I "knew how to relax" I wouldn't be so stressed!
    Sorry I don't have any answers... I'm just monitoring my heart rate very closely and trying to be patient.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your maximum heart rate is mostly genetically determined and not a matter of fitness or training. You can pretty much throw out the standard formulas. By the formula my max would be 162 (220-my age of 58). At 162 I'm not even breaking a sweat . My true max is around 190. It sounds like you have a high maximum and if so that may throw off all the so-called zones. If you don't know your true maximum you can exercise based on perceived effort. Don't worry too much about the various "zones" . You are still burning fat at the higher heart rates. Just don't want to get so high that you can't sustain it for a period of tine.
  • KQmom
    Options
    thanks ladies. I'm still a little concerned, especially after you mentioned pulmonary hypertension. I do have borderline blood pressure also... I'm thinking another visit to the doc just to be sure.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the "fat burning zone" thing is a myth. But yeah, I might call and ask about it being that high. Is it that high for the entire time? Mine gets up to 180s during HIITs but that's it.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Maybe your heart rate monitor is not calibrated right. How do you feel when your heart rate is at 195? At that rate, you should feel like your heart is going to rip out of your chest and you can having a hard time catching your breath. When I jog, I am usually in the 135-155 range. But if I push myself harder I will jump up to the 180’s. At that point, I know I am working too hard. My heart is beating too hard and I am working too hard to breath. If you are not feeling any of this at 195, then you heart rate monitor is not calibrated or faulty.
  • foremaar012
    Options
    You should always talk with you doctor, but I had a higher heart rate when I first started to exercise like 195 range the more I've regularly started to do it the lower it gets. After a few weeks I've noticed it being like 160-170 max. I've talked to my mother about it, who is a nurse, and she always said as long as I dont feel irregular, spastic, or like I'm going to pass out I should be fine.
  • KQmom
    Options
    Usually at least once during my workout, when I'm really pushing myself, I get up to 190-195. It's just crazy to me because my husband is working twice as hard the whole workout and he has a hard time getting over 140
  • KQmom
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback y'all