Retail health

I am a ASM for a major retailor. I very rarely have the same schedule day to day. I work 12-13 hours a day and am always very tired after work. I’m trying to be more active and eat healthier, but struggle. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    If you are on your feet for that many hours a day, you already have a very active lifestyle. Have you entered your stats in MFP yet? Just spend some time logging, set (presumably) for a higher activity level, and you can see how you are doing with your total calorie consumption, take a look at your overall diet, and start tweaking it toward healthier choices a little at a time to meet both your calorie goals and your health goals. If you have extra time to get out and bike, hike or walk or something fun on your days off, that is always nice too, but give yourself credit for what you are already doing.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I've been in those shoes and with a whacky schedule and all those hours it's hard to be motivated to do anything after work! I'm not sure how much running around you do at your store. I'm guessing it's a lot. But maybe you could find ways to tweak how much activity you're getting while at work? We used to go out to into the mall to just walk around sometimes if there was a manager or lead to cover the break. Maybe sneak into your office from time to time and do a few jumping jacks? If you're not sure how active you are, get a pedometer to record your steps. Then, maybe you can get a ballpark guess about your activity level and set your calories accordingly? Otherwise and the poster above me said, try something on your days off that's both enjoyable and active such as a nice walk.
  • larochelle9120
    larochelle9120 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you for your responses. So after work to ramp up the activity level (I’m roughly doing about 11,000-15,000 steps a day depending on the day.) I’ve gone to running and weight lifting. I am tracking my calories, but since I’ve been working out, I can tell you I’m exhausted. I do however feel less sluggish at work. I think my body might be just getting used to the new change.
  • French_Peasant
    That's the average number of steps I get in a day (although I consider myself only lightly active, as I have an office job). Pay attention to whether you continue to be exhausted--you need to be fueling your body appropriately for a higher level of exercise, and you also need some time to rest so you are not constantly driving yourself. You just really have to play around till you reach a point where you are satiated, energized, AND meeting your calorie and nutritional goals.

Especially for lifting, make sure you are progressing on the weights (bumping them up as you master a smaller weight for a particular lift) and make sure you are getting adequate protein, generally recommended as .8 g per bodyweight. You haven't said much about your nutritional goals, but in general you also need to ensure you are getting a minimal amount of fat. One of the very best things I have done health-wise is ensuring that I get 7+ servings of fruit and veg every day, ideally 10+ servings. You may already know all of this but it is worth repeating. :)

• larochelle9120
    Thank you. I appreciate any advice. I don’t know a lot about health vs. not healthy because there are so many general guidelines and myths out there that it’s hard to get to what fits me. I have a very high stress job where there are days I just leave the store exhausted from the emotional energy that I can’t tell the difference from when I am physically tired and when I’m emotionally tired. I do have to say though, when I say I’m exhausted and still muster the energy for the gym; I always feel better for going. I also have notice my moods have been better getting more active. I just can’t seem to get the nutrition part correct to keep up. I’m hungry a lot.
  • French_Peasant
    Nutrition wise, as long as you don’t have any special needs or intolerances, it is hard to go wrong with lean proteins like chicken breast, fish, pork tenderloin, etc., whole grains like oatmeal, eggs and dairy like greek yogurt or cottage cheese, and plenty of fruit and veg (as stated above, 7+ servings). You need to experiment with what makes you full, which you will learn over time as you log. Protein, fat and/or fiber are very satiating to many people. For me, I am completely full on a grilled chicken breast, a heaping serving of romaine, and some balsamic vinaigrette. Since I am highly active I also manage to fit in plenty of carbs, including sugar, but while it is great for fueling a workout carbs don’t keep me that full. It’s just a matter of listening to your body, tightening up your habits a little at a time, and not beating yourself up if you don’t hit your goals on a particular day. Just try to hit them on most days. :) Do you have a particular calorie goal you are aiming for?

If you are stressed, something else you might consider as an activity is yoga. It won’t be a huge calorie burn unless you do the very aggressive types, but it can be very calming while burning enough calories to fit in a Greek yogurt and some honey. I have been very stressed recently and doing some yoga and breathing helps me a lot. Of course, so does a good round of deadlifts. B)
  • larochelle9120
    Right now, I’m sticking with 1600 calories trying to do 3 to 400 cal. for meals and snacks in between. Plus on cheat day, but I’ve been working out doing cardio every other day with weight lifting. I haven’t gotten too aggressive with the weight lifting yet, but right now just getting my body used to the workouts. I’m trying not to over due it, because it will discourage me from going to the gym.
    Nutrition, I am trying to figure out what makes me full for the longest and I’m finding the lean protein does the trick for up to four to five hours then I’m hungry again. So I have been taking a lot of snacks with me like carrots, almonds, yogurts help curb the cravings.
    The thing I know I miss the most is the late night carb/sugar fest I used to have right before bed. I find myself hungry for no reason as I’m lying in bed ready for sleep. Do you have those types of cravings?
  • larochelle9120
    Ps. I love the broken French angora in your photo. My mother used be a professional rabbit judge and those were always my favorites when I was a kid.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Sounds like you:
    Have time to shop and cook healthy
    Need to eat every 4-5 hours, if not a meal, then need a hearty snack that includes protein.
    Need to plan a snack close to bedtime if your last meal isn't late that day.
    Do very well at exercising.
    Do you take a rest day?
  • larochelle9120
    I try to do a rest day before my weigh in, problem is if I work that day I’m up on my feet running around. So, not really a day I’m resting.
    I think when I look at the time I’m spending being healthy. I think wow, this wasn’t mornetime consuming or constraining then I thought it would be. I can actually fit this in.