Cutting out red meat...thoughts?

2»

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Sorry guys, I know I'm posting a lot haha. :) I've been thinking about cutting red meat out of my diet. I don't eat pork as it is (I like it and all, but I just don't really eat it) and I have the occasional steak, as it is my weakness, but I'm thinking about cutting it out entirely. No more hamburgers, meat in sauce with spaghetti, etc. Anyone else tried this? (Btw, my cholesterol is great, but it could stand to be a little lower.)

Once a week or so isn't bad for you. I usually have steak once a week, sometimes I'll use the leftovers for a salad for lunch, but I usually just buy the 8-10oz steak and eat it since it takes up a lot of my exercise calories.

I won't ever cut it out completely.

As with everything, moderation is key.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    I have been a vegetarian.....

I have since cut out all meat except for seafood.

Then you're not a vegetarian.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    If you don't like it don't eat it. However, if the only reason you aren't going to eat it is because you are concerned about cholesterol levels, I suggest you research the impact of dietary cholesterol on blood lipid levels. I think you may be surprised to see that there is no real connection between the two.

Good luck!
  • I CUT OUT MOST RED MEAT YEARS AGO... I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE I WAS DOING IT. I EAT MOSTLY CHICKEN TO THE POINT THAT I'M SUPPRISED I DON'T LAY EGGS LOL. I'LL STILL HAVE A HAMBURGER OR STEAK HERE AND THERE, AND BEING THAT I'M ITALIAN I WOULD NEVER MAKE SAUCE WITHOUT MEAT. PLUS YOU CAN ALWAYS INCORPORATE MORE VEGGIES OR EVEN FISH, I'D SAY PASTA BUT THAT TURNS INTO SUGAR AND PASTA IS MY DOWNFALL. WELL GOOD LUCK GOING MEATLESS (RED) AND ANOTHER FORM OF RED MEAT WITHOUT THE FAT IS VENISON AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT ITS REALLY GOOD. WELL ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK :)
  • i wont be eatting much red meat once i found out that 1 pound of 80% hamburger has over 100 grams of fat, that blew my mind!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    I have been a vegetarian.....

I have since cut out all meat except for seafood.

Then you're not a vegetarian.

Don't be mean. That's why she said she's technically a pescetarian. Thank you.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    I love red meat especially with beans and peppers in tomato passata.
    But I dont really buy minced meat if I want it minced I would pick a lean part and have it minced for me otherwise that would be like buying fat and that is a no thank you.
    If I could I would eat it 3 times a week minimum.
    Love that young beef!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    80% beef means that it's 20% fat and a 16 ounce portion of that mixture will be 16 x 0.2 = 3.2 oz of fat and that's 28*3.2 = 89.6 grams of fat (close enough to 100).

That's not a problem with "hamburger having too much fat" - that's 'cause you had hamburger that had a lot of fat mixed in with it.

And that's an entire pound of hamburger. Even when I was eating a lot (when I was in the Army) I wouldn't eat more than a triple at Wendy's so an entire pound of hamburger is a hell of a lot of food.

If you want to eat hamburger but don't want that much fat, get hamburger that's more lean. I buy 12% hamburger but I've also seen 5% fat.

if tell your butcher grind up some chuck with no fat and you'll have really lean burgers. But they'll taste pretty bland 'cause fat is one of the sources of taste in beef.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    If you have any in your freezer I'd be willing to let you send it to me. Just trying to be helpful and all! ;)
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    I am the opposite; I am trying to eat more due to low iron. But I gravitate more toward vegetarian proteins, chicken, and fish, so it has taken some adjusting. I am starting to acquire a taste for it.

Sorry to hijack! ;)
  • 80% beef means that it's 20% fat and a 16 ounce portion of that mixture will be 16 x 0.2 = 3.2 oz of fat and that's 28*3.2 = 89.6 grams of fat (close enough to 100).

That's not a problem with "hamburger having too much fat" - that's 'cause you had hamburger that had a lot of fat mixed in with it.

And that's an entire pound of hamburger. Even when I was eating a lot (when I was in the Army) I wouldn't eat more than a triple at Wendy's so an entire pound of hamburger is a hell of a lot of food.

If you want to eat hamburger but don't want that much fat, get hamburger that's more lean. I buy 12% hamburger but I've also seen 5% fat.

if tell your butcher grind up some chuck with no fat and you'll have really lean burgers. But they'll taste pretty bland 'cause fat is one of the sources of taste in beef.

ya i wouldnt dream of eating a whole lb of hamburger lol, just never imagined it was that bad i suppose! I dont generally like a lot of meat and burgers arent my fav, i use it more as a filler in casseroles and etc. but chicken will be a good substitute!
  • If you have any in your freezer I'd be willing to let you send it to me. Just trying to be helpful and all! ;)

i do actually have 10 lb's in my freezer! i think i will just give it to my parents lol
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    I don't eat much red meat at all,I have a steak maybe once a month and a burger every couple months if I am craving it (sometimes I feel as if I am low on iron I crave red meat). Ground beef upsets my tummy a good bit of the time, especially in taco meat or spaghetti sauce.

I'm not really much of a meat eater. I can go a whole day without eating meat and not feel deprived. I enjoy other protein sources (beans, eggs and nuts) much more.