Skechers shape ups question.....

Options
I recently got shape up running shoes it says burn more calories muscle activation yada yada yada. I figured it is just some bs to try to push sells on people.

I have been running with them twice so far and they are kicking my butt. They feel comfortable and I do like the shoes I seem to be pushing harder and my mile times are slower, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can feel im getting a good workout, Just wanted to know if this is normal for other people as well that have these shoes?

Replies

• Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    wow that is a good question i was wondering if they actualy worked of not to. i havnt gotten any yet.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't have the links handy but there have recently been issues with people having the tendons in the back of the leg being permanently shortened because of these shoes. I will not be buying them that's for sure. As a nursing student I've seen how your body is supposed to work.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I have a pair of shapeups...be careful going down stairs. I took a tumble..Not fun. I do still use them on a weekly basis. Not sure if they have any bearing on my weight loss or not. But for what I paid..I'm wearing them.
  • jillwaller
    Options
    I've heard they can actually be very damaging to your body. Be careful! Not all burns are good signs!
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    A coworker wore them all the time, and decided since they were so comfy, she'd try running in them. Now her knee is all jacked up, and will probably require surgery at some point.

My mom's doctor did recommend she try them for plantar fasciitis because they're so padded, but flat out told her they would not work for weight loss or "making her butt smaller". (Her doctor has a great sense of humor.)
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I purchased a pair of these shoes about three weeks ago and have been speed walking with them on the days I do not make it to the gym. I have gotten more toning results in my legs and butt with these shoes than I have doing months on the stair machine! My husband is amazed at the size difference in the lower half of my body and I can definately "FEEL" the difference in the work out I am getting. I tried running in them and did not like that at all, but I am not a runner per say. I have any research on the effects but I am very plewased with the results I am gertting and will continue to use them for my 2-3 times a week that I walk on my off days.

Hope this helps!
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    GET RID OF THOSE SHOES IMMEDIATELY!!!! When they first came out a handful of people I knew (my grandmother, family friends, ect.) purchased them thinking they'd be great! A year later ALL of them had horrible knee problems and back problems. After a few months of getting rid of the shoes, all of their pain is gone! Hope this helps :smile:
  • HazelGal
    HazelGal Posts: 12
    Options
    My bf and I have knock off shape ups. They are the walking ones thought. We wear them to work because we both work on cement floors all day and they do wonders for the feel. I've never had a pair of the running ones, but the walking ones weren't all that bad. Easier on my knees becasue you roll your feet when you walk instead of step ball heel. Similar to marching, we where both in band, and I can say that the walking one are easy on the old feet.
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Where I live they did a news report about them.

"He feels there is a chance for injury when doing activities other than walking, which is the intended use for the shoes. The rocker-bottom shoe is typically used for the elderly and for people with specific conditions like injuries or arthritis; to increase pressure in some areas and alleviate it in others."
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/food_coach&id=6924961

I heard that the reason why you feel a burn when walking in them is because they are putting stress on your foot/leg in order to keep your balance. Something like that.

M.
  • 52baltimoreravens52
    52baltimoreravens52 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got the Shape Ups walking shoes to wear while I teach and my plantar faceitis (SP?) has disappeared!
    Also, I thought I could never wear flip-flops again due to this condition but the Shape Up flops have been so
    comfortable all summer.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the study- but basically it said this- the benefit one gets from the unbalance of the shoes is limited as we quickly adjust to the difference in the sole- if you were to wear a shoe with a different time of sole (curvature, angle whatever) everyday then you would not get used to the sole as quickly and gain more benefit- some people have had some success with these shoes most likely because they are out there exercising more because they go more shoes- if you find these shoes comfortable for you then they are good shoes for you, if you don't then they aren't good shoes for you

so personal choice really

My physiotherapist demanded that I stop wearing my fit flops that was more due to there not being a strap in back - I need more support due to a bad ankle