Not counting fruits and veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    i totally get it. and the others who have said you should count your calories accurately are correct. can you work it out so you could have both a chocolate bar and a banana? sometimes i have extra servings of fruit and veg, but only count it as one. It is not the best practice, but you should do what works for you, so long as you are pleased with your progress.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I agree. Give it a go. Different things work for different people because we all have different habits, different motivation, different ways of thinking. If you think this might work for you, give it a try. Weight Watchers obviously concluded that this rationale could work for some people. The main thing is that you are honest with yourself.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, calories are calories. Doesn't matter if it comes from fruit or from a bowl of ice cream. Telling yourself that you can ignore calories from fruit because you want to eat more fruit is no different than telling yourself you can ignore calories from ice cream because you want to eat more ice cream. I get that fruit has more nutritive value than ice cream does but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the calories if your goal is weight loss.
  • Carolyn12457
    Carolyn12457 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ivanapoutine have you considered Weight Watchers? Perhaps you're not aware that most fruits and vegetables are zero points, along with chicken breast, eggs etc. It might be worth your while to look into it. Of course the rules become a little more strict when it comes to points for other foods. It's a trade-off. My husband has done Weight Watchers over the years and this method works really well for him. He's lost 50 pounds on it.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So...here's the thing. Both the banana and chocolate smoothie bar have their day in court, so to speak, and I think a lot of people fall into a trap of labeling foods as 'bad' or even 'unhealthy' and try to avoid them entirely when this isn't necessary. I do the same thing sometimes, I'll eat 2 small pieces of chocolate instead of an entire apple (or whatever) for the same calories...and honestly that's OK as long as my nutritional needs are still being met by the rest of my day. If you're consistently choosing chocolate over fruit, then I would focus on breaking that habit instead of not tracking the calories from fruit, maybe you need to save some calories for a chocolate treat so you're not depriving yourself? I eat between 1200-1500 a day, usually, and I eat fruit and veggies daily, plus a sweet 'treat' at the end of the day when I'm watching TV. I pre log my calories to make sure I know what I'm eating, and half the time I don't even eat the treat but knowing it's an option is a HUGE help.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to eat fruits and vegetables you could make a plan that included them and chocolate.
    Calorie counting isn't required for weight loss. Give not logging some foods a try. If it doesn't get you the results you want then start tracking everything.

I have reasons other than weight loss why I want to track vegetables and fruits. I prefer a more complete record of my eating.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    At home, I track everything. But, for example, at my nephew's birthday party, my sister had out fruit platters and some veggie straws, pretzels, and popcorn. I kept a mental count of the veggie straws, but kept ambling over to the fruit and putting 4-5 grapes on my plate, then going back for more. I didn't have my scale. Taking a few at a time made eyeballing hard. I eventually logged it as 320 grams of grapes when I got home. (My typical breakfast includes one cup of grapes that I weigh out to around 160 grams on any given day. I figured I'd log two cups and call it even.) Could it have been 200? Sure. 400? Yep. But I was guessing.

Mostly, though, I count fruits and veg because I'm trying to hit my iron RDA and 2% here, 6% there? It adds up.

End of the day, I'm less meticulous about accurately logging non-fatty fruits and non-starchy veg, but I do try to be accurate when feasible—i.e. when I'm at home with my scale. When it's not feasible, I'm way more laid-back about grapes and melon than I am about caramel-coated popcorn, chips, or soft-bake chocolate chip cookies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If the concern is making sure you don't skip fruit to make room for dessert, why not make a list (simple, not to freak about) of some personal nutritional rules for yourself. Be within 5 g or more of my protein goal, hit my fiber goal, have X amount of veg and at least one serving of fruit/piece of fruit, whatever. Then figure your room for treats on top of that. Basically, instead of trying to make yourself reach for fruit when you have room for a treat, why not plan to have some fruit as part of regular meals, if you want it to be in your diet, and then if you happen to have room some day have a treat.

