why am I always hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It did take me a few weeks of exercising a lot to gain more calories so I could eat more before eventually I realized i was full without eating all of my exercise calories, and sometimes full on days w/ no exercise, and eating no extra calories.

That said, I looked at about a week of your diary & it does seem very carb-heavy/ protein low. Are you a vegetarian? If you don't eat meat, you need to find other foods that are higher in protein to help keep you full.
  • McWilkie
    McWilkie Posts: 27
    Options
    Try bumping up your protein and fiber and decreasing refined sugar. When it comes to carbs complex carbohydrates will leave you feeling satisfied longer. Check out the website Body For Life for a great list of lean proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats. It has really helped me in making healthier choices. Feel free to add me for extra support :)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Some people say you adjust to it after a while. Personally, I've been on MFP for almost 6 months now, and I still feel like I could wreak havoc on an all-you-can-eat buffet at any given moment. I 've tried eating high-protein foods and drinking water to curb my hunger, but it doesn't help. Hopefully you'll be one of thoe ones that adjust to it as time goes on. If not, you're going to have to learn willpower (I know, it sucks). Find something else to do to take your mind off the hunger, or use a 0-cal or low-cal drink mix to help taste cravings.

Also, make the most of the calories you have available. A decent-sized bowl of strawberries will cost you about 50 calories, while a serving of potato chips will cost you about 150, and the strawberries are more filling. I was watching Hungry Girl on Food Network the other day and she showed some pretty interesting calorie comparisons like that. They may be on the website if you want to check it out. My final piece of advice would be to treat yourself on occasion so you don't go crazy and binge. I have one or two unhealthy snacks a night (chips, cookies, etc.) but I limit myself to the serving size on the package, or less. If you don't want to do that every day, try once a week or so. Knowing that you aren't being totally deprived will usually keep you from munching down on a whole bag of chips or a dozen cookies. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • bogoli
    bogoli Posts: 15
    Options
    With the program that my husband and I are on,we are supposed to eat every 2-3 hours.
    If you starve yourself, your body goes into starvation mode and makes you store fat, when you are not eating.
    When you are hungry, eat. It will keep your metabolism up and by the end of the day you will be satisfied.
    Make sure that what you eat, is low in carbs, high in protein and low in calories too.

Eating 3 times a day is not how we are supposed to eat.
    Hope that helps.
    Eat at least 3 meals and 3 snacks per day.

Hope that helps.

Starvation mode only kicks in after 72 hours of eating below your BMR. I do intermittent fasting three times a week, meaning I don't eat after dinner on Sunday until a late, light dinner on Monday. Same goes for Wednesday and Friday. On fasting days, I'll drink water, green tea, and sometimes black coffee, and eat about 500 calories for dinner. On non fasting days, I'll eat about 1600 calories, and generally not worry about what I eat. I've lost 13 pounds since I started this, 10 of which I used MFP with.
    What it comes down to is making sure your calories in are less than your calories out. If you feel like you need to eat more, work out to make up the difference!
    Good luck to you! :)
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found that cheese and deli meat keep me fuller than bread and other stuff. The protein is more complex and harder to digest than simple carbohydrates.

That said, yes, I am hungry often. It took me a while to learn how to ignore it. I chew gum, drink water or get up and walk around. I've been using this website since February and I'm not nearly so hungry all the time anymore. I think I just had to learn how not to want to eat all the time (If that's even a viable sentence? Sorry for the grammatical confusion)

I would suggest that if you are having a hard time with hunger (as I did) try to work more exercise into your day, even just walking. That gave me an extra 200-400 calories a day to safely snack. And when you do snack, I recommend carrots and hummus, apples, cheese and deli meat. The carrots and hummus especially because your jaw gets tired after the second carrot.

I wish you luck! Remember to keep posting if you find you are struggling with it. Support is free and plentiful around here.
  • nawlinsned
    Options
    Your diet is mostly carbs. It needs to be mostly protein. If you work on insulin resistance then you know that your insulin level increases when you eat more carbs. And your blood chemistry once you've eaten those carbs makes you hungry once you've digested the food because your insulin level stays high. You're also making the mistake of assuming that because you're eating fruits as snacks, they're automatically healthy for you. They CAN be, but not when you're downing 200-300g of carbs a day. Even if you eliminate dietary fiber, you're still eating over a cup of sugar.

