Man boobs!

Options
Anybody know any good exercises that would target this? I have a bowflex, I do bench press and chest fly, would like to add to this. Been working out for a few weeks, waist has slimmed, making my boobs look a little big, sorry not finding them very nice, would like to eliminate them!

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Losing any excess flab is the only way I've found makes mine better.

I've come to terms with worst case scenario - they're here to stay. They say they disappear as you grow into adulthood... I'm turning 22 in a few weeks and still have them to a degree - mind you, much less prevalent than they used to be, but that's due to the weight loss, not because I did any special exercises to target them or grew out of them.

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce or "target" specific areas.
    Get your body fat % low enough and they will go away (given that your starting point wasn't big enough to give you too much excess skin).

Few weeks is nothing, it takes months to see real results.
    Eat in a moderate calorie deficit, make sure you get enough (but not too much) protein and lift heavy weights, that helps minimize muscle loss.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Keep working at reducing your excess fat reserves and they too will shrink!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it! If it's just fat, it will come off eventually. If it's breast tissue, it won't go away as much (a condition called gynecomastia). Look into it with your doctor if concerned.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lose the fat and do BPs, pushups and dips to build up your pecs so that you will be able to see the diff as soon as the fat is gone.
  • trenicholls
    trenicholls Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I've learned something new! I'll just keep on keeping on then, the fat is burning away so I guess I'm on the right track!
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cosmetic surgery.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cosmetic surgery.

Just... NO.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    His name is Robert Paulson....
  • dmankruoss
    dmankruoss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight. Having low body fat helped my chest look a lot better. You should see a doctor to rule out gynecomastia. If it truly is gyno, the only option would be surgery.
  • trenicholls
    Options
    No it's just fat in my case, it is not major, just wanted to see if I could work at it a little harder and add to my exercise program, it's just going to take that for me, appreciate all replies thanks again!
  • trenicholls
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Anybody know any good exercises that would target this? I have a bowflex, I do bench press and chest fly, would like to add to this. Been working out for a few weeks, waist has slimmed, making my boobs look a little big, sorry not finding them very nice, would like to eliminate them!
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

You lose fat by eating less than you burn. Exercise doesn't directly target fat and spot reduction isn't possible. Fat is inert, has no contractile properties, and can't be exercised.

Haha, took me a little bit to get this, yes I'm on a strict diet, and I know the weight training isn't for weight loss, but didn't realise you couldn't target specific fat areas, thanks. I almost googled what table pushaways were then the light turned on.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said you will need to lose more weight. On top of thag keep training your chest. With bigger pecs underneath the "boob" will be pushed up which will make it less noticeble. Bench press and flies are a good way to start. To this I would add:

- Dips
    - Pushups
    - Incline (pec minor) and decline (pec major)
    bench press
    - Incline bench cable fly

How much it will go away depends on genetics and what the begin situation is.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    They will minimize as you keep losing.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    No it's just fat in my case, it is not major, just wanted to see if I could work at it a little harder and add to my exercise program, it's just going to take that for me, appreciate all replies thanks again!

@trenicholls. I'd like to emphasise what most have said in reducing body fat.

My "man boobs" were annoying at 30% BF (90kg - 200lbs), and gone completely when 9% BF (65kg - 145lbs). I'm 49 and 5"9'.

No gym, just changing what I normally eat, walking, and bodyweight exercises (pushups, pull-ups, plank, etc...). Took 6 months in total to drop the weight. As I changed my eating patterns and my regular activity level the weight has not come back. Been round 145 lbs +/- 4 lbs for 5 months now. I feel great.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds so far with hopes to get rid of mine and they didn't shrink at all. Everybody online kept telling me "You don't have gyno, everyone that's fat just thinks they do". I listened, kept losing weight, and nothing. Finally went to the doctor and I do have gyno, lol.

If you are at a lowish body fat % and still have them, you may have gyno which can only be removed by surgery. I'd suggest getting a quick checkup before you go crazy trying to get rid of them. Building muscle behind the "gyno glands" only makes them stick out more.

Hopefully what you have is just leftover fat. To get rid of those, you must lose weight via calorie deficiency.