Exercising with a Cold?

Options
I have a cold and was wondering if I should do my usual intense workout. While perusing the internet, I ran across this article in the New York Times about exercising with colds. Basically, it's fine to do so and even makes people feel better. They are more cautious to recommend exercise when you have muscle aches or chest congestion, however.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/health/nutrition/25best.html

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have a cold and was wondering if I should do my usual intense workout. While perusing the internet, I ran across this article in the New York Times about exercising with colds. Basically, it's fine to do so and even makes people feel better. They are more cautious to recommend exercise when you have muscle aches or chest congestion, however.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/health/nutrition/25best.html

I would say if you are having a hard time breathing due to congestion you should probably either take the day off or take it easy in the gym.
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    my husband swears it makes hiim feel much better to run. He is in army and when he's sick he feels much better after PT
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My thought on this is you should not go to the gym when you are sick, because you shouldn't be spreading your germs all over the shared equipment.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have had a cold for about a week, and haven't stopped working out. I feel better after running and sweating out some of this ick. My cold is basically gone now, but I would say if you can breath, you might as well sweat it out. :)
  • jalexander01
    Options
    I woke up to a head cold this morning, and was wondering the same thing, Have to continue to contemplate this one.....hope you get to felling better
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I hateeee being sick and working out! However, I always feel better after. If I am having trouble breathing, or have a bad throat, I normally divide my workout in half.
  • ltbrdg
    ltbrdg Posts: 19
    Options
    I keep pushing with a cold and I swear it goes away faster. I'm never stuffed up more than a few days. I've referred to working out as "The Cure to the Common Cold" many times!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My husband does the same thing, works out when he's sick. He's a retired Marine and common colds (although a rarity for him) never slows him down. It's like it helps his immune system or something.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My thought on this is you should not go to the gym when you are sick, because you shouldn't be spreading your germs all over the shared equipment.
    This, workout at home.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I do it but if it is in my chest i cant do cardio. So i will do so weights of something. Takes some meds to clear the symptoms so they dont bother you while you are working out.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!! Big time, I work there and get sick from people coming in sick and snodding all over the place, and I'm tired of it.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have a horrid cold right now and the cough has landed in my chest. So Im taking it easy. Even 10 min using my stationary bike pedals (I just have the pedals and use a chair) made me tired today. Just depends on you and how you feel.