When I first started I was doing low calories (around 1250). Before I wised up and realized I could have more, I'd often choose between fruit and, say, some starchy side at dinner (or just have less of the side to make room for the fruit too). When I started eating more (realized I should use the exercise calories), I kept this habit, but would still often have room even so at the end of the day for some chocolate or ice cream.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    In terms of weight loss, calories are calories. Doesn't matter if it comes from fruit or from a bowl of ice cream. Telling yourself that you can ignore calories from fruit because you want to eat more fruit is no different than telling yourself you can ignore calories from ice cream because you want to eat more ice cream. I get that fruit has more nutritive value than ice cream does but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the calories if your goal is weight loss.

She's not really "ignoring" the calories from fruit though, as she is reducing her daily calorie allowance to account for it. It's her way of ensuring that all of those calories do not come from chocolate or foods with a lower nutritional value. It's kind of backwards thinking to me too, but I do believe it can work for some people.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If the concern is making sure you don't skip fruit to make room for dessert, why not make a list (simple, not to freak about) of some personal nutritional rules for yourself. Be within 5 g or more of my protein goal, hit my fiber goal, have X amount of veg and at least one serving of fruit/piece of fruit, whatever. Then figure your room for treats on top of that. Basically, instead of trying to make yourself reach for fruit when you have room for a treat, why not plan to have some fruit as part of regular meals, if you want it to be in your diet, and then if you happen to have room some day have a treat.

When I first started I was doing low calories (around 1250). Before I wised up and realized I could have more, I'd often choose between fruit and, say, some starchy side at dinner (or just have less of the side to make room for the fruit too). When I started eating more (realized I should use the exercise calories), I kept this habit, but would still often have room even so at the end of the day for some chocolate or ice cream.

I do something similar. I have a mental list of my nutritional goals. One of them is hitting my protein goal at least 6 out of 7 days.

It's definitely easier for me to plan that my meals will incorporate fruit and vegetables then I know they're covered and I count those calories and then if there's room at the end of the day I eat the treat.

What works for me is to pre-log the kinds of foods and rough estimates of amounts that fit within my goal. For example I might log 200 g chicken, 200 g potato, 100 g green beans. And then I know I have calories for that amount but I might start making my plate and decide that's too much chicken or too many potatoes and not enough green beans and adjust it. Which frees up calories (since green beans are less calories than potatoes). Now I've covered my veg but also made room for some chocolate that I'm craving. I might decided to have 10g of chocolate and some strawberries instead of 30 g of chocolate. I can have both.

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I had to get out of the "chocolate has fewer calories than a banana" cycle by figuring out how full I wanted to feel. If I just want a treat, I go for the chocolate. If I'm hungry and need to feel full or satisfied or something, I go for the banana. Both are awesome depending on what your needs are.

This is exactly what I would have said. Yes, chocolate might be better in the moment, but how about 5 mins later? I took me a while, but I was finally able to replace (almost) all sweets with substitutes that offer way better satiety and nutrition. Two of my favs are a banana with a tiny drizzle of maple syrup and sea salt flakes, or an apple with 2tbs spicy hummus. Sweet, salty and satisfying.

That being said, have some chocolate once in a while!!
  • Ivanapoutine
    Ivanapoutine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Some were very helpful. I fully realize fruit have calories (hence why I was avoiding it to eat other foods aka the problem). WW is a no go for me as their “free style” is too much since 90% of the food I eat would be zero points. I actually gained weight from it. I do agree, I want to account for the nutritional value of my food so I know I’m on track. To me, 1200 cals does not go that far so maybe instead of not entering fruits and veggies, I will just add an extra walk to have some sweets. Problem solved. Thanks community!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Some were very helpful. I fully realize fruit have calories (hence why I was avoiding it to eat other foods aka the problem). WW is a no go for me as their “free style” is too much since 90% of the food I eat would be zero points. I actually gained weight from it. I do agree, I want to account for the nutritional value of my food so I know I’m on track. To me, 1200 cals does not go that far so maybe instead of not entering fruits and veggies, I will just add an extra walk to have some sweets. Problem solved. Thanks community!

Sounds like a solid plan to me, cheers and good luck.
  • smkirkpatrick15
    smkirkpatrick15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and am tempted to do the same. I don't know anyone who has gained too much weight by eating fruits and veggies!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if it works...
    but fruit and vegetable calories can add up surprisingly fast