Breakfast Options

Options
So I make a fruit smoothie every morning before work, after logging all my food for 2 weeks now Ive realized that Ive usually reached my sugar for the day (58g) before noon time. Is having a fruit smoothie everyday not as healthy as I originally thought? What are some other healthy options that you guys eat for breakfast?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't track sugar, so I have no idea how much I'm getting. But I don't use fruit smoothies for breakfast anyway (but sometimes as part of lunch), I have one piece of fruit, and some raw veg, and porridge or sandwich.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    "healthy" is subjective term. If it works/fits with your goals, it's fine. If it doesn't, then it isn't. But ultimately, there is nothing inherently bad about fruit or sugar.

For me personally, it's not "healthy" because having meals that don't include meaningful protein make it harder, for me, to hit my protein goal. Add a scoop (or 2) of protein powder, and now it works. But that's me. You do you.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't do well on high sugar items so for me it wouldn't work but if you aren't having any issues I wouldn't stress about it. I used to eat lean cuisine every day for lunch but now that I'm on maintenance I find it doesn't have enough protein and I'm snacking all afternoon so I have switched that too. I need more protein like others have mentioned but if it's working for you I would just keep going until it doesn't work anymore.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. You're already tracking carbs. Unless it's medically necessary, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • faythe621
    faythe621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a low-carb yogurt instead of a smoothie if you're looking for a creamy fruit taste with less sugar? As long as you're hitting your macros you should be fine, but for me personally I wouldn't want to consume that much sugar all at once.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I apologize. I didn't answer your question.

Eggs
    Bacon
    Oatmeal
    Toast
    Sandwich
    Dinner leftovers
    Etc and so on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't limit sugar, but I don't find it especially satisfying or filling in the AM so I generally avoid it for breakfast. There's nothing inherently healthy or unhealthy about a smoothie though, you have to look at it in the context of your overall diet and your preferences.

I usually have leftovers from a previous night's dinner for breakfast. It's easy, already prepared, and savory (which I prefer). If I don't have leftovers, I'll have a frozen breakfast burrito (Amy's and Sweet Earth make my favorites), avocado toast, or just some cold brew coffee with protein powder.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at what you're putting in your smoothie. I have one everyday with 150g frozen fruit, 12oz almond milk, and 15g of protein powder. Depending on what kind of fruit I use, it's around 30g of carbs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't have a medical reason to limit sugar. I don't track it.
    If I am sticking to my calorie goal and getting enough protein and fats then the carbs pretty well take care of themselves.
    I prelog ,y day every morning to help me meet my goals better.

Breakfast for me is stuff like yogurt, cottage cheese, granola bar, fruit, sandwich, cereal with milk, dinner leftovers.

If you like your fruit smoothie it is not bad to have one. If you want to lower sugar you will have to have less the rest of the day or use lower sugar fruits or vegetables in your smoothie. Or have a smaller smoothie.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/best-low-sugar-fruits
    https://greenblender.com/smoothies/6156/low-sugar-smoothies
    https://www.prevention.com/food/low-sugar-smoothie-recipes
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make both of these when I meal prep & they reheat well during the week. The muffins I usually eat 2-3 of them & pair with avocado. My husband doesn't like the spinach in the muffins so I sub 1/2 a piece of bacon or diced ham in his.

https://kalynskitchen.com/broccoli-ham-mozzarella-egg-bake/

https://www.tasty.co/recipe/egg-white-breakfast-cups

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Fruit (typically) has a lot of sugar, so if you eat several servings of fruit--and especially if you pick higher sugar fruits like bananas--yes, you will hit your sugar goal.

You may decide your sugar goal doesn't matter, of course. I rarely hit mine, but I wouldn't care if I did if the sugar was mostly from vegetables, fruit, and dairy (i.e., not from treats with added sugar).

You may find that you prefer to eat most of the fruit you consume in the morning. I like a more diverse breakfast, so even though I tend to have half an avocado and 2-3 other servings of fruit most days (I don't always, but I try to), I generally would not have all of it at breakfast. I can see someone else doing so, though.

I like smoothies (and other things too, but I've been on a smoothie kick all year so far), but I tend to find just fruit in drinkable form not a very filling smoothie, so I make mine so that they include fat and protein and more veg than fruit (often the only fruit I add is the half avocado and some berries). But of course fruit is healthy -- I just think ideally all my meals should be built around vegetables and protein. I also like 400 cal breakfasts, though.

If your smoothies are filling and working for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, there are tons of alternatives.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, if not having a smoothie, I often have had a vegetable omelet or oats (usually savory, sometimes with soy milk and berries) or dinner leftovers for breakfast.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I boil eggs on the weekend and have them in the fridge. Many mornings I schnarff one down and I feel satisfied for quite a while.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and keeps you full, there's nothing wrong with a smoothie. I don't drink them because they don't keep me full for the calories, but unless you're diabetic or have blood sugar issues, there's nothing wrong with them.

If you want some variety, just experiment with whatever you want... I often have leftovers for breakfast if I'm hungry and in the mood for them.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This morning I has a gluten free English muffin sandwich, with 1 microwaved egg, 1 Swiss cheese slice, 2 slices of turkey bacon, lettuce and a few cut up grape tomatos. It was delicious! :smile:
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Me, I'm a typical breakfast food breakfast kinda person. I love me my eggs, so I usually have one every morning along with some melon (I switch up what kind) and a bit of strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit or another kind of melon. As far as smoothies being good for you... it's not a milkshake, so it ain't all bad! lol There are different schools of thought on the healthiness of smoothies, but if they do the job, keep you filled until your next meal? Go with it! Whatever works. ;-)
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I make this baked oatmeal once a week and it lasts me and my husband for five breakfasts: https://www.kimscravings.com/blueberry-cheesecake-baked-oatmeal

But we've beefed up the protein by adding extra eggs and replacing the cottage cheese with 1.5 cups greek yoghurt.

It does not taste anything like cheesecake, despite the claim on the recipe, but it is good, and definitely helps me stay full. Plus I only have to make breakfast once a week.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Huevos rancheros with 50 cal low carb wrap, some vegetarian retried beans and 1 egg, salsa. Skip the cheese.
  • stacithomas22
    stacithomas22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, I make an "egg white scramble" dish for my breakfasts for the rest of the week. Basically, I take a carton of egg whites, frozen chopped peppers and onions, a few pieces of bacon (crumbled), and salt & pepper. Throw it together and bake until the egg whites are cooked (about 25-30 min on 350). once cooled, cut into servings (usually 8 for my pan size) and freeze individually. Boom, breakfast for 8 days!