Pain in knee when *NOT* running

I have patellar tendonitis in one knee. (Tenderness in the kneecap at the lower tendon attachment point.) I get some pain when walking (, going up and down stairs, and sometimes when just sitting or lying with my knee bent but completely relaxed (as in a theater-- sometimes called "movie theater knee"). I've had an x-ray, and my doc has cleared me for "some" running-- also recommending PT, ice, and stretching, all of which help somewhat.

But: Once I start jogging, the knee warms up and the pain usually goes away. I can jog for 45 minutes to an hour comfortably. Sweet!

It does seem somewhat worse the day after a jog (at least until I warm it up), so I keep thinking that I'm hurting it by jogging. But it doesn't seem to get any worse (or better) overall, and the pain is always tolerable. I've taken some running breaks to see if it gets better, but it just stays about the same. It doesn't hurt much during cycling; swimming seems to make it feel better. A good long walk seems fine. In general, it's not so bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

(Note: The irony is that the other knee was the one I actually injured a few years back. This is supposed to be the "good knee." Heh heh, life's a *kitten*.)

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    What I do, is after I run(if it's feeling twitchy) I'll ice it for 15-20 minutes(with a soft fabric wrap) and then use a soft thick/warm fabric wrap for 1-4 hours.

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    It sounds similar to what I went through with a tight IT band situation last year. Basically the tendon was pulling the kneecap slightly out of joint, which really hurt during running, going up stairs, walking, or sitting too long. I did leg lifts to strengthen the inside of my leg and make sure to stretch the heck out of the leg after a run and throughout the day. Some of the same strengthening exercises to fight tight IT band issues might help you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited February 2018
    The good knee is likely compensating for the injured knee to "balance" things out. This of course has effects on the good knee. It is very common for such effects to happen.
    It sounds like it gets tight when not in use. I have issues in various spots like this. Consider foam rolling, heat, ice, stretching etc. Different techniques help at different times. I find that frequent walks, starting early in the day, help a lot. There are also a variety of release techniques that help but I can't explain them in a post. Google "active isolated stretching". This technique is similar to the releases I do.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    I second the comment on the IT band. The good news is that there are great stretches and exercises you can do to help it. Oddly enough if you search for Yoga for Runners on YouTube you will find wonderful exercises that work the IT band. I can tell you that it worked wonders for me. Now I use yoga for cross training and I haven’t had an issue since.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2018
    Anyone else have this problem?

well, i don't run ever ever, but i do [did] cycle and lift. and glute med/hamstring tendinopathy behaves in exactly that way. it's passive-aggressive af. 'oh, you want to do this? *waits 12-24 hours before 'explaining' that it has a problem with that]. it did get more immediately-aggressive over time though, because i kept doing the same workouts for a few months while waiting for my referral to a sports doc to come through.

in case it helps, the main thing that seems to be beneficial for mine is just what the current literature says: eccentric loading of the muscles involved. i'm not sure what that would look like for prepatellar, but there has to be somebody out there who is. gl with it.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Yeah, that seems pretty common. I had the same injury in my right knee. Now the knee generally does just fine when I'm running, but if I go a couple days without running, it stiffens up. But this is about four years after the original injury.

I don't generally have pain in that knee now, but I did have the pain with stairs that you describe while it was healing. The PT exercises helped me, and foam rolling the quad/IT band on that leg also helps. If I'm having any hint of something not feeling right, I also ice the knee after running. When I was having actual pain, I did ice massage on the area around the patellar tendon. I've also taped the knee, though I'd recommend that only if you have someone who can teach you how to tape correctly for your injury.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    That sounds exactly like my knee problems. I don't over do it by running or cycling. It isn't worth it to me to mess it up worse.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    I had petellar tendonitis in my knees in high school. It is not the same as having an IT band issue. I took a healthy amount of NSAIDS, but I finally had to be sidelined. A cho pat strap also helped.

The real answer is to rest, and to address the muscle imbalance which is what 90% of joint issues are. My cause were weak hammies relative to my quads. my quads were pulling my bone into my tendon and irritating it. Stretch quads, strengthen hammy was my cure.

The real real answer is to go see a physical therapist.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I had petellar tendonitis in my knees in high school. It is not the same as having an IT band issue. I took a healthy amount of NSAIDS, but I finally had to be sidelined. A cho pat strap also helped.

The real answer is to rest, and to address the muscle imbalance which is what 90% of joint issues are. My cause were weak hammies relative to my quads. my quads were pulling my bone into my tendon and irritating it. Stretch quads, strengthen hammy was my cure.

The real real answer is to go see a physical therapist.

This is a really interesting comment. I don't do much for my hams, in fact.

I aspire to getting back to the PT, but I have a time issue.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    I had to give up running because of that. It sounds like Runner's Knee or Jumper's Knee. There are some cheap straps that Velcro underneath your knee that will help a lot with that. Look up Jumper's knee straps on Amazon - like $10. They will help a lot. It's your knee is "tracking" right. There are exercises, PT you can do. I dealt with it for nearly two years and did everything I could think of and finally had to give up running. It can become chronic so better to let it heal up completely than keep inflaming it.

The telltale thing you mentioned was the pain going down stairs. That's how you know it's Runner's knee/Jumper's knee.
  • AlmaEkene
    AlmaEkene Posts: 7 Member
    Yea,definitely sounds like Runner's knee which I'm currently battling with a well. I've had to lay off running and skipping and that's sad for me because those were my go to workouts. I haven't worked out in weeks and the pain is still there. I try massaging it with balm sometimes and I even take NSAIDS, sometimes I try to get in a little walk in the mornings but I miss running. Please does anyone know a definite cure for this?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I can only say that, even though I've run twice this week, including once on the treadmill with some sprints and 4.5mi yesterday on the road (amazingly, in shorts and a T-- not your average March day in New England), things seem to be better than usual. Feels pretty good today, so icing and stretching seem to really help!

Best of luck to everyone dealing with knee pain. It seems to be a common problem with running. (And maybe with just living with our frail human bodies.) Remember that there are many options for getting exercise. Today I'm going to the pool!