For the ladies...TOM question...

Options
So I was just wondering if anyone else has issues going to the gym while you have that TOM. I just feel uncomfortable and feel like gravity is going to just let lose. Does anyone else have this problem? And if you don't how do you get through a workout without feeling like your leaking all over? Sorry for the bluntness. I miss the gym but can't get myself to go while I have that TOM and than I feel like it sets my workouts back!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I usually feel better ( I get bad cramps and work outs seem to help ) but also get annoyed becasue my tampon string always seems to some how hook onto pants or get wedged in a weird way and then I worry it will come flying out! haha.

but yeah, heavy flow = gym NO GO
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    On days like that, I usually just work out at home...
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I'm lucky, i'm not too heavy for TOM most the time though do suffer from cramps. I still on a pad and go running for half hour round the village
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    If it's really heavy I do a tampon/pad combo.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have read a couple of women's running books and a few things they recommend.

1. No matter how bad you feel, try to do a workout. You are likely to feel better.
    2. Take tylenol before your workout. It will slow the 'leaking' down.
    3. I always double up with a pad as an extra precaution.
    4. Wear your most comfortable workout close. That helps me.
    5. When training for long races sometimes I get sick to my stomach early on. I always keep a bottle of imodium AD around and have some before going out for my run. It cuts down on pit stops.

Good Luck.
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    FOR ME THAT IS WHEN I TEST MY MENTAL STRENGTH......ITS IN OUR NATURE TO FIND OBSTACLES BUT FOR ME ITS ANOTHER THING THAT I HAVE TO OVER LOOK. I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, ITS GONNA COME, CAN'T CHANGE IT AND I WONT ALLOW IT TO STOP ME FROM WHAT I HAVE TO DO. PREPARE, ALTER THE WORKOUT IF NEED BE, BUT JUST DO IT! YOU WILL BE MORE PROUD OF YOUR SELF IF YOU DO.......JUST SAYING....
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I go because working out helps with cramps for me.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Before my ablation I couldn't exercise away from home during TOM. Any effort like you use in exercising would cause Aunt Flo to kick into high gear and I wouldn't make it through even 20 minutes. Since the surgery, I can workout during TOM and hopefully it will get less and less and easier and easier. For me I took the 2-3 days off that Aunt Flo was at her worse and put in extra workouts once I was able. Sucks, but it is what it is!!
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I feel less inspired to push hard.. before i would take it as an exucse to sit on my bum now i go for a long walk and mentally it helps. Mine are a bit of a widlcard so never know if they are light or not until after i'm finished!!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I usually still go, provided I'm not cramping at the time. I can barely stand up sometimes with cramps. Midol is a lifesaver but not if I want to work out because it makes me sleepy.

Like others said, tampon + pad combo seems to give me the confidence to forget about it and focus on the workout. I do think working out helps me feel less bloated and such.
  • alynnbennett
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all the info!!!!! I have decided I'm just going to go for it! Even if it's a run around my neighbor hood I know once I'm done I will feel better!!!!!!! I JUST NEED TO PUSH MYSELF AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    TOM IS NO EXCUSE! It comes every month, around same time for yearssssss! Pop some drugs in, eat some fruit, and get out there! I'll tell you one thing, I do not jog during TOM, my tummy is soo fluffy and it hurts when I jog, so I walk for 45 minutes, You can do it girl!=D Wooohooo!

:flowerforyou:
  • francena84
    Options
    I NEVER go to the gym during this time, too uncomfortable, I take this time to relax and eat chocolate haha.. I took 3 days off last week cause of cramps and stuff, taking a few days wont hurt youm it only comes once a month,
  • cwagner30
    Options
    Ibuprofen 800mg (4 tablets) every 8 hours at the beginning of your cycle and continue until your heavy flow day is over as long as there is no contraindication to using Ibuprofen.

I don't know how you feel about hormonal contraception but this could also be a good choice. It helps to keep the uterine linning thin thus less to shed and less flow.
  • jessiebombshell
    Options
    I also get really uncomfortable, with both cramps and worries about leakage! I usually just try to make myself go, walk for at least 20 minutes on the treadmill, and stretch. If I promise myself to at least do that much I usually end up pushing myself a bit when I get there. And if I don't, I still got moving more than I would have otherwise.

And I have my special TOM black sweat pants, wear a looser shirt, and scowl at everyone the whole time. I swear it helps.