Starting my weight loss journey

In April I went to the doctor for the first time in more than a decade and of course I had to step on the dreaded scale. I was shocked and ashamed when the number on the scale started with a 5. The doctor recommended that I see a G.I. Nutrition doctor so we could discuss weight loss options. After meeting with the G.I. Nutrition doctor I decided to start the process in preparation for gastric bypass surgery. At my second appointment in the gastric bypass process I was told that my insurance would not cover weight loss surgery. While I was upset that I could not have the surgery I was surprised to find out that I had lost 10 lbs in the month since my first appointment by just making some small changes in my diet. Another month went by and I went back to the doctor and was down another 3 lbs. I was hoping to be down more than that but I was still happy to be moving in the right direction. Multiple people had recommended this app to me as a great WY to track what I've been eating, but I was skeptical and the idea of tracking everything I ate sounded like a hassle. Finally a week ago I downloaded the app and within minutes of playing with it I was hooked. The app helped my realize that while I was eating better I was still eating too much. In the last week I have totally revamped my diet and changed the way I think when I shop and prepare meals. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Awesome! I just started a few days ago too and am totally addicted. Its really made me think twice about getting a cheeky choccy bar or soft drink. It really is those little snacks that im struggling with on the diet but the app really helps me avoid them.
  • Ivanmontanez
    Ivanmontanez Posts: 10 Member
    You can also go to your doctor and ask for phentermine and topamax those are strong pills so you won't be to hungry it will help a lot
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    You can also go to your doctor and ask for phentermine and topamax those are strong pills so you won't be to hungry it will help a lot

Do you think they would prescribe them if your not too over weight? Im 78 kg 170cm
  • tdavis1994
    tdavis1994 Posts: 18 Member
    I am just now starting off myself. It has been a week today! It's the dreaded weigh in day for me. We will see what my progress is. It's been a struggle to change for me because there are reminders of what I can't have everywhere. Staying strong and remembering why you are making these changes, it helps me keep going when all I want to do is cave. A moment of pleasure is not worth a lifetime of being unhealthy and unhappy.

Good luck! You will do great!
  • SelfLove2point0
    SelfLove2point0 Posts: 46 Member
    quigs17832 wrote: »
    Before yesterday the last time I was on the scale was July 11th and I was at 490lbs. Jumped on the scale yesterday when I went to get blood drawn and was down to 484lbs. That makes 20lbs since the start of May. It's incredibly motivating to see that number keep dropping.

Awesome. That's all the motivation you need right now. You're doing a great job!

If you're looking for friends, feel free to add me (= always happy to cheer my fit fam on!

All the best for your journey ✊
  • humpbax
    humpbax Posts: 34 Member
    Glad it's happening for you! Keep that close on the weeks you feel disappointed. It helps. Who needs surgery? You can do it!! Get in the pool if you can, and start a routine. I love swimming and my knees don't hurt after a swim... unlike when I jog! Feel free to add me if you like...
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fnq2014
    fnq2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow we have something in common just been to the doctor's and have been referred to a dietitian which I have been to before with no success but now they are suggesting surgery but I would like to do it myself with the help of some friends on this app. I have always been over weight but put on a lot more after retirement. It would be great to encourage each other. I am currently 124kg.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    quigs17832 wrote: »
    Before yesterday the last time I was on the scale was July 11th and I was at 490lbs. Jumped on the scale yesterday when I went to get blood drawn and was down to 484lbs. That makes 20lbs since the start of May. It's incredibly motivating to see that number keep dropping.

I am so happy for you :smile: I'm so glad you're on here and working hard to change your life. A super HUGE congratulations to you for the weight loss so far...I am sure you'll smash it :smiley:
  • Joster91
    Joster91 Posts: 22 Member
    Wow great job!! I’d like to follow your progress so I added you.
  • KeThur_18
    KeThur_18 Posts: 59 Member
    Awesome I to am on the track to getting bypass surgery a lil nervous though feel free to add me as a friend we can be a motivation to each other. Great job keep going
  • quigs17832
    quigs17832 Posts: 24 Member
    Down another 11.2 lbs. since October 13th for a grand total of 64 lbs. since May!
  • Emerald_Warrior
    Emerald_Warrior Posts: 238 Member
    How wonderful
  • KevinC_09
    KevinC_09 Posts: 7 Member
    Keep it up! That’s awesome.
  • hyded66
    hyded66 Posts: 18 Member
    Add me as friend lets motivate each other.