Mid 50s....Trying to lose that "terrible for you" tummy fat!

Options
I am 54. My mother had her first heart attack at 53, had triple bypass surgery, and then died at 59 with a massive heart attack. My mother also had multiple myeloma. My father was diagnosed at 53 with lung cancer, never had a good day again, and passed away at 56 with cancer all over his body.

I started exercising when I was 51 because I am trying to ward off all of these "bad spirits." All of my fat is in my stomach area. I have got to lose the tummy fat, which seems to be glued to my body.

I am mildly diabetic and have neuropathy in my feet.

I love food. This low-carb undertaking is going to be hard. I am trying to look at it as a life saver. My doctor told me my tummy was going to cost me 10 - 15 years off of my life.

Anyone out there in a similar situation, I could use the support and would love to help support you!

Replies

• carolynmariemary
    Options
    Hi Debra, I'm 55 and have decided to try to lose weight to avoid diabetes . My father has the full blown disease along with heart disease. I do not want that to be my future. So, I've decided to do a low carb, healthy fat, lean protein regimen . My goal is to make life changes not just diet. I need to lose 45lbs. Im ready to make the change. A little nervous but I'm gonna do my best! I just started to watch online a documentary about diabetes and how they call it the Black Death of the 21st century. You should check it out. I've only watched the first one, it was live last night. There's 9 of them altogether . It was very good. It's called iThrive. Well, I hope to here from you and I will say a prayer for you to stay strong through this new journey in your life!
  • PrayingPatti
    PrayingPatti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra and Carolyn, I'm Patti and I'm 55 also. I'm trying to decide if I should accept the fact that I'm middle age and be fat like so many grandmas, or try to beat the system and lose 25 pounds. I'll try to lose weight one more time. I just calculated my BMI-it was up, and the goal they had for me was very low. I want to glorify the Lord in my later years and not be thinking about the next sweet I will eat. We can do this, gals. Praying for you two.
  • carolynmariemary
    Options
    Awesome, don't give up! Great to have another prayer warrior...