Workouts at the Desk?

Options
I am a desk jockey(Secretary) and refuse to become one of those woman with "secretary butt"(If you don't know what I am talking about start paying attention to your admin staff haha- they are usually flat and big(some huge) from sitting all day :P) ---I work out about three times a week-more if I have energy , I am always moving around the office-Instead of phone calls I will walk to people offices etc. I was wondering if anyone had some not so obvious ways to exercise at the desk.. I work in a high volume area and it would look goofy if I was doing jumping jacks and sit ups in front of my 3 bosses. When everyone is gone out of the office I usually do something more movement based to get the blood pumping so I am not looking for an easy out--just a way to keep burning those calories while at the desk. (PS-No stability balls-- had one explode under me(it was apparently recalled-but I still don’t trust those things) --painful fall and still paying for it years later w/ minor back issues - 6'2 ppl don't fall lightly ha)

Replies

• lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump...I am in the same proffesion as you and would love to hear some tips as well :)
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    this is great...BUMP!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pull my knees up to hit the underside of my desk for some ab workout. You can do butt crunches if no one is there (cause you lift up and down...LOL) and you can do inner thigh squeezes and use resistance bands ties around your ankles and to leg extensions to strengthen your quads. You can use the same bands around your knees and pull your knees apart to get the outter thighs...just some ideas. Also, google it.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Same position..bump
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly more private office so I can do a little more, but some easy things to do - ab work - perch balanced on the edge of chair with abs tight and legs extended. Alternate lifting both legs at the same time and then one at a time.

Keep legs extended in air and use your feet to spell out the alphabet. Keep calves tight while you do this (it is also a good cure/prevention for shin splints if you run or walk a lot). Make lots of trips to bathroom, break area, co-workers, and take the longest possible walk to get there. Take stairs when you can if that works in your office. Hope this helps :)
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    I have been hearing about this new thing of standing at your desk. You burn more calories per hour doing so, so I think at end of 8 hour day, you would have burned between 300-400 more calories than you would have sitting. I don't have a sit down job, I used to and didn't do this, but there are plenty of articles on this.
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/stand-up-while-you-read-this/

there's just one, like I said there's literally hundreds more that claim it's much better for you. Good luck!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha I used to do squats or walk in place while waiting for the fax machine or copier.
  • tiabugg217
    tiabugg217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I keep one hand weight in my desk drawer (or just use a reem of paper) and do a few sets of bicep curls or arm raises. I also make myself do 20 squats an hour in my cube. You can also do stationary lunges. Set a goal per hour. Keeps you from feeling like all youve done is sit all day!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    do pedaling while sitting. Nobody will know! :) Just lift your feet slightly off the ground and pretend like you're pedaling a bike for as long as you can. Speed it up and slow it down to give some intensity.
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    Here are a couple of articles I found and bookmarked (lol) on ways to exercise at work :)

http://fabfitfun.com/workout-at-work-legs
    http://fabfitfun.com/office-workout-arms

Ashlee
  • sunniebeehealthy
    sunniebeehealthy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do calf raises while sitting at my desk. If you focus on the squeezing as you lift your heels- you feel it burn! I try to do it a few times a day.. Small but doable :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later..
  • Rickie_Raver
    Rickie_Raver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found some pretty helpful stuff here http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm. Alos everytime I go to the restroom I run up and down the flight of stairs 3-4 times. This gives me an excellent energy boost periodically throguh out the day. Also on my lunch break I walk around the building a few times, which is a mile. Good luck :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    There are portable pedal machines that stow under the desk. Usually made for people rehabbing and can't stand well but if it can burn some excess calories might be worth it.

http://www.magnetrainer.com/
  • Cathy_5011
    Options
    great topic! sorry I dont have any awnsers other than I do the same thing walk to peoples desk instead of calling and taking the stairs. (Which might I add really hard in my big heels) :laugh:
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I love the ideas .. keep them comin! The bicycles under the desk cannot work for me :( I Bump my knees just sitting everyday haha -- too tall.. I considered getting one of those under desk peddlers.. but I would have to have someone come out and raise my desk about 6 inches ha.
  • anniemackeen
    anniemackeen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    We have like a “concourse” level below the lobby. Mostly maintenance people and building manager there, I sometimes take the stairs there to use the bathroom on that floor. I work on the 7th floor.
    Now I am in my own office not a cube, so I occasionally do squats when I think no one will walk by
    At the printer I do calf raises
    My boss does not like this but I use the "smokers" as my sign. When they go for smoke breaks, I walk out with them, except I take the stairs down then back up. Not always, cuz they smoke a lot, but often.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ... And nobody said kegels. Disappointing! Don't forget your best muscles!