Holy HRM!

I just used my new Timex HRM (recommended by a MFP friend) for the first time this morning. The calories that my treadmill told me I burned during that 30 minute workout were significantly lower than what my HRM said. I knew the treadmill was only giving an estimate, but the difference is huge. I am so happy I finally invested the money. Everyone should have one.

Replies

• erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    told ya!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    What were the numbers?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    same thing happened with mine! Gotta love... or hate... it LOL
  • What model did you get?
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    I'm on my way to buy one right now!
  • HRM's are our best friend, esp since tradmills ,cycles and such actually tell you more calories than you actually burn,supposed to be for motivation ,but just cruel if you ask me .
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    I love my HRM. My treadmill/bike said I had burnt a lot more than what my HRM said, so now I need to work extra hard!!
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    I bought a Timex T5G971 (per erinhale's recommendation). My typical 30 minute morning jaunt on the treadmill used to earn me 170 calories. Today my HRM reported 320 calories burned.

Do most people find more or less calories calculated by their HRM than their machine reports?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I just used my new Timex HRM (recommended by a MFP friend) for the first time this morning. The calories that my treadmill told me I burned during that 30 minute workout were significantly lower than what my HRM said. I knew the treadmill was only giving an estimate, but the difference is huge. I am so happy I finally invested the money. Everyone should have one.

From what I have found and heard from others is that the Timex HRMs tend to over estimate your burn. Most HRM's will tell you that you burned less than the machine. If your results show a higher burn than MFP and/or the machine I would be weary of the results.

Maybe borrow a different brand and do the same exercise to see how much you burn, then compare it to your Timex
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I bought a Timex T5G971 (per erinhale's recommendation). My typical 30 minute morning jaunt on the treadmill used to earn me 170 calories. Today my HRM reported 320 calories burned.

Do most people find more or less calories calculated by their HRM than their machine reports?

Most people find the HRMs to be much lower than the machines or MFPs estimates. Bur those are usually users of Polar and/or Garmin HRMs, the 2 most reliable brands (in my opinion)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member

Mines over. MFP tells me like 300/hour of aerobic dance, mine is 600. Timex here too. Maybe eric is right? Dunno, hasnt caused me a problemo yet! As for a machine, just depends on the machine. Most ellipticals are pretty close once I add resistance. Treadmills can either be under or pretty close too. One thing I wish they all could take into account is your body comp.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

Mines over. MFP tells me like 300/hour of aerobic dance, mine is 600. Timex here too. Maybe eric is right? Dunno, hasnt caused me a problemo yet! As for a machine, just depends on the machine. Most ellipticals are pretty close once I add resistance. Treadmills can either be under or pretty close too. One thing I wish they all could take into account is your body comp.

Eric is right! That TImex HRM is an absolute piece of garbage and heres why. It only lets you enter your weight, max heart rate and lower heart rate. For a true accurate estimation of calories burned you need to be able to enter in age, weight, gender, height and Vo2Max is thats an option(which Timex does not allow you to do on any model!).

I'd personally return them and invest in a Polar.. thats what I did and I'm much more satisfied.
  • yay!!! Glad you got one finally and love it!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    So which model Polar do you guys prefer?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    So which model Polar do you guys prefer?

Polar FT4 or FT7 is the most popular on here. I have the FT7 and I love it.. Easy to use/set up, and the strap is really comfortable. It really depends on what your price range is.. the FT4 is a little bit cheaper then the FT7, so thats why more go for the FT4 over the FT7.