Weight gain and aging

Options
2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Age has NOTHING to do w/losing weight.

Lots of "old" folks (a lot older than 29) on MFP who have lost and kept off a lot of weight for years.

In my case, I lost 40# at age 66 and have kept it off for over a year. Lots of better success stories than mine on MFP if you look for them.

There's no secret to weight loss. Diet control (CICO) is all you need to lose/maintain weight.

And exercise (combined w/diet control) is all that you need to increase strength/fitness, burn fat and increase muscle tone and definition beyond just losing weight.

It just takes time, discipline and dedication to get it done.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    i'm 31. and while I understand that we aren't that old. I def see a difference in how easily it used to come off versus how easily the weight comes off now. Or maybe I'm just losing my memory hahah jk

Seriously. I'm just a little younger than you, but I feel like I could literally eat anything and everything 4-5 years ago (and I did, with a 12 pack). :/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    brookesdsu wrote: »
    Aging at 29?? LOL I wish I was 29 again.

This almost 53 yr old say no *kitten*.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So if you eat 1000 calories a day for 6 days a week and then have 1 cheat meal (let's be real...it might end up as a cheat day) of 8000 calories...that's an average of 2000 calories per day.

I'm 38 and in the best shape of my life. I weigh most of my food most of the time...and lift heavy.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In my experience eating low carb messes up your ability to eat carbs. If you are eating ultra low carb all week and then your cheat meal is full of carbs you will gain A LOT of water weight really fast. It’s really weird, but I could gain back 20 lbs in a few weeks after low carb and then eating carbs again. I despise low carb diets because of this.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You are not eating 1000 calories per day and your "cheat" meal is putting you at maintenance. So...get in a deficit and do your thing. You're not "aging". I lost all my weight at 28/29.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    29 is not old!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    brookesdsu wrote: »
    Aging at 29?? LOL I wish I was 29 again.

I've been 29 for sooooooo many years now. :)
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 59, and have lost 53 lbs. Slowly, but surely. You are young and your age cannot be a factor. Nor is it possible surely to gain 10 lbs from one meal! If you are eating the right number of calories for your height and weighing food properly, you should lose weight. As you are only aiming for 7 lbs, I imagine you are already at a healthy weight, so this loss may be slow.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I read "Aging " I thought you 'll be in your late 60's lol...hardly aging. I'm 38 and when I stick to my deficit and workouts ( creating decent deficit and keeping me sane with extra calories ) I'll lose .

When I don't I won't,simple as that. Seeing how alot of older people than me on here lost crazy amount of weight and are fitter than me I'd like to think that anything is possible if you put some work in.

Don't make up reasons you can't lose instead make sure you track properly and weight wl come off no matter what .
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm 56 now and there is no doubt I'm not losing as fast as I did in my 30's and 40's (running around after small children) but when I look back honestly, it was not just the activity but an unhealthy approach to eating - I'd eat under 1000 cals a day, probably nearer 800 (I always eventually put the weight back on and then some). Now it's coming off slower (post menopause, hormone suppressing drugs in the mix too, plus I'm only 5ft 1") but I rarely eat fewer than 1200 calories and I'm far more sedentary. If I went back to my old restrictive/active ways, I'm pretty sure the weight loss would be just as fast. It's taken longer because I'm doing it right this time, and I'm healthier and down nearly 5.5 stone so far.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title I expected to see a 60++ person posting for help. I expected to post a "buck up little buckeroo" encouragement. Wow, so disappointed. I'm 63. You can lose weight and better your body at almost any age. I'm seeing excuses here. I also don't think it's the 1000cals you're eating. Be very precise-weight and log everything you eat and drink for 2 weeks and see what happens. Get a digital food scale if you don't have one. Read the"Sexypants" thread and other beginning stickies. Come back then, if you're still not losing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yeah 29 is sooo young. I have almost 20 yrs on you. Weight loss in my 40s was no harder than in my earlier years but this time I found what works for me and have kept the weight off.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, the so-called calorie "calculators" say we'll gradually burn fewer calories every year as we age. Very few. And much of the reason is that we move less in daily life (sit around more), and gradually lose muscle mass as a consequence. Both of those are factors that - absent genuine physical disability or disease - each of us can control.

The great likelihood is that you're logging inaccurately (no blame, it's a skill to be learned, not a character fault); or that you're "cheating" your way out of a calorie deficit (so log it all, then you'll know). There are two types of people who'd fail to lose on a consistent true 1000 daily calories: Very, very unusually super-petite people, or people with a serious disease. You know whether you're the former. If you think you might be the latter, consult your doctor.

If the problem is satiation on a given sensible calorie level, experiment with changing what or when you eat to improve that. There are bunches of threads with good information.

Reading posts and food diaries around here for several years, I've come to a conclusion, not 100% universal, but common. People who look for external or uncontrollable reasons they can't successfully lose weight tend to experience more unhappiness/drama/frustration, and have less success losing weight. People who seek to understand the mechanics of the process, then focus on what they personally control, tend to experience less emotional upheaval, and lose weight more successfully.

Focus on what you can control, and improve it.

As an aside, blaming weight loss failure on age, when 29, will tend to make quite a few much-older, formerly very fat, now healthier and much thinner peiple . . . chuckle.

Signed,

62-year-old formerly decades-long obese person who's been at a 50+ pounds lower healthy weight since 59-60. While hypothyroid.

Best wishes . . . you can achieve your goals.