New to the Boards - in need of help!

Options
I am trying to get motivated to really make a change so I can get healthy. I've got a pre-type II diabetes diagnosis to squash, and I'm at my heaviest ever. I've had a belly before... it's never physically gotten in the way before, so to say I'm feeling down about my situation would be putting it lightly. I'd like to lose about 100 pounds.

I have a history with eating disorders, so I'm terrified of the pressure that comes with wanting to lose weight. My husband wants to help however he can, but I don't know what to ask for because I fear I'll be asking him to do or say something that will hurt my feelings.

I can't figure out how to balance my needs and worries so I'm reaching out for support, ideas, anything that could help me get going again so I can lose some weight, gain some health, and keep on going.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome,

Try to take a deep breath. Weight loss is all about consistency and patience. Set appropriate goals (see the second thread below) and just keep making small changes until you figure out what works for you best.

I think these two links are extremely helpful and can help you get the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~Best wishes on your journey
  • LinzeePanda
    LinzeePanda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that first line, breathing and patience are a little tough sometimes. The posts you shared, I'm sure, will be very helpful. I've been off and on with MFP for years, but there was still a lot to learn from the first post. The second one needs a more dedicated read through, lots of great information there, and I'm sure it'll be a huge help.

Thank you again!
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree, step by step. You are already here! Off to a good start! Little changes will add up to make a big difference!
  • iHikePlaces
    iHikePlaces Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What I do is set small goals. I don’t look at the bigger goal. For example, I’ll look to lose 1-2 lbs then when that happens, I feel motivated, accomplished and it keeps me going.