February sort of stank, but that's okay

Options
Towards the end of 2017, I posted a thread talking about how I wasn't going to hit one of my goals for the year but that was okay. A lot of people seemed to relate to that sentiment, which was awesome! At the risk of looking like I'm just bad at the CICO game, this post is to acknowledge that not only did I not meet my goal of losing 3 pounds a month this month, I didn't even lose a full pound. But hey, that's okay! I caught a short but ugly flu and decided to eat at maintenance - plus I was crazy hungry. I'd never been sick while losing weight before and hadn't realized that would be a thing. I've also been mixing up my workouts a lot, so my water weight is all the heck over the place (maybe I have lost some fat pounds, who the kitten even knows). And finally, February is just the worst, right? I know it's not just me. The only month that even tries to be as all-around terrible as February is August. I figure the only real difference is which seasons are harsher wherever you live, and winter where I live is a bear.

So cheers to anyone who fell short of the mark in February, and here's to focusing on your successes: I didn't gain weight, I researched and picked out a progressive lifting program and got a set of adjustable dumbbells I'm excited to start hitting, I managed to do 47 minutes of a 60 minute plank challenge (up from 0 last month, so I'm counting it a win), and as of midnight tonight, it won't be February anymore! Boo February, good riddance!

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Melonpaul wrote: »
    Same here, this month wasn't a good month for accomplishments for myself either. Here's to a progressive March :)

High five!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. Hopefully I will do better in March.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It was going fine in the beginning and now I'm right back up to where I started. Might be water weight (here's to hoping it is) or it might not. I guess time will only tell.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited February 2018
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Literally didn't lose a pound.
    Not. A. One.

I've had to punch a new hole in my belts though. But still obese AF.

Hey, congratulations! I went down a hole on my watch, but WTF my wrists were already tiny! I stopped measuring myself in late Jan/early Feb because my measurements hadn't changed since mid-December when I went on a diet break, even though I lost about five pounds in January. I've had to remind myself that it's not a bad thing to lose all over at once, but it was still making me grumpy not to see any changes, especially after six weeks of more intense strength-based workouts. I get kind of hung up on belly to height ratio sometimes and need to take my own advice about focusing on the positives and chilling out. I'll probably suck it up and measure tomorrow, but I think it's gotta be no more than once a month for me going forward.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My February didn't go as I'd hoped either but I did maintain my weight so that's a win. I had a cold that wouldn't go away and for two weeks I just had no energy to exercise. March will be better!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! February just did not go as planned. Work, the weather, family stuff, etc., etc. just all seemed to conspire against me.

But I figure I didn't gain any weight and I'm seeing signs of Spring, so March will be better.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Funny how the shortest month can seem like the longest. In this hemisphere, February always sucks whether you lose weight or not.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did okay in February, actually did pretty good overall...scale is still stuck right at the same spot, but I'm in a recomp, and while I have fat to lose, I found I just can't eat at any more of a deficit than I am and make it through my workouts - so, pot(ay)to, pot(ah)to.

Obviously still a long ways from what I want to see on the scale and in the mirror, but working towards it daily.

This last weekend actually made all the hard work worth it all - my bad leg held up great, and wasn't even really a thought or concern while at the track, which is HUGE since it was a major problem all of last year. Having that "measurement" come through at the end of the month was a really big boost to my mood.

Plus, I had more fun on my bike since I bought the darn thing (I broke my leg - on a dirt bike - the day after I bought the new race bike....)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I did okay in February, actually did pretty good overall...scale is still stuck right at the same spot, but I'm in a recomp, and while I have fat to lose, I found I just can't eat at any more of a deficit than I am and make it through my workouts - so, pot(ay)to, pot(ah)to.

Obviously still a long ways from what I want to see on the scale and in the mirror, but working towards it daily.

This last weekend actually made all the hard work worth it all - my bad leg held up great, and wasn't even really a thought or concern while at the track, which is HUGE since it was a major problem all of last year. Having that "measurement" come through at the end of the month was a really big boost to my mood.

Plus, I had more fun on my bike since I bought the darn thing (I broke my leg - on a dirt bike - the day after I bought the new race bike....)

Hey, congratulations! I've seen you mention your injury but not that it happened right after you bought the new bike - that's just an extra bit of turd on a turd sandwich right there.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ugh good bye February! I got the flu too and I hardly left my bed for a solid week. My body weight scale broke and I bought a kitchen scale instead since I'm a little tight on money at the moment. I'm trying to trust the process and focus on eating the correct amount of calories instead of obsessing over my weight for a few weeks anyways. I have sneaking suspicion that I didn't lose the amount I wanted to this month though. I also let the snow and rain be an excuse not to meet my step goal for most of this month :#
    But I'm ready for February to be over and I'm spending time this evening to draft a plan of attack for march. Good luck next month everyone!

What lifting program are you starting?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    birdenerd wrote: »
    Ugh good bye February! I got the flu too and I hardly left my bed for a solid week. My body weight scale broke and I bought a kitchen scale instead since I'm a little tight on money at the moment. I'm trying to trust the process and focus on eating the correct amount of calories instead of obsessing over my weight for a few weeks anyways. I have sneaking suspicion that I didn't lose the amount I wanted to this month though. I also let the snow and rain be an excuse not to meet my step goal for most of this month :#
    But I'm ready for February to be over and I'm spending time this evening to draft a plan of attack for march. Good luck next month everyone!

What lifting program are you starting?

I'm doing the AWorkoutRoutine beginner program with dumbbells (for now - I'm planning on adding barbell work but won't be able to afford a full home kit until June and I'm allergic to gyms). It's funny - people talk about not liking weight lifting because it's boring, but I really like the efficiency of just focusing on a few basics to start out. Also, my dad bought me a set of adjustable dumbbells as an early birthday present but instead of the 21 pound per hand set I asked for he got me a set that only goes up to 12.5 pounds per hand because "that should last you for years." He's visiting in May and I'm hoping to rub his face in it just a little bit. Heh.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Me, too. Not a single pound. I started in January and my calories were too low. I was hungry and feeling run down. And I got sick, although not the flu. I increased my calories and I have not had any results on the scale. I had a couple of weekends that went from bad to worse so I know that I may have had better results if I had been consistent. All I can do is keep moving forward and try to do better. Meal planning is key for me so I will work on that.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Same here. 1.8# in Jan. 1.8# in Feb. It's like watching paint dry.
    Here's to March. Starting my exercise Monday.
    Good luck to you all.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    February was sucky for me as well. 2 weeks of heavy duty antibiotics for an infection and then recovering from the destruction of my gut flora. A tiny bit of water weight loss today due to 2 days of eating near nothing in preparation for this morning's endoscopy. Yay...I'm the proud owner of an ulcer and a hiatal hernia. February can kiss my...

Hope you feel better soon.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    February saw me miss the mark on a lot of my plans and daily self-commitments, and I am NOT A FAN of this past month. Thanks y'all for making me not feel alone!!!

Thanks @MegaMooseEsq for mentioning AWorkoutRoutine, that looks straightforward enough and with enough OPTIONS that maybe I can try to commit to do it in March. I desperately need to do something besides cardio, I am headed for a serious case of skinnyfat in spite of the weight I did not lose in February.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I love your honesty and attitude with this journey. I am sure it is this kind of mindset that leads to successful maintenance.