belly issues

Options
So here is my problem area. I think it's a mix of some loose skin and a little fat. I'm not sure I have much weight I could still lose. I can wear a boy shorts bikini in public and this area is covered but I would love to confidently wear a bikini like this. For some background I have three kids, last one born in 2014. I lost 22 pounds last year from January to July and have been recomping since then. I do lift weights with progressive overload. I do some cardio including hiking and biking but nothing on a schedule. Will this improve with maintenance and recomp? Has anyone improved an issue like this without losing more weight?0oyp4mrfgy7e.jpg

Replies

• LadySyren
    LadySyren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Becca, you look great! I had four kids and my belly was the same as yours is now. When I had talked with my doctor about it, I was told that the only thing that will flatten that last little bit is surgery to remove the sagging skin. It's lost it's elasticity and really won't flatten out any more.
  • whitney_cherelle
    whitney_cherelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue...however I have just now begun to exercise. I had actually given up and decided to save for a tummy tuck...but I have put that thought on hold. My stomach is a lot bigger than yours, and even though some of mine is skin, I’m pretty sure that I have a lot of fat under there too. I’ve been doing measurements since I have begun working out, to see if what I’m doing is making a difference. Like everyone has said is does take time. You’re already ahead of me because you have consistently been exercising. This year is my first year at exercising, so I’m sure as long as I stay consistent I will see some results. As others have said...high waisted bottoms will probably do you some justice! Your tummy looks amazing! Keep on keeping on!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    You look amazing!!

I completely relate. Almost 43 yo and 3 kids here (youngest is over 5). I have diastis and a 3-finger gap to this day, and short of a tummy tuck, nothing will shrink it. I've tried recomp and leaning out - see pics below. (I am currently about 10 pounds over this now).

Agree with above: find a better cut of bikini that works for you so you feel as good as you look!

In these pics, you see me in low waisted yoga pants. They're actually folded down because I was taking pictures of the belly "poof" to monitor progress (sadly, none). What works for me is HIGH waisted yoga pants! The minute I put them on, I have "snug" coverage keeping me all tucked in - they typically go above my belly button, so the focus becomes the more defined upper ab area. The mushy lower middle vanishes, like magic. Suddenly, I look 10 pounds lighter and cut.

vdu2r1jcks8m.jpg

First of all, you look great! Can I ask what exercises you do or avoid due to your diastasis recti? I have that dreaded "dome belly", even though I'm fairly lean. I'm 5'2", ~112 at the moment. I had a twin pregnancy during which I topped out around 190lbs, so my belly got HUGE. I was also 42 at the time I delivered, so gravity + less elasticity = not a pretty picture. Now, no matter how lean I get, my belly still protrudes. I was lifting for a while, but it seems to make the belly protrusion worse. I'm fantasizing now about tummy tuck/abdominoplasty. :/
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    To all of you: Be proud, you achieved the "impossible" already ...
    The miracle of achieving "perfection" now is merely a question of time ...
  • carlywilkins14
    carlywilkins14 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish I looked like that. Be happy with your self I would be!
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options

[/quote]

First of all, you look great! Can I ask what exercises you do or avoid due to your diastasis recti? I have that dreaded "dome belly", even though I'm fairly lean. I'm 5'2", ~112 at the moment. I had a twin pregnancy during which I topped out around 190lbs, so my belly got HUGE. I was also 42 at the time I delivered, so gravity + less elasticity = not a pretty picture. Now, no matter how lean I get, my belly still protrudes. I was lifting for a while, but it seems to make the belly protrusion worse. I'm fantasizing now about tummy tuck/abdominoplasty. :/ [/quote]

Pilates - mat work and reformer, with proper form - helped, but honestly, short of surgery, I rely on higher waisted pants. My belly will always protrude.

I look smaller if I'm dieting and keeping food volume low.

The problem for me, mostly, is that I'm a healthy foods volume eater. And I exercise a lot, so I've got a generous daily allowance (~2250-2500 to maintain, sometimes as high as 3000). That's a lot of food in my belly! I pop out immediately.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have four childerbeasts and have been at my maintenance weight for almost 5 years now. I thankfully, somehow, dodged the loose skin issue. BUT I do have some stretch marks, cesarean scar, personal aversion to bikinis etc...
    My fix was to find a gorgeous, structured one piece (or tankini) that was both sexy and flattering. I can show off all my 'best' bits and camouflage the rest.
  • kell0606
    kell0606 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just my two cents: i've been in maintenance since september and i've been trying to wear a spanx tummy slimmer type thing most days, and i *think* its helped everything bounce back. now when i look in the mirror my stomach still isn't totally flat, but i don't have that pouch hanging down anymore. (i've been trying to lift weights too, but haven't been super disciplined about it.) good luck - i hope things continue to improve for you!!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just a glorified waist trainer? I think the way waist trainers work is that you stop wearing them and your waist returns to normal (assuming no calorie deficit in the meantime).