Building strength in upper body at home

Options
Are there any apps that concentrate on this, that are free? I have 3kg dumb bells.
I've started doing body pump but my arms and shoulders are weak. Any advice?

Replies

• theredfernie
    theredfernie Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Fitness Blender has amazing videos online on youtube for free. They have a video for every area of the body or workout style you prefer.

I recommend focusing on your shoulders and upper back to protect it....that will give you the toned shoulders that we all want. find a workout that targets all of the muscles in your arms.....even the little ones with crazy names like the Latissimis Dorsi (thats the one mid outer upper arm that shows when you extend your arms)

I know you said you were looking for a home workout, but I did Curves for years and I got compliments on my arms all the time. ( I haven't been a member out of sheer laziness for the last few years, but its the most comprehensive workout ever!) I need to get back to it. :p
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Check out nerd fitness or you are your own gym. The 3kg dumbells wont do much, if you find them heavy now, you will find in a couple weeks it is no longer enough resistance.
  • Mandy72M
    Mandy72M Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Check out nerd fitness or you are your own gym. The 3kg dumbells wont do much, if you find them heavy now, you will find in a couple weeks it is no longer enough resistance.

Thanks but I need to start somewhere with the dumbbells.
  • Lycansbane
    Lycansbane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eric, check out nerdfitness. You might have to get into their forums (it's free) to find workouts. I will say i liked NF before a lot of their paid stuff, but i do enjoy their yoga and the academy is nice w/ workout examples and individual videos. The do have good workouts for free though. Also, if you're looking for arm/upper body strength, theredfernie is right, shoulders and upperback exercises tend to work wonders for your arms too. Things like planks either on your hands or elbows will work your upper body and core. DDP Yoga at home is also good for it. I really enjoyed DDP Yoga. Used to have it but i have lost/misplaced it and can't afford a new copy at the moment.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Upper body is easy to workout at home with simple calisthenics. @erickirb mentioned You Are Your Own Gym. That's a great program and there is an app. Realistically, you can workout just about every muscle in your upper body doing simply pullups, pushups, dips and and some band work for the smaller rotator cuff muscles. Just start with progressions and work your way up to doing the full movement.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Upper body is easy to workout at home with simple calisthenics. @erickirb mentioned You Are Your Own Gym. That's a great program and there is an app. Realistically, you can workout just about every muscle in your upper body doing simply pullups, pushups, dips and and some band work for the smaller rotator cuff muscles. Just start with progressions and work your way up to doing the full movement.

Indeed!
    Start with planks(static hold at "front leaning rest" and down position of pushup)

Progress to single pushups, then progress to variations and sets/reps
    speed-Fast/slow
    Disadvantage/load-Elevate feet one arm/one leg
    Shoulder touches(from plank)

If you can't do a pushup, practice static holds, do arms elevated(chair/step) or knee pushups(body in motion should still be rigid plank)