Weight or inches...

Options
Since I’m vigilant at logging and working out, I work hard not to stress when the scale doesn’t move. In fact, it hasn’t moved in two weeks, but I’m still pushing. I have done this long enough to know that I retain water at least two weeks a month, (before / after)

So, are you scale dependent or measurement dependent? What works best for your process?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    A bit of both was my method in the early days of weight loss. The scale could have stayed the same for 3 weeks before I used to see any loss so during that time measurements helped keep me sane.
    Even yet in maintenance there will be 10 days in the month when the scale spikes up by a few pounds and then its back to the usual number.
    Weighing daily actually was beneficial to me, I used a trending weight app to keep data of the fluctuations and this helped me see the general trend was downwards.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on how I look, not some number on a scale.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Right now I use the scale to make sure I am heading in the right direction (and not going too slow or fast)..I do take measurements but they discourage me so I don't bother too much, so ultimately I am mirror/photo dependent.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd say I'm not DEPENDENT on either.
    I track weight daily in a trending app to see averages over time.
    I take measurements monthly to track progress over time.

However, there are times when I do neither and focus on how my exercise performance/progress is over time.

I wouldn't say I'm dependent on any of these things. I could do them or not do them, since I know my nutrition is on track and I trust the process, and it wouldn't really affect me.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I only measure, but you have to be careful that you aren't holding the tape incorrectly and you are measuring consistently. I think the scale is a better way to stay honest about gains and losses.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Chin up buttercup! I still get a bit discouraged when I don't see scale move. I was told not to worry, that I am firming up. People have noticed that I've lost inches all around. Like @netitheyeti said, take progress pics and measurements. Don't forget to weigh yourself once a week. Good luck on this journey! Xoxo
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I would focus more on how I look, not some number on a scale.

Ditto
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Both, the scale is just one indicator of success. I measure, take pictures & go by how my clothes feel.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I am a little too dependent on the scale. I get super excited when I see my weight has gone down, but I also get super discouraged when the number goes up or does not move at all.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My scale is barely moving so I'm relying on my photos/measurements atm... I'm averaging about 1200-1300 calories a day and if I looked just at weight I'd be feeling pretty depressed right now... (read: I've lost maybe 1/2 of what mfp predicted, even though I weigh everything and I'm for the most part not eating back exercise calories)
    Photos let me see that my body IS changing though
    k2ycvbjxt5e6.png

For sure... I never eat back exercise calories either, but what I must also look at is my water intake. I don’t think I’m drinking enough which probably leads to the prolonged bloating periods. In fact, I KNOW I’m not drinking anywhere near my 128oz a day.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! I swear this site keeps me sane in this process.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I was just posting in another thread about how frustrated I've been not seeing measurements go down the last 2-3 months, although I have lost about 6 pounds in that time. I guess it all came off of my feet or something. :wink: You just have to take whatever successes you can and try and stay patient and positive.