Do you prefer cardio or strength training and why?

Options
Alright MFP, I want to know who prefers cardio and who prefers strength training and why. I would also like to know what type of cardio/strength training you are doing. Cardio: steady state, HIIT, etc. running, biking, swimming, or something really cool that I don't even know about? Strength training: Body Building, power lifting, Olympic lifting, etc. I am sure there are many MFP'ers who enjoy both modes of training, if so feel free to talk about why you like both and what sorts of activities you enjoy doing.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When in my groove I like to run and my gym is on the way so I can walk out my front door and do both. I have gotten hurt lifting so I just do an easy Nautilus set for fitness. I have really grown to love running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like both, but the gym is a big time suck so I usually only lift 2x per week...if I happen to get in 3x per week it's gravy, but that usually means I have to give up a road ride. My program is flexible as my trainer gave me a template that lists different types of movements that can be accomplished with a variety of different lift variations. I also don't live in any one rep range. My programming is centered around all around fitness rather than any specific strength or aesthetic goals.

Cardio is mostly cycling and I like participating in a few endurance cycling events every year. I recently purchased an indoor rower for my house to break up the monotony of being on my indoor bike trainer in the winter and on super windy spring days. I'm also hoping that it will provide some benefit for my back issues I have due to sitting at a desk hunched over a computer all day. I also do a bit of top rope and enjoy hiking in the mountains.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I do low intensity cardio, with 2 5 minute sprints a week on a bike, with low intensity yoga, but I am a strength guy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No preference. They are both valuable tools to achieve health and fitness goals. Enjoy them both.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like lifting the most.. mostly hypertrophy (bodybuilding), some strength work. Why, because of how it makes me look and feel. Cardio is ok (plyos, kickboxing, interval training), I also enjoy yoga
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I have become a cardio junky. Lately, it's been spinning. I get such a massive high from it!
    Yoga, Zumba, swimming are my other faves and I occasionally lift because I feel like I should but it's not something that I'm super into,.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Both for me. Strength and bodybuilding, being older I aim to maintain muscle and losing less of it during the aging process and also for aesthetics. I body build many months of the year and recomp the others or with a little cutting of fat.

Cardio is steady state, long distance running. I also cross train with elliptical and stationary bike. My running becomes a main focus (I have several events I participate in) end of winter/spring and my lifting is more to support my running, maintain muscle. I am usually cutting some in the summer and do both to support that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Personally I don't let preference play a role in my decision to do a given type of exercise. I wish to achieve a goal so I implement the techniques that will help me achieve that goal. If I want to build strength I choose weightlifting, if I want to build endurance I choose cardio. Personal preference enters at the point of deciding the type of cardio or the type of weightlifting I do.

I guess what I am saying is what I like is related to my goals and my goals aren't to exercise, exercise is just what enables my goals to be achieved. They are a means to an end, not the purpose.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week with one accessory work. I walk a lot 6-10 miles a day to and from the subway to work, kids school, the gym etc. but for fun not meaningful exercise as I love walking. I run in the summer too and ride my bike. I prefer cardio, but get the results I want with strength training.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I do PHUL 4x/week and I walk 15k steps every day (so steady state cardio)
    I don't prefer one over the other but they are both valuable and necessary for my goals (looking good naked)
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lift 3X a week and do cardio 3X as well. I love cardio more, probably because I've been doing it for longer. It took me a while to learn to like lifting, but I really enjoy it as well.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I lift because I think I should. I run because I'm enjoying it.
  • takemetosingapore19
    Options
    Tbh I hate questions like this. The obvious answer is to love BOTH. I do as much weights as I do cardio, except for my rest days.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I enjoy lifting weights and tolerate (barely) interval training at the end of my workout as well as a 10-15 minute warm-up dreadmill stint. I am following the Strong (Schuler & Cosgrove) program (full body workouts) and go 2-3 times a week. When I am just re-starting the program after a layoff, I can manage 3x a week and as the weights get heavier as stages progress, I often allow this aged body a bit more recovery time and have alternating weeks with 2 x gym stints. I like swimming outdoors, ocean or lake, but am not a big fan of pools either in or out.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    They're both valuable and a lot depends on your goals. I've trended more toward strength. I started with a goal of weight loss, which morphed into fitness (by that I mean the ability to do stuff - both picking up and putting down heavy things, and endurance enough to move myself around as required).

Having never lifted before, at age 54, I've found myself continually amazed at what lifting progressively and heavy does, and how much better it helps my cardio - and body composition too. I did do a fair amount of cardio at the start (last Feb through September). But after the weights got heavy, my occasional distance runs improved dramatically.

Now I lift 2x per week and do HIIT 1-2x per week. I augment that with a fair amount of walking or a 4-5 mile run every couple of weeks.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I play roller derby, a bit of a mix of strength and cardio, in intervals. When I'm not playing/training I prefer lifting, but run (steady state) for cardio (mostly because my endurance sucks!). Both lifting and cardio are to help improve my roller derbying.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I honestly enjoy both and tend to alternate between them on a daily basis.
    My "cardio" of choice is cycling and it's hard to beat being outdoors in nice weather and riding in beautiful countryside. Very wide range from an hour in the gym to all day long distance events.

But there's times when both weights and cardio are just plain hard work rather than being enjoyable and it's training towards a goal or outcome that keeps me going. I've been training too long (40+ years!) and gathered too many injuries to be hitting strength lifetime PRs but "recent PRs" still give me a buzz same as the simple "that was a good session" feeling.
    Indoor cycling generally bores me but I love the fitness results of the more technical training you can do under controlled conditions.

As I'm a latecomer to cycling I still can hit PRs once in a while and that's how I celebrated my 58th birthday - fastest ever indoor 40km/25 miles.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cardio but I do a little (mostly because it gives me more calories :wink: ).
    I enjoy lifting. Right now I'm doing SL 5x5 and adding accessories. I enjoy yoga too. I do yoga 2x a week, SL 3x a week, and a HIIT/strength interval class 2x a week.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I genuinely enjoy cardio and do it because I enjoy it. I might tweak it here or there for fitness reasons, but ultimately I do it because I like to. My primary activities are cycling (both road and mountain), running (both road and trail), hiking, and playing basketball.

Strength training I get exactly zero enjoyment from, so I ONLY do it for the strength/stability benefits, but I don't do it as regularly as I should. It is solely a means to an end for me. I do either bodyweight work or free weights. I rarely use machines.