Am I undereating? I'm confused about the app's calorie goal in relation to my exercise routine.

bonniephobia
bonniephobia Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Due to university workload I quit training for a year and a half and just got back into it. I've always been used to exercising and I have never been this fat. My weight gain was a combination of depression and overeating. Though I didn't overeat junk food, I just overate healthy foods because of anxiety and did not exercise at all, because I didn't have time for it.

My diet always consisted of veggies, grains, fruits and lean meat. I don't really have a problem with food.

I set a goal for myself to drop from 77kgs to 53kgs in 10 months. I know that I'm aiming high and it's probably not going to be possible, I might get to 63kgs in that time frame, but I want to see it through and push myself. I've already dropped 1kg in 8 days and I am currently at 76kgs.

My current BMI is 26.6, my goal BMI is 18.6.

My BMR (basic metabolic rate) is 1525 and my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 3087.

So if I need to eat 20% less calories than my TDEE, that would make it 2,469 calories. However, myfitnesspal is telling me to eat 1340 calories a day.

I do cardio for 45 to 60 minutes Mon-Sat and not more than that, to prevent my body from burning muscle.

I lift 6x a week, do Yoga for 60min 3x a week, Pilates for 30min 3x a week, do Spinning (stationary bicycle) for 60min 2x week, Run for 45min 4x a week and do crossfit training for 90min 1x a week.

Though I have been eating around the amount of calories the app recommends, considering the amount of exercise I do, I'm worried that I might be undereating. I don't feel the need to eat more, but I don't want to wake up one day and out of nowhere overeat because my body thinks I'm starving and I'm not noticing it.

So according to all the information given, do you guys think I'm undereating? Should I change my calorie goal or is it fine the way it is and I'm just paranoid?

Replies

• bonniephobia
    MFP uses NEAT calculation which doesn't include your exercise, TDEE includes exercise.

Use one or the other, if you use MFP log your exercise and eat your calories back. If you use TDEE set your calories manually. Review your weight after 4-6 weeks for real world results and adjust accordingly

So even if you log in the exercises you've been doing it will not deduct from your calorie intake?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    For which method?

If you are using MFP your calorie allowance does not include any allowance for exercise so it will increase your requirements accordingly when you log them or sync them from your device.

If you are using TDEE you wouldn't log the exercises or if you wanted to log them for info's sake you would just amend the calories burned to 0/1.

8vjd6g4ibfr1.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    MFP uses NEAT calculation which doesn't include your exercise, TDEE includes exercise.

Use one or the other, if you use MFP log your exercise and eat your calories back. If you use TDEE set your calories manually. Review your weight after 4-6 weeks for real world results and adjust accordingly

So even if you log in the exercises you've been doing it will not deduct from your calorie intake?

It will give you extra calories to eat on top of what it budgeted for you. So, if it wants you to eat 1340 calories and you add 1000 calories of exercise (that's a LOT of exercise) it would tell you that you can eat 2340 calories.

Keep in mind that activity level is anything outside of your exercise, so if you have it set as active but you are not really that active outside of exercise, then the results may not be accurate.

Alternatively, if you are 100% sure that you are averaging that much of a burn and want to go for 2469 calories, you can manually adjust the calorie amount to that and eat it, but without logging exercise because it would already be accounted for.
  • bonniephobia
    edited February 2018
    For which method?

I was referring to MFP.

Thank you so much :)

• bonniephobia
    edited February 2018

Alternatively, if you are 100% sure that you are averaging that much of a burn and want to go for 2469 calories, you can manually adjust the calorie amount to that and eat it, but without logging exercise because it would already be accounted for.

Not at all haha I honestly don't think I can eat that much unless I start chugging honey out of a jar, but I was thinking more around the lines of 1500 calories a day, instead of 1340. I was kind of worried a minor change like that would set me back two weeks.
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member
    Sorry to hijack this thread but a similar question on this theme...

You enter all your details on MFP - your height, weight, goals etc... You want to lose 1lb per week so MFP gives you the calories you need to stick within. If MFP give you 1400 calories to eat for the day and you do exercise and burn 300 calories, you should be eating up to 1550 calories. I understand that part - if you do that, then you lose the weight you have set within the goal settings.

However, what happens if you only eat 1100 calories on some days, or 1250 calories for example? Do you potentially lose more weight? Providing you stick within the 1400 goal.

Or would it have a negative impact?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

You enter all your details on MFP - your height, weight, goals etc... You want to lose 1lb per week so MFP gives you the calories you need to stick within. If MFP give you 1400 calories to eat for the day and you do exercise and burn 300 calories, you should be eating up to 1550 calories. I understand that part - if you do that, then you lose the weight you have set within the goal settings.

However, what happens if you only eat 1100 calories on some days, or 1250 calories for example? Do you potentially lose more weight? Providing you stick within the 1400 goal.

