Is there a certain type of resistance training?

alexxazt
alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey!
So I understand that in order to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit.
But to not get “skinny fat” from being in a caloric deficit, you should do more resistance / strength training.
I see a lot of stuff that say you need to lift heavy weights to get results.

Is body weight okay to do instead?
Are they equally effective?

Example:
Doing Plyo squats and lunges
Vs
Doing weighted squats and weighted lunges.

Or: example:
Insanity workout vs leg day, chest and back day, shoulders and hamstrings day, etc.

This is also for someone who wants to lose 30lbs, and is experienced in fitness but just has an extra layer of insulation ;)

Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    It's not so much the type of training, it's the amount of resistance. You have to sufficiently work/stress your muscles (this will vary person to person and exercise to exercise). There are a number of ways to do that, and while free weights are the most efficient, they certainly aren't the only.
  • RickSuk
    RickSuk Posts: 8 Member
    Whatever you WILL do will be the most effective.

Bodyweight exercises make a lot of sense if you don't want to pay to go to a gym, or turn your room into one. The biggest downside is making it part of your routine. It's easy to put off if you are at home. Put it on the calendar. It is an appointment that you have to keep. (don't let yourself get frustrated)

There are ways for making almost all bodyweight exercises more strenuous, once you master the basics. So do it today!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »
    Hey!
    So I understand that in order to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit.
    But to not get “skinny fat” from being in a caloric deficit, you should do more resistance / strength training.
    I see a lot of stuff that say you need to lift heavy weights to get results.

Is body weight okay to do instead?
    Are they equally effective?

Example:
    Doing Plyo squats and lunges
    Vs
    Doing weighted squats and weighted lunges.

Or: example:
    Insanity workout vs leg day, chest and back day, shoulders and hamstrings day, etc.

This is also for someone who wants to lose 30lbs, and is experienced in fitness but just has an extra layer of insulation ;)

Thanks!

If you're experienced in fitness, keep doing what you like, and cut your calories.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    The use of external weights is generally accepted as being more effective since you can easily load the movements and work up to a very heavy load.

That said, other forms of resistance training shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed. Some people don't have access to weights, some just prefer bodyweight movements. Many people combine both methods (which I personally feel is best).