Spinning bike recommendations

Options
bopper
bopper Posts: 352 Member
Looking for a home spinning bike. Any recommendations out there from you spinners.

Replies

• bopper
    Options
    bump
  • rtoledo71
    Options
    bump

How much are you looking to spend? If money is no option, either a Schwinn or a an Keiser M3.

I prefer the M3 because when I pedal, it feels more like a real bike.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply first of all. I can't afford a whole lot. Maybe 500$.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If you have a bike already, I would recommend the 1-UP USA trainer (http://www.1upusa.com/). I have been using it for years. The only repair needed in over 7 years was a new skewer which I think cost me $5 online. I also use Spinervals DVD's to help me train. Coach Troy Jacobson recommends the Kinetic trainer. I haven't had any experience with it though, but it looks nice. I just don't trust fluid trainers as the most reliable over time. (http://www.coachtroy.com/products/item117.cfm).

You will find that you can burn a ton of calories working out on the trainer. I like variety so I go to Spinning class at my gym and I also do some trail running. Once I get my weight down another five pounds, I'll probably work in more strength training. Although, the simulated hill climbing on the bike trainer does a great job of toning and strengthening the leg muscles.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks, I just didn't want to have to take my road bike in and out of the trainer on days where it might be raining. I had thought about a trainer but for that reason I opted for a spinner bike. Thanks for the info on the dvd's too. On your trainer does your bike slant downward as the back tire is the only one in the trainer?

Thanks again, still hunting for an affordable spinner bike.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Options
    I bought a riser when I got the trainer, so it is level when I am riding. The riser has multiple slots for the front tire, so if I want to feel like I'm on an incline, I can make that adjustment. I do dread taking the bike out of the trainer when I want to ride outdoors, but it really isn't that difficult and time consuming. I can usually get it in and out within 5 minutes or less. It is a time saver for me when I just want to get a good workout in after work, and especially in the winter time when I don't want to fight the snow to get to a gym. I do like riding outdoors, but I usually only have time to do that on the weekends, because it takes some time to get the bike on a rack and drive to a good place to ride. Also, if you look into the DVDs, make sure you check out the reviews on Amazon.com or roadbikereview.com first. Determine what level rider you are and lean toward the more highly reviewed or popular DVDs in your category.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks I'll do that!
  • bopper
    Options
    It says it only takes 3 seconds to load and unload your bike. If that is the case I could go with this and just take my road bike in the house on rainy and snowy days. Did I mention my bike is a Cruiser bike not a skinny road bike.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Options
    I have the 1-Up USA model, and I'm pretty sure it could accommodate most bike types. It opens up wide so you can easily fit any size bike between the support posts, and the resistance wheel is probably 4 inches wide. So, any size tire should fit. I think I paid approx. $300 for my trainer. I'm happy with that investment, I use it fairly often when I don't have time or good weather conditions to go outdoors.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks for the info.