Male Staring at 50 and Getting Serious

Options
mrd23g1968
mrd23g1968 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Greetings :-) My name is Mike and I'm 49. I'm diabetic, 80 pounds overweight, have a family history of heart disease, HBP and cancer. I've been on a complete turnaround with my health habits since the end of December 2017. I've lost 10 pounds, my glucose levels have been consistently normal, exercise about 4 times a week doing cardio and strength training as well as using MFP to track my carb intake. I feel better than I have in a long time and plan on 2018 being the year of permanent formation of healthy habits. Any input and encouragement is welcome.

Replies

• Emerald_Warrior
    Emerald_Warrior Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great start; keep it up :)
  • Hockeydad1018
    Hockeydad1018 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike, great start. Keep it going. I have an almost identical story as yours, here to make a life change. Two months in and doing well. Just started to look through the boards for motivation and to hear other people's stories for motivation. Make this is your year.
  • Garnica2018
    Garnica2018 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new you!
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    good work and welcome to my fitness pal
  • hyded66
    hyded66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mike. Add me as friend and we'll cheer each other on!
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Keep in up.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was in similar situation year and half ago lost 100+ diabetes numbers are freaking awesome now, blood pressure medicine almost nothing and enjoying life again. Keep it up it's a slow and steady race but well worth your life.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking time to help yourself. Sounds like you have a solid plan.
  • joakim3
    joakim3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's 1 tip i can give you, stay consistent, if you fall off the wagon get back on it. It's so easy to quit or binge when you fail once but just keep consistent and results are inevitable, it will be extremely hard in a dip but if you can get back to it when you're at your lowest that's how you truly GET strong mentally and physiqally
  • illmadden
    illmadden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mike! Congrats on your life changes! Good luck to you!
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I've been doing this since January and down almost 15#. Like you...family history, plus I have HBP and cholesterol. Hoping to get those in control.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    You sound a bit like me. I was a obese couch potato until about 8 years ago. Both my parents died of an assortment of diseases and were sick for years before death. I finally decided to do something about my health and started to eat better, then added running, then gym workouts, etc. It's taken forever, but I now eat a plan based diet, run (have completed a 5k, 10k, 10 miler, and a half), do spin class several times a week, workout a the gym (stairmill, rowing, kettlebells, weight training) and make sure I walk and take the steps whenever possible. I've lost at least 70 lbs. since I started (about 23 more to go) and feel much better.
  • kellyw4444
    kellyw4444 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. I am also 49 and have decided that this is my year to make some permanent life changes to get healthy and stay healthy. I am aiming to lose 30-40 pounds and am already down 8 pounds after two months. I have a sign on my wall that says "Consistency beats intensity every time". Doesn't matter if I am feeling like moving my body or not, I am focused on putting in at least an hour of exercise every day, and it is working. I will send you a friend request - let's support each other on our journey to better health at 50!