How to start

Options
Hi thanks for any info in advanced ;) I know it sounds simple download the app and start logging . but there is always that voice "start tomorrow wait to Monday" even family members and friends giving advice put me off and I'm like I'll do it for me not them , then I put it of and of until I feel like I'm not being bullyied into it , but the day to start never comes :s:s any help or input is very very welcomes , thanks for r
eading my rant . B)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Don’t listen to the naysayers! Welcome to MFP!

https://youtu.be/10DQeSk1LaY
  • F4Tdestroyer
    F4Tdestroyer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You logged in, now log what you eat. You don't even need to change anything today, except measuring and logging what you eat. It will be an eye opener.
  • F4Tdestroyer
    Options
    o:)o:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just start. Ponder if you're a small change guy or a big change guy and make some changes. Regardless, just start.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    When I started it was the middle of a day. I just said ... that's it ... I'm starting right now! And the start I made was to eat less at the next meal, and skip an evening snack. Then the next day I started writing down what I ate ... then I found an online site and started logging food there ... but switched to MFP when I found it because the logging was easier to do. So ... to get off myself and back to you ...
    ... the way you start is just to start. Nothing big and dramatic, not even anything anybody else has to know anything about but you. It could even be as simple as saying no to just 1 something that you eat daily which is non-nutritive and calorie dense.
  • F4Tdestroyer
    Options
    Thanks for the replys
  • F4Tdestroyer
    Options
    o:)
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I restarted on a Tuesday. And have just made myself log it all, every day , as I am making my meals. I figure that it takes 21 days to establish a habit, and the day on which you start doesn't really matter.

Just bite the bullet and do it. Even if you end up exceeding your calorie goal that day. At least you will be down to 20 days to make it a habit!
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just start. Log your food and exercise. Look for patterns. Keep logging. make adjustments as you can, add exercise when you can. Just get in the habit of logging accurately and consistently. You will learn a LOT from the process.
  • Nama_Slay
    Nama_Slay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm day 2 on here! Day by day! You got this!
  • F4Tdestroyer
    Options
    B)
  • F4Tdestroyer
    Options
    >:)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Start small. I logged for a few weeks at first, no diet changes. Just get in the habit of tracking what you eat and logging. When you’re ready, buy a food scale so you can weigh and track more accurately if you want.

Make small changes based on what patterns you’re seeing. Drop your calories by a couple hundred at a time. Adjust your macros if you find you’re craving foods at times (upping protein can help with satiety, for instance).

Look at the long-term goal— is your goal to lose weight, or is it really to keep that weight off life-long? If the latter, there’s no race, so make small and sustainable adjustments that you can continue life-long.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone anything about what I was doing, that way I wouldn't end up with unwanted opinions. I started logging for myself and then gradually started buying different groceries. You need to start for you and whatever your motivation is. My current motivation is getting in shape for my 50th birthday this year and my daughters wedding next year. Good Luck, the first step is always the hardest.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just start today. Don't let anyone put you off.
    Starting logging everything you eat consistently, stay within the calories given consistently and you will lose. It takes time but its so worth it.

All the best.