You lose more weight, but fat is not lost as efficiently (more muscle loss and more down regulation in metabolism although you do lose faster) and you can potentially mess up your hormones, not to mention you might be setting yourself up for a binge.
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member

You lose more weight, but fat is not lost as efficiently (more muscle loss and more down regulation in metabolism although you do lose faster) and you can potentially mess up your hormones, not to mention you might be setting yourself up for a binge.

So if you are happy with the 1lb a week loss, then try and eat your calorie goal each day/week and up to 50% of your exercise calories? Thanks, that's really helpful. I find myself eating to hit the 1400 goal but I have noticed I am trying to hit it with snacks - I look at my MFP after dinner and feel I have 300-400 calories left and I normally have treats or snacks to tick the boxes, whereas maybe I should pre-plan what snack I will have in the evening, say a 100 calorie chocolate treat and then try and build the 'spare' calories into my other meals - maybe more protein or carbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Cardio doesn't 'burn more muscle'. Not sure where you got that idea from... Having a deficit too big is more likely to (that's why your aggressive deficit might not be a good idea).
  • expectingchaos
    expectingchaos Posts: 1 Member
    So I’m gonna piggy back off this question.

I definitely used the mistake of inputting my TDEE which I got my my Apple Watch/heart rate monitor total daily burn on an average day which includes an intentional 30-45min brisk walk. I then did a 20% deficit to decide my daily calorie goal.

I do want to track my exercise in MFP (it’s synced to my Apple Watch) so I’m assuming I need to:
    1) Change my goal to my daily burn - minus exercise (NEAT?) & eat calories back
    2) Keep as is, but don’t eat the calories since they’re already accounted for

Do I have that right? What is the best way to figure out how many calories I burn without my intentional exercise? I know I can use MFP, just not sure if that will line up with what I know I’m burning?

Still very new to all this.
    Thanks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited March 2018
    Wow! Ok.

First of all piggy back questions are best addressed in their own threads.

Secondly: based on your table of exercises you better believe you better be eating a whole whack more than 1300 or 1500.

Straight to your question: MFP expects you to eat every single net calorie you spend on anything that is not already accounted for in the activity level you have selected for yourself.

This is because your eating goal is based on you achieving your selected weigh loss results without engaging in any more activity than what your selected level includes.

Now. You've done a couple of things right and a couple of things that are... questionable.

Done right: tdee -20% especially with you being near normal weight this is just about the maximum you can expect will give you reasonable results at the least lean mass and hormonal cost. In fact somewhere within the normal range you may find that you have to move at tdee - 15% or tdee -10% pace to minimize impact on lean mass and avoid excess downregulation.

Done questionably: 10 month time limit to achieve x results.

Eating tdee minus 20% till you get to say BMI 24, then tdee -15% till BMI 23, then tdee-10% are goals that make sense. These are things you can directly influence and valid goals.

Unless you are planning to expire your 10 month limit is irrelevant to your health and a potential hindrance to your long term efforts since it may force suboptimal decisions today.

Done questionably: choice of BMI 18.6 as your weight target!

Are you one of the people who seems to think that because the normal BMI range extends from 18.5 to 24.9 this means that any single individual can throw a dart within the normal BMI range and call it "oh this is the perfect BMI for me"?

The normal BMI range says that if out of every 1000000 people in the normal range n% will get sick, 1.x n% people will get sick in the obese weight range and 1.y n% people will get sick in the underweight range.

And since n is smaller than 1.z n%, that's a good range to find oneself in.

Mainly because most people in the range have a fat % that is... normal in terms of their health.

How are you deciding that BMI 18.6 is for you? Based on what weight you were in high school? Because lower is better? Why 18.6 and not 23? Or 24.9 but built and shredded?

So the reframing you may want to consider is that you have gained both fat and lean mass as you unintentionally bulked without exercise.

True. The ratio was suboptimal because you just over ate.

But don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

You're barely overweight and I bet you that if you engage in some basic cardio (which is good for you) and a good whole body progressive resistance strength program you may find that the extra fat disappears and your muscles show through while you feel strong.... without reducing everything to BMI 18.

However this requires actually keeping to the deficits you stated (TDEE-20%) and possibly less down the road.

You on the other hand are embarking on tdee - 50%. Because if your TDEE is 3k.... what does eating 1500 mean?

You know what is ironic? Ancel Keys' Minnesota semi starvation experiment specifically took people at or near the normal weight range, fed them on average 1570 Cal, and by ensuring that their tdee was double that, at just over 3000 Cal, run them into the ground. In six months. With ED ideations well before they got to be underweight.

While many people on mfp, in their overzealousness to lose weight, unintentionally try to duplicate his results, they usually do so from a position of having additional fat reserves. They often start in the obese weight range, while you're starting barely in the overweight range.

It's been a while since I have seen starting parameters that are so closely matched to the experiment. So I would say..... that's probably a bad rabbit hole to explore :frowning:

Keep to your stated deficits. Not double.

And use a trending weight app or web site to gauge your progress but also pictures and measurements!