Squats? or no squats? that is the question...

Options
labridge71488
labridge71488 Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, 29yoF here -

I’ve had three knee surgeries. Two on my left, one on my right, both ACL reconstructions and arthroscopy. My left knee is severely worse than my right with osteoarthritis and other joint pain that comes with bones rubbing.

My question is, should I do squats?

My legs(calves and thighs) are incredibly out of shape and fatty. All of my “weight” is below my waist due to these injuries. I don’t want to further damage my joints but I need to find an effective way to lose the weight and tone in that area.

I know there is no such thing as target weight loss in one specific areas as my body will lose wherever it wants to lose weight on its own damn schedule.

My knees don’t really hurt me unless I do long spurts of cardio, running, or being on them(get your mind out of the gutter).

I need to build up strength and stability but I need to find a way to incorporate effective strength trainng leg exercises into my 1.5 hour whole body workout.

Everyone suggests squatting but I’m worried what the long term effect may do to my knees. The left knee has no L/M meniscus or cartilage left.

Thoughts or ideas are welcome

*Note: I am choosing not to incorporate cardio into my workout at this time. I don’t want to set myself up for failure by doing something I know I won’t continue to do for the rest of my life.

Replies

• ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of speaking to a physical therapist to avoid re-injury or aggravating something needlessly. Perhaps a couple of sessions to help you build a fitness routine that won't stress your knees.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    does it hurt when you do squats? i had acl reconstruction and arthroscopy and i squat just fine. If your dr says its ok to squat get a good trainer and nail your form down and that will save your knees. Most drs dont advise low rep high weight squats, they recommend high rep low weight. I squat very heavy low rep just fine. I would never do high rep squats, that would blow my knees out for sure.

Also, be aware that squatting isn't gonna help with weight loss in that area, weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not from squatting.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight in a certain area by doing a specific exercise. Squats won't help you lose fat on your legs. That's what your calorie deficit is for. A "toned" look comes from reducing fat and maintaining muscle mass. There are plenty of ways to work your legs without squatting.

Also, ask a physical therapist. Just posting to let you know you will lose fat on your legs as you lose weight, you do not need to squat to do it, and squats won't reduce fat.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    there is so many exercises are alternatives to squat, working on the same muscles as squat, and for people who have injury. Google or YouTube it and if u didn't find it send me
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve had torn MCLs in both knees and now have osteoarthritis in one of them. I do modified squats. You can look up Steve Maxwell on YouTube, he has a video on Amosov squat that I find helpful. Also Jessica Smith has a lot of exercises for people with bad knees that are free on Youtube. I’m sure you can find something you like. Good luck.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ask the surgeon, he's the only one that knows exactly what your dealing with.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you can sit on a toilet and walk unassisted, you can squat in almost all cases.

I would ask the surgeon as suggested for advice.

I wouldn't ask any doctor or physical therapist who doesn't have experience with barbell training. Most of them have no clue of the benefits and will hold you back of what is actual needed.

I coached a guy for just over a year now with nearly the identical knee issues. He entered his first powerlifting meet a few months ago and squatted just over 470lbs at 243lbs body weight.

Get qualified individuals that understand not only what your body needs, but what will prevent further damage and things will be fine. Form and knowledge will be the key.