Hypothyroid Macros

Options
If you are hypothyroid, what works for you with your Macros? I’m trying to decide what’s best for me.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are no special macros for being hypothyroid - if you are correctly medicated then losing weight is. I different to anyone else

Aim .8-1g per lean muscle goal; .4-.6g fat and let carbs fall where they fall
  • nurseheathero71
    nurseheathero71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve actually been trying to research this same topic this morning. I’m not finding much as far as macros are concerned. The studies suggest adding/avoiding certain foods. For example iodine helps the thyroid- eat more fish for their iodine/sodium content; gluten can interfere with absorption of thyroid necessary elements, limit gluten containing foods. They also suggest avoiding soy products. I’m moving my research to nursing journals and best practice information. Will keep you posted with anything useful!
  • Pixieofmidnight
    Pixieofmidnight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Following. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no objective evidence to suggest that one macro split is superior to another regarding thyroid disorder. Follow the macro split most beneficial to your work out goals - endurance, strength, weight loss, weight gain, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start from the assumption that normal macros and food choices will work. If you follow a solid process (log food carefully & consistently, stick to a sensible calorie deficit), you'll know in about 6 weeks whether it's working, and it's not, cutting calories just a bit would be the first adjustment.

I'm quite severely hypothyroid (well managed on synthroid) and lost 50+ pounds (nearly a third of my body weight) in just less than a year at age 59-60, just striving for normal healthy macros/micros using foods I like . . . so exotic strategies are not universally required to lose weight while hypothyroid.

In case it helps, this describes pretty much what I did, including the macro settings:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm
  • dmankruoss
    dmankruoss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Normal macros should work for you. Get your numbers dialed in and the weight should come off. After I got my numbers in range I was losing 1-2lbs a week.