Do you prefer cardio or strength training and why?

Options
13»

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love strength training. I use a variety of rep ranges. At this time I'm doing a four day upper/lower split. I enjoy riding my bike, hiking, swimming, dancing, and walking my dog. I dislike stationary cardio equipment. I usually do some yoga once or twice a week.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I joined MFP in September and started with cycling on a stationery bike for about 5 - 10 minutes a few times a week. A few months ago I learned that I should be incorporating strength training into my workout so I ordered some 4 kg dumbbells and an 8 kg kettlebell and began using them for about 10 -15 minutes followed by 5 minutes of cycling. I'm surprised to say that the strength training part of my workout is the more enjoyable part for me as it seems to pass the time quicker. I just got a mini trampoline yesterday, however, to switch up my cardio and try to make things more interesting and fun. I started using that this morning for 12 minutes to see if I felt any benefit from it and it certainly got my calves burning! I'll probably try to fit in 5 minutes of that between the lifting and cycling from now on. I don't do as much exercise as most other MFPers but I'm slowly working up my stamina.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I do both because that's what works best for overall strength and fitness BUT, if I had to choose just 1, I'd choose my preferred form of cardio - - erg rowing which (unlike other forms of cardio) provides an upper and lower body workout that provides some overall strength as well as aerobic benefits.
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Get fit any way you can!