Berberine and pcos

Options
If you have PCOS and taken berberine have you seen improvements weight wise and any other areas?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What is the benefit of berberine? Never heard of it.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What is the benefit of berberine? Never heard of it.

Its suppose to be equivalent to metformin if not better. Helps with insulin resistance
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Berberine has drug interactions.

https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and haven't had to use metformin or any supplements to lose weight. Have you tried lower carb diet (meaning <150g a day)?
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I am considering it. I had to go off metformin because of digestive side effects. I lost about 40 pound while on metformin and have slowly gained it back. I'm waiting to talk to my dr and get his opinion on the Berberine but all the research I've done seems that the side effects aren't as unpleasant as metformin. That being said my dr may have a different pov! Have you tried metformin?
  • jennydelgado09
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I am considering it. I had to go off metformin because of digestive side effects. I lost about 40 pound while on metformin and have slowly gained it back. I'm waiting to talk to my dr and get his opinion on the Berberine but all the research I've done seems that the side effects aren't as unpleasant as metformin. That being said my dr may have a different pov! Have you tried metformin?

I haven't tried it.
    I was told I have PCOS like, oh by the way you have this. During an ultrasound for an iud. When I went back to my doctor he was very indifferent about it. I guess cause fertility is not something I've struggled with.
    I have tried low carbs. And I've lost a lot of weight on my own over the last 4 years. But now I'm just stuck. So I want to try the berberine and see if that helps any.
  • jennydelgado09
    edited February 2018
    Options
    And not just for the boost in weight loss(hopefully).

But from what I've read it can help regulate hormones, help with acne, and so on.
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you have an issue that your doctor just doesn't seem to care about. I also want to try Berberine for "quality of life" rather than just weight loss. I'm just a little concerned that it may work more on lowering blood sugar levels which could trigger hypoglycaemia, which I've had a problem with in the past. I hope someone else knows a little more or has used it.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IME, a lot of doctor's don't know how to treat PCOS. Their attitudes are rather lackadaisical. Also, a lot of doctors are skeptical of the efficacy of most people's weight loss results. There is a lot of ambivalence in the medical field, IMO.