I eat nothing but meat, veggies, fruits, eggs, cheese, and cream. I've dropped 71 pounds since May 30. I used to consume about 5-6000 calories a day, with about 1400 or so coming from soda. Within a month I was able to cut out all breads and pasta, eliminate my soda and sweets cravings, and start eating healthy. I grill food or cook it twice a week, and that's what I eat.

I had two boiled eggs for breakfast, going to have 3 chicken drumsticks with asparagus, peppers, and mushrooms for lunch, and some fish with white asparagus and some halloumi with toom over tomatoes for supper. About 1500 calories for the day, and I won't ever be hungry. In fact, I usually have to force myself to get to 1500... usually by drinking something with cream or eating a few extra string cheeses.

You can do it too. You say you're a scientist, so do some research. Figure out what foods you enjoy that are less calorie/carb dense, but will satisfy you.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my favorite cookies are 9g for 15 cookies. If I'm going to eat sugar I want to enjoy a treat!!!

What cookies are those??? I want to check 'em out!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Per other posters, check your protein levels.

When I was losing weight (December 2010 through June 2011) I disregarded MFP's 50/25/25 ratios for carbs/fat/protein. I went with 50% protein and 25/25. I had a diet of 800 to 1000 net calories and exercised three times a week on an elliptical.

It took me seven months to lose 95 pounds but I only felt hungry three times in those seven months.

Since then, I've take up running (half-marathon in 12 days - hoaah!) and I've upped my calories from 1240 to 1750. Based on recommendations from Runners World, I've swapped my mix to 50% carbs and…guess what? I get hungry now!

And, heh, it's only 0941 but I'm feeling like it's time for my 1030 snack!

Coffee, more coffee!

:-)
  • kierra28
    kierra28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I joined recently too as you already know...I will share few things that seem to be helping me out:
    1) starting my day with 1 glass of water
    2) 15-30 mins later a glass of green tea (warm water and green tea dip with half lemon juice)...on the days I skip green tea I feel I am having more cravings than the ones on which I did drink it.
    3) I am trying to include either a raw cucumber, tomato, carrot (carrots are dense in fiber and help a lot to fill tummy up). I dash them with some lemon juice and I am refraining from adding salt on salads now to keep it in check. I usually slice them up really thin so i have to work(chew) more and longer to eat them up. If I have sprouted beans or cottage cheese at hand I throw in a hand full *edit 2 tbsps or so * (in this case I chop them up in small pieces and shred the cottage cheese over them for some different texture) I am trying to play around with the way i chop/slice them and plate them up just to make it fun to eat and have something different texture wise. Today I ate carrots and cucumber sliced up separately and 2 tbsp pomegranate over cubed cottage cheese. I substitute 1 roti (i usually ate 2 per meal) with these salads. They are helping me keep full.
    4) I try to have yogurt rather than milk. I take say 1/2 cup yogurt and smooth it out with another 1/3 to 1/2 cup water. There you go...It will be more full filling.
    5) I am noticing the less carbs I eat the less craving I feel.
    6) Drinking a glass of water say 10 mins before your meal also helps.
    7) Try not to eat while watching TV , comp or reading a book as brain gets slow to register that you have eaten and there will be more craving still.

Don't give up and hang in there! I totally understand the part about emotional eating. Make your self aware that you are in control and let no emotional triggers take it away from you. (I know easier said than done...but we have to toughen up some or the other day if we want to turn our lives around :) )
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    my favorite cookies are 9g for 15 cookies. If I'm going to eat sugar I want to enjoy a treat!!!

What cookies are those??? I want to check 'em out!

Trader Joe's Chocolatey Cats, Cookies for People.
    They are more about the chocolate than about the sugar.
    The Ginger Cats are also awesome
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with what everyone else is saying on here. I have a few other suggestions if you fix the protein intake issues and still aren't losing:

1 - Get your thyroid checked. An under active thyroid can cause weight gain

2 - check your birth control. I used to be on the Marina and was constantly hungry no matter what. Came off of hormonal contraceptives and the appetite diminished.

3 - Lifestyle - Are you stressed? Stress will make you hold onto weight and being unhappy can effect your will power when it comes to making the right choices.

Lastly. Your body needs nutrients. If you're eating a diet high in calories but low in nutrients then it makes sense that your body may keep telling you to eat in the hope that it will receive some of the nutrients it's after. Try the apple test. When you're hungry grab an apple. If you don't want it then it's probably an emotional issue causing you to turn to fod.

Good luck!