EMOTIONAL EATER STARTING OVER (Again!)

Options
"When you're happy, your food of choice could be steak or pizza, when you're sad it could be ice cream or cookies, and when you're bored it could be potato chips. Food does more than fill our stomachs -- it also satisfies our feelings, and when you quench those feelings with comfort food when your stomach isn't growling, that's emotional eating."

I am an emotional eater looking for a fresh start and the support of others who have been there and conquered or are there now and need accountability like me.

I live in a rural area with no exercise buddy or gym nearby. So I must exercise solo. I need someone to hold my feet to the fire and help me believe in myself again..

Replies

• sunniebeehealthy
    sunniebeehealthy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I do this too! Hi :)
  • jodieh06
    jodieh06 Posts: 49
    Options
    I totally know the feeling, woke up today feeling rubbish and instead of heading to the carbs like usual, i made a 1000 calorie microwave mug cake. In disgust, i have now been running on the wii fit for 90 minutes and plan on carrying on.. i also have to exercise solo without a gym and really struggle.. i end up starting with going for a short walk whenever i feel rough, which tends to give me some motivation. But if you're looking for support, you've come to the right place, MFP has a great community!
  • ktraubert
    Options
    Im right with you guys. When life stresses me out, I turn to food. I have now put back on some of the weight I lost w/ MFP, but I'm hoping to start over and hope that I have the strength to one day, change this habit.
  • Twilightmom06
    Twilightmom06 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are so not alone. I am the same way.
  • eaglemonster
    eaglemonster Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can understand some of the those feelings. I tend to loose self esteem when under undue stress, these are the times i tend to gain wait,. or at least struggle to maintain. I have been with MFP for around a year and was loosing the lbs lovely until we gained a new director at work....my face no longer fits since I struggle to maintain. sad thing being that i don't realize when i am doing the damage until its to late!
    Usually the days i am to ashamed to use MFP. admittedly things are getting a little better recently and i am hoping to see some movement in a positive direction on my weight, although its not all bad as i have lost 2% body fat over my stagnant period.

you need friends, your welcome to add me for extra support. we all need it.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh how much I understand!!! I haven't found the "secret" yet - but keep adding tools to my belt every time I have "slippage." And I'm getting better at catching my slips sooner.

So what are some of those secrets? Well, I'm not sure they are secrets:

1. FITYMI is a saying I use often - Fake It Til You Make It
    2. Step on the scale. I don't care if you don't want to and know it's not going to be a good reading. Keep your scale stepping schedule whether every day (me), week, or month
    3. Blog!! If you don't have one set up - Word Press is good. I'll be your friend there if you decide to set one up - PM me and I'll add you to mine as well. You can set them as private (unlike here) so the whole world can't see.
    4. Set a fitness goal - I signed up for another 1/2 marathon (after 3 years of not running) for this coming May - having a a goal in front of me helps (and telling others about it so you can't back down!)
    5. Food is fuel, not happiness. It's a mantra for me.
    6. Sounds hookey - but make index cards with reasons you want to do this - read them everytime you want to emotional eat or skip out on exercise (sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't)
    7. I take a bath when I want "bad for me" foods because of emotions. I think it works because it helps take my mind off the food and makes me look at myself naked - lol

Frankly, I don't know if I'll ever conquer emotional eating, it will be a lifelong battle for me. I realize now (like you have) that I need support and someone to call me out when I start making excuses. I'm lucky to have those people --- would love to be one of those people for you and have you do the same for me!!

I'll be more than happy to hold your feet to the fire, as long as you hold mine too!!! :)
  • alshearer
    alshearer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Keep telling yourself you can do it (now if I can take my own advice)!! :)
  • lemonlime1
    lemonlime1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im totally with you. I dont suppose I ever eat because Im actually hungry - its usually because Im feeling a certain way. Need to get out of the cycle and eat because we need food!
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain - just yesterday I had a pretty bad doctor's appointment, so I came back and ate some Doritos, a bowl of ice cream, and a cookie. Aaaaand then I had fast food for dinner.

Needless to say, I definitely know how the "emotional eating" thing goes!! But we can overcome it, for sure!!
  • emyback68
    Options
    I am so with all of you. I have to say, it feels good just knowing you are all out there struggling like I do. So often I am too ashamed to post what I have eaten. I get up every morning so certain that I will stick to a meal plan, only to blow it at some point during the day. And then once I have blown it, I just keep eating cause I will just start again tomorrow. I have a hard time just putting a few good days together. I feel so jealous of the people on this site that are just able to stick to it. I don't seem to have the will.

I could use the support, so feel free to send a friend request.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    OKAY SO LETS TRY THIS: Every time you have the desire to eat, post to this thread tell what your mood is and what your response is. Perhaps that way we can all learn to make better choices and encourage each other.

:blushing: Last night I was bored so I ate a peach, 2 chocolate graham crackers, a sm bag of doritos, some popcorn and a diet ginger ale.

:flowerforyou: I feel empowered by a fresh start. I actually waited to eat until I felt physical hunger , so I ate a protein bar as a mid afternoon snack.

(I'll begin a new thread in September or whenever this one gets full.)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Me. This is me. Happy, sad, bored, angry, no matter what it is, I turn to food. It's got to stop. And it's not like I am turning to food and not allowing myself to feel these emotions or express them. I do. So why eat on top of it???

I will post here when I am feeling it. Maybe you all can talk me off the ledge, (or away from the fridge) when I need it!
  • emyback68
    Options
    That is a great idea. I will definitely post when I am emotionally eating (or when I felt like doing it, but didn't). Thanks guys.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    And for the record, at my largest ever I was 201 lbs - March 2009. I am currently at 170 lbs. There are photos on my profile.
  • ktraubert
    Options
    Last night I was very frustrated and ended up at a friends house and ate a ton of toquitos, not my smartest move ever. But I guess today is a new day...
  • kiwisocks
    Options
    I know for a fact I'm an emotional eater. Sometimes (probably once a month I will go on a total binge and can't stop myself, I feel like a bottomless pit and could prob eat everything in the house. It's so disappointing! Thing is I have NO idea what emotions trigger my eating! I think the best idea is def to track your bad days and to really reflect upon how you were feeling that day. I'm not sure if I will ever get my emotional eating under control, it has definitely what has stopped be from reaching my goal and being the same weight for almost two years (almost 20 over my lowest too) but I WILL get there eventually!!
    OKAY SO LETS TRY THIS: Every time you have the desire to eat, post to this thread tell what your mood is and what your response is. Perhaps that way we can all learn to make better choices and encourage each other.

:blushing: Last night I was bored so I ate a peach, 2 chocolate graham crackers, a sm bag of doritos, some popcorn and a diet ginger ale.

:flowerforyou: I feel empowered by a fresh start. I actually waited to eat until I felt physical hunger , so I ate a protein bar as a mid afternoon snack.

(I'll begin a new thread in September or whenever this one gets full.)
  • KittyKC85
    Options
    I understand what you're going through. I find myself binge eating at times of stress and "emotional eating" especially during the time of the month. I find that MFP helps me to be more aware of what I'm eating with the food log and also planning meals for the entire day helps me steer away from eating empty calories.

Feel free to add me! :)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options

And so it begins. Even though I ate a taco salad for lunch and; feel full, I am craving chocolate. Chocolate has always been my downfall and one of those things that I am never happy with only a small portion of. I have GOT to retrain my appetite if I ever want to lose this last 30 pounds. I know I am not hungry; just bored.

I am going to try to distract myself by deep cleaning the fridge and repeat to myself...

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS!

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I am extremely angry right now and fighting the urge to eat handfuls of chocolate chips from the bag!
  • Guinsmom
    Options
    Have you read Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth? It speaks to the reasons why we often emotionally eat and don't listen to our bodies. She has good strategies.