Eating at Night - Yes/No/Maybe So??

Options
Ok, so here's where my problem lies: I've heard/read that you shouldn't eat after dinner or later than 7pm, 8pm and other various times because your body's metabolism slows down and you won't burn that food off and it'll tend to get stored thus resulting in weight gain or, at best, stalling your weight loss effort.

But, without fail, I am always sooooo hungry around 10 o'clock every night. I make dinner for my family around 6pm. I always make something healthy and filling. Usually fish or some other lean protein, brown rice or rice pasta and two or three kinds of fresh vegetables. I portion out my plate and I'm full after dinner. But. . . . . . . no matter what, I am always hungry enough by ten or so that I'm ready to ravage the cabinets, especially for the snacks and desserts set aside for the kids.

Even when I eat something late, I NEVER go over my calorie goal for the day. I eat decent snacks and have not given into the temptation to gobble up the naughty stuff. But since it's been said that one should not eat late at night, what do I do? Any suggestions guys? If it's just a terrible thing, I'll suck it up and not eat when my 10 o'clock cravings hit me but if I'm not causing hiccups in my weight loss and I continue to eat well and exercise daily, is this one little indiscretion permitted?

I need some feedback. What do you think? Thanks in advance everyone! MFP pals are always great!

Replies

• JeanWalker109
    Options
    I've heard health professionals say, recently, that calories are calories. It doesn't necessarily matter what TIME of day you're eating them. Logically, that makes sense; but I don't know all the mechanics of digestion, etc. - that might change that thought. If you've been eating this way, are you still able to accomplish what you want to accomplish for the week? Meaning, if you're trying to lose weight and you've been eating after 7pm, are you still losing weight, or are you having a problem losing? If you're able to achieve what you want, all the while eating at night...I say don't change what's broken. However, if you're having problems achieving what you've set out to do, then you may want to look at adjusting something.

I hope you find a good balance. I wish you well.

*smiles*

Jean
  • abow29
    abow29 Posts: 14
    Options
    To be honest, I have the same problem: I LOVE to snack at night, especially around 9 or 10 pm. I go for healthy snacks (fruit/yogurt/etc), but I have heard mixed views on this.

My mom, who is a nurse practitioner back in Romania, always tells her patients that want to lose weight to stop eating at least 3 hours before going to bed, no matter what. So I guess if you are active around the house for another couple of hours after having the snack, it's perfectly OK to eat it later.

I've been able to lose weight despite snacking so late, but I wonder if I would have been able to lose more had I abstained from snacking.....
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Are you active after your family supper?

I have a snack after work and then I am off to the gym usually until just before 10pm. When I get home I am ready to gnaw an arm off! I try to have some protein when I get home. An omlette, cheese, lean meat etc. In addition I try to avoid late evening carbs (bread, potatoes, etc)

Although I have also heard that eating late in the evening is not ideal. I have been doing well with my weight loss. I am keeping fairly close to my 1500 calorie/day target. And, my exercise routine could be considered strenuous.

As I am seeing the roughly 2 lbs per week weight lose that MFP predicted I am going to continue with my regime. If I hit a plateau for any extended period of time I will look at mixing it up to see what happens.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe the reason you are hungry later in the evening is because you dont get up to your calorie goal?
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The don't eat after 7 rule came about as a tool to help weight loss, not because of any physiological reasons. EVERYONE gets hungry at night, but if you don't eat, then you'll probably be under your calories for the day. Thats the ONLY reason people say that.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The "don't eat in the evening" rule is bullocks. Your metabolism doesn't change. Most of your calories are burned through your body's daily processes (which occur when you sleep too!) and not through exercise. These processes occur all of the time and thus time of day doesn't matter
  • Bella7810
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback guys! Yes, I have been able to maintain my weight. I want to lose a few more pounds still. Yes I stay active after dinner. usually finish house chores and do something outside like bike riding or playing frisbee with the kids. I usually don't even come close to my calorie goal for the day because I burn plenty through activity and exercise. I've hit a plateau though and I'm worried that maybe my snacks are the culprit. It's sooooo flippin' hard to ignore feeling hungry though! It's like all the stuff I like literally calls me into the kitchen.

I'll do some more research and see if maybe switching the snacks to something else or throwing in an extra 10 or 15 mins of working out will help. Again, thanks for the replies. You guys are the best!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It could be that, being under your calorie goal, you are actually not getting enough calories and that is why you are not losing currently? Try eating your calories, even at night, for a week and see what it does. Just a thought...
  • Thurine
    Thurine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me it's more of a routine thing to eat after the boys go to bed. Try as I might, I can't stop snacking around 8pm. I save some calories for that part of the day. To me, as long as I'm eating within my calorie budget then I will snack at night. I don't see anything wrong